Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better overall in your opinion?
Louisville 16 17.39%
Pittsburgh 71 77.17%
Tie 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 24 days ago)

5,774 posts, read 5,540,170 times

Advertisements

You put an onus on safety and crime, in which case, Louisville is the safer city overall. Pittsburgh isn't a city one would feel in constant danger, though. So using Cleveland as the base, you can't go wrong in either city, bit Louisville is going to be more safe overall...

Both cities are going to be a little more expensive than Cleveland, but really, these aren't expensive cities to live in at all. I looked into the cost of living and rents and home prices when I was in Pittsburgh earlier this month--not that I'm thinking of moving there, but several posters have completely dramatized Pittsburgh as "expensive". Coming from either Coast, Pittsburgh is outstanding...

I think you'd find a high quality of life in either city, and probably a higher quality of life than Cleveland can offer right now. Pittsburgh has a very bustling CBD, and some nice business districts around town, but it isn't a loud city. If that matters to you, Pittsburgh compares well...

I'd go with Pittsburgh if you want the closest option to home that meets your criteria. I'd go with Louisville if you wanted somewhere with a little more contrast from what you're used to. Not really a wrong answer here. Follow your heart...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 04:30 PM

816 posts, read 1,387,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You put an onus on safety and crime, in which case, Louisville is the safer city overall. Pittsburgh isn't a city one would feel in constant danger, though. So using Cleveland as the base, you can't go wrong in either city, bit Louisville is going to be more safe overall...
Those are my exact thoughts lol. If I can bare the bad areas of Cleveland, I'm hoping either Louisville or Pittsburgh would be walks in the park.... It is VERY noisy in most of Cleveland's neighborhoods and that is one of the main factors I want to get out of here. Way way way too many thugs around here and when there are large amounts of thugs, there's usually LOTS of noise at all hours of day and night.... I'm simply just sick of it and I can't really afford to move out to the suburbs; I'm pretty much restricted to urban-ish areas

Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 16,660,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Those are my exact thoughts lol. If I can bare the bad areas of Cleveland, I'm hoping either Louisville or Pittsburgh would be walks in the park.... It is VERY noisy in most of Cleveland's neighborhoods and that is one of the main factors I want to get out of here. Way way way too many thugs around here and when there are large amounts of thugs, there's usually LOTS of noise at all hours of day and night.... I'm simply just sick of it and I can't really afford to move out to the suburbs; I'm pretty much restricted to urban-ish areas
Louisville has lots of thugs too, and so does Pittsburgh, but not like Cleveland. Louisville had record homicides last year, but the rate was still lower than most major cities.

Avoid West Louisville past 9th street. They are cleaning up a place called Portland, but I wouldn't live there.
West Louisville is basically a smaller East Cleveland, not as bad

Old 05-29-2017, 05:30 PM

722 posts, read 794,329 times
Pittsburgh over Louisville. Easily.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,862,791 times
Louisville is your choice if you want a lower cost of living, Pittsburgh is your choice if you want to be closer to home. Pittsburgh is a really popular city on CD for some reason and I do like Pittsburgh but for me this is a toss up. Pittsburgh offers a little more big city amenities but I would chose Louisville.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:50 PM

816 posts, read 1,387,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Louisville is your choice if you want a lower cost of living, Pittsburgh is your choice if you want to be closer to home. Pittsburgh is a really popular city on CD for some reason and I do like Pittsburgh but for me this is a toss up. Pittsburgh offers a little more big city amenities but I would chose Louisville.
Thanks. Out of curiosity, what are your reasons for choosing Louisville?

Old 05-29-2017, 05:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,862,791 times
Quote:
Thanks. Out of curiosity, what are your reasons for choosing Louisville?
It has a way more laid back vibe and better 4 season weather not as cold in the winter. You should visit both cities and make a pro's and con's list that is that I did when I narrowed my choices down to Nashville and Atlanta.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:00 PM

14,641 posts, read 14,532,913 times
Both are nice cities but for your criteria I'd choose Louisville. The food there is awesome for a city of its size and location. There is crime but it seems to be relegated to certain neighborhoods. Youll need a car though, since it's pretty spread out. I really liked the Highlands/ Bardstown Road area when I visited.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,910,343 times
I've never been to Louisville, so I'm not going to weigh in on the city-vs-city aspect. I just want to let you know that Pittsburgh's cost of living is much lower than the naysayer would have you think. A lot of them are stuck in the 90's and still expect 100k rowhouses and $450 rents.

You can find a 1br in most (safe) Pittsburgh neighborhoods for $750 or less. They just won't be modern, and the areas will be boring. You can still find apartments in the most desirable, vibrant, walkable areas in the $1000 range (although they won't be particularly modern either).

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/6150008120.html
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/6130135810.html
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/6123926360.html
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/6133991524.html
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/6149209290.html
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/6106733480.html
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/6115378346.html

Old 05-30-2017, 10:31 AM

162 posts, read 147,994 times
Quote:
I am looking to possibly relocate and these two cities have intrigued me. I am currently in Cleveland and prefer to move some place that is a relatively close drive back home. I love that they are both river cities, but Pittsburgh's hilly topography gives it the slight edge in natural beauty/landscape. I love hilly cities. I also love that both have rowhomes. I'm a big fan of older architecture and both cities seem to have nice, older homes/building. Night life is not important to me one bit. I am a foodie, so food is important! School is also important as I will be transferring to university. I am under the impression that University of Louisville and Pitt are both great schools, so it seems to be a wash in that department. Safety and crime are huge factors for me. I am looking to escape the high crime of Cleveland. Affordability is also huge as I am used to lower cost of living in Cleveland. Pittsburgh also edges out Louisville in terms of sports obviously.... so which city is best overall in your guys' opinion? I'd love to hear any opinions and/or advice!
I went to junior high and high school in Pittsburgh and moved to Louisville for college. I have to say, both cities are extremely overrated on City Data, but Louisville seems like they have an active chamber of commerce that pays people to promote the city, it's extremely annoying. You would think that Louisville competes with London. Personally, I like Cleveland the best of the bunch (culture, food, people, natural amenities), but if you're narrowed down to these two cities, go with Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a closer drive to Cleveland, and you can still experience what both Pittsburgh and Cleveland have to offer. Driving between Pittsburgh and Cleveland doesn't become a huge part of your day where you need to plan things around driving. Judging by your post, it sounds like you're leaning towards Pittsburgh. People constantly promote amenities, but you can really find whatever you're looking for in most medium sized metros in the country.

Have you considered other areas? I am now living in Cincinnati and I love it. I know plenty of people from Louisville here as well. I went to UofL and many have found jobs working for companies in Cincy. It has the hilly topography, the awesome old architecture, it's a river city with plenty of old homes in spectacular neighborhoods. You have the University of Cincinnati as well. Just something to consider. I am sure you have considered other cities as well. I'm in the same boat, trying to look for a grad school program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City