Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:57 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times

Advertisements

Twin Cities should also include Ecolab. Can we also include those sellouts, Medtronic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 10:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Woo, that would be really rough for Connecticut. I think this probably has a lot to do with the state in general letting its cities sort of go to seed. I don't think I've been to anywhere that had the sort of city/suburbs inequality be so prevalent as Connecticut. I hope they address it soon as the state was once, a good long while back, known for its charming cities.
It's actually devastating because the Hartford area has fostered an economic identity for itself by way of the insurance industry and Aetna is the biggest player in town for that. This identity has been with Hartford for decades now. I'm sorry to hear of this proposition by Aetna.

I just reached back in London about an hour and a half ago but as soon as I get more time I have to do a round of updates. At least 6-7 more compilation threads incoming.

Also to the Boston posters a few posts above, Boston is really on a roll these days. First General Electric and now maybe Aetna. You can easily see why Boston is highly regarded by the academic and research communities worldwide now.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:15 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNYTXNY View Post
Aetna is more than likely moving its headquarters to Manhattan.

New York Winning Competition for Aetna Headquarters. — Daily Ructions
Very true. NYC has been the front runner for the HQ. At the same time Aetna is actively looking for up to 400k square feet in the Seaport in Boston to open a Tech branch. This could end up being a huge win for both NYC and Boston at the same time.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:48 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I hope Aetna finds a way to stay and help make Hartford as a whole more attractive. This would be a pretty harsh blow to Hartford and Connecticut. Boston or NYC will do just fine without the addition, but Hartford without Aetna is going to see some pretty trying times. This also comes on the heel of the commuter rail line in Hartford just about to come online, so it's pretty terrible timing.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:08 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
There's talk of Aetna moving to Virginia too. I guess they are courting many suitors looking for the best deal.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 12,593 times
Pittsburgh has 5 again, not 4. Alcoa moved its headquarters back to Pittsburgh, where it belongs, from New York.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:14 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Twin Cities should also include Ecolab. Can we also include those sellouts, Medtronic?
The morons at Forbes have Ecolab listed as being headquartered in St. Paul, MI. As far as Medtronic is concerned, the CEO and the executive team are still located in the Minneapolis area (Fridley) so... it's still a US-based company IMO.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:26 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
This belongs here I suppose...
Charlotte loses title of No. 2 banking city to San Francisco | Charlotte Observer

Old 06-09-2017, 11:38 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh is absolutely depressing. This city used to be so important on a national level and is now a shell of its former self. So many of our major corporations were absorbed by bigger players and moved to other cities or are just struggling to stay afloat financially. Oh, but we have the best sports teams in the country I guess? (Shrug).
You should make a Global 2000 company in Pittsburgh then.

Also, Pittsburgh will sort of have six instead of four. Alcoa is moving to Pittsburgh in September and Kraft Heinz technically is co-headquartered in both Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:11 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Somewhat of a misleading title. Charlotte was NEVER the second largest banking center / city. Bank of America, which is based in Charlotte, was the second largest bank in the US based on total assets. That's all the ranking is based on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City