Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Gay Neighborhood
West Village (NYC) 11 11.58%
Boystown (Chicago) 28 29.47%
Gayborhood (Philly) 8 8.42%
Castro (SF) 17 17.89%
South End (Boston) 2 2.11%
DuPont Circle (DC) 2 2.11%
Other 27 28.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 05:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
"The Strip" is said to have the highest concentration of gay owned businesses in the U.S.
Whether that's fact or not, i'm not sure, but it is pretty darn densely developed. Off of the strip, yes it's a bit more sprinkled throughout the general Oak Lawn area (it's still within a small amount of square miles) and that's not counting the businesses in other neighborhoods as well (Deep Ellum, Knox-Henderson, etc.).
Dur, mea culpa. I was messing Dallas up with Orlando, you guys are correct. I have been to Oaklawn and yes it is as you said. Gayborhood mix-up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
I think Boystown is so neat! I lived by there very briefly in the 90s before I rejoined my relocated family. Good times even though I am straight

Old 06-01-2017, 05:37 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I've never been to Hell's Kitchen or Boystown, but I plan on going this summer with a few friends. I dont know why but I really love these type of neighborhoods, they are so eclectic and the architecture is amazing (mixture of old and new designs). I have been to Oak Lawn, Gayborhood, Chelsea (NYC), DuPointe, Atlanta (the whole city IMO) & Castro, but my favorite (since I am a Texan) is Montrose.
You'll love Hell's Kitchen. A lot of the clubs there are relatively diverse, which isn't something you see a lot of in many gay clubs. I'm a big fan of Therapy, Industry, and Space Ibiza.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:13 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chelsea is definitely New York's biggest gay neighborhood, although I'm not sure that it's gayer by percentage of population. West of 7th ave is still pretty gay. Either way, I went with the West Village because it's the historic seat of gay New York and the birthplace of the gay rights movement.

Hells Kitchen has taken over that title. Chelsea still has a lot of gay people (I think most Manhattan neighborhoods do), but all the fresh young gays entering NYC are obsessed with HK for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
West Village as the gay neighborhood in New York?! No one would consider West Village a gayborhood anymore.

For New York the debate would be whether Chelsea or Hell's Kitchen is the gayborhood. The most gay night life is in Hell's Kitchen and as a personal anecdote my gay friends who have moved to Manhattan purposely picked there.

NYC is one of the few American cities where gay people don't cluster into one small neighborhood. West Village most certainly has a lot of gay residents, as does Chelsea, HK, even Union Square, LES. A lot of my gay friends actually live in the UES. But the new center of the action I would say is HK.

I also love Philadelphia's gayborhood, its just a very small area.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:25 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
Hell's Kitchen is definitely the center of gay life in New York these days, but I still wouldn't consider it a gayborhood, as it's way too diverse. Gay culture is by no means the dominant culture there, as many nightspots as it may have. Chelsea feels more gay even if it isn't literally more gay, and that would be my overall pick as well.

These are all great neighborhoods, of course. Though not gay myself, gayborhoods are always among my favorite neighborhoods. They just have the best atmosphere and the coolest stuff.

A couple of people mentioned Provincetown. I don't think that qualifies because it's not a neighborhood -- it's a gay resort town, which is different -- but it's probably the gayest place I've ever been. It makes me sad that I live just barely out of day-trip range (though I took one last summer anyway). Just a spectacular place with so much art, so much food, so much shopping, so much charm, beaches right off the main drag, all sorts of couples and families (gay and straight) walking around having a great time.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:29 PM

765 posts, read 897,842 times
I think Capitol Hill would be in the top 10, I haven't been to East Coast or Texas gayborhoods though

Old 06-01-2017, 04:05 PM

422 posts, read 396,174 times
Castro

Old 06-01-2017, 05:01 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I think Capitol Hill would be in the top 10, I haven't been to East Coast or Texas gayborhoods though
I've been to Capitol Hill and had no idea it was a gay neighborhood.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've been to Capitol Hill and had no idea it was a gay neighborhood.
You must have missed the 12 rainbow colored crosswalks. Or maybe you visited before they painted them in 2015.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6140...7i13312!8i6656

Colorful crosswalks celebrate gay pride in Seattle | The Seattle Times

Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Capitol Hill is very much watered down and not nearly as gay as it was as recently as 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City