Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Where would you Spend It
Los Angeles 27 45.00%
Las Vegas 22 36.67%
Washington dc 7 11.67%
Other 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times

Advertisements

I have spent past birthdays in Chicago, Dallas, New York City, Atlanta, New Orleans ,Florida, Nashville, and Memphis...New York City was a huge blast one of My Best Birthdays EVER... Lately I have spent my birthdays in the South and Chicago...But for 2018 I want too do it Big Again, Like New York City. I GOT IT DOWN TO 3 Cities, Los Angeles California, Las Vegas, Nevada, or one Washington DC, direct me to which is best to celebrate your birthday

-Best Overall Vibe
-Most Birthday Activities
-Best Hotels suitable for a birthday
-Best Mueseums to spend a birthday during the day
-Best Nightlife to celebrate a birthday at Night
-Best Concentration of activities in One Area such as the Strip or French Quarter
( I must say in Dallas all activities had to be driven too where else in New Orleans you could park the car one time and be in the middle of everything, would prefer a place where everything is concentrated like New Orleans)

I have Never Been To California, So Going to Los Angeles for the first time Would be extra special!!

Like Wise I have never been to Las Vegas or Nevada, Which One would be most impressive for a first time visit, L.A or Las Vegas???

I Have been to Washington DC once and Loved It!! But that was years ago and I'm due for another visit to DC, I'm as enthralled by Grand Museums as I am a nightclub, so DC,s perceived lack of nightlife is not a turnoff to me , I know DC doesn't match Vegas nightlife but being Awed by the White House for a second time and the Smithsonian Museums and Monuments and DC shopping more than makes up for it. DC is definitely in play here

So Where should I spend July 10, 2018 at, help me by telling which City You Would Spend YOUR birthday @ if given a chance

LOS ANGELES
LAS VEGAS
WASHINGTON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
I've been to DC four times in my life. It's basically a city full of the likes or the wannabes of Ann Coulter, Hillary Clinton, Anthony Weiner, Stephen Miller, etc., something noticeable even its nightlife. Some of the locals (especially blacks) are generally fine, but the city's scene is so overrun by that which is political that it is a city that takes itself too seriously, IMO. As a bonus, across the river in Virginia, you find the airports that serve DC, but also the speed trap capital of the East Coast. I think I'd pass on DC.

Las Vegas has no appeal to me. I've lived in California for six years and it seems like everyone and their grandma goes to Vegas three times a year. Not me, haven't been yet. I'm going in September to meet up with family who are flying out there from back east, but I'm more interested in seeing family than gambling. However, "What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas."

I've spent two birthdays in a row here in Los Angeles, meeting up with family who flew out from back east to celebrate with me. I've lived in the L.A. for a combined total of 2.5 years and like it here overall, so while I know I'm biased, I'd far rather celebrate a birthday in L.A. than DC or Vegas. The electricity of L.A. is underrated and underappreciated, IMO, for the simple reason that we still share the same country with that apple-shaped "City That Never Sleeps"...

Old 07-16-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I've been to DC four times in my life. It's basically a city full of the likes or the wannabes of Ann Coulter, Hillary Clinton, Anthony Weiner, Stephen Miller, etc., something noticeable even its nightlife. Some of the locals (especially blacks) are generally fine, but the city's scene is so overrun by that which is political that it is a city that takes itself too seriously, IMO. As a bonus, across the river in Virginia, you find the airports that serve DC, but also the speed trap capital of the East Coast. I think I'd pass on DC.

Las Vegas has no appeal to me. I've lived in California for six years and it seems like everyone and their grandma goes to Vegas three times a year. Not me, haven't been yet. I'm going in September to meet up with family who are flying out there from back east, but I'm more interested in seeing family than gambling. However, "What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas."

I've spent two birthdays in a row here in Los Angeles, meeting up with family who flew out from back east to celebrate with me. I've lived in the L.A. for a combined total of 2.5 years and like it here overall, so while I know I'm biased, I'd far rather celebrate a birthday in L.A. than DC or Vegas. The electricity of L.A. is underrated and underappreciated, IMO, for the simple reason that we still share the same country with that apple-shaped "City That Never Sleeps"...
Really, I like a city that has that Palpable Energy and Electricity. Is 3 or 4 days enough or will I Be Overwhelmed since it'd be my first time in Cali

Old 07-16-2017, 07:40 PM

Another thing, Being From Tennessee I'm sure I'm sure Driving is not an option. How's the plane fares at LAX

Old 07-16-2017, 07:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Another thing, Being From Tennessee I'm sure I'm sure Driving is not an option. How's the plane fares at LAX
You have to plan ahead. From the Southeast to L.A., the lowest fares start around $375.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:50 PM

34 posts, read 33,286 times
I've never been to Vegas, but it's never held much allure for me. Between L.A. and D.C., I'd choose D.C.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You have to plan ahead. From the Southeast to L.A., the lowest fares start around $375.
Well, it depends. If the OP can catch flights on Frontier or Southwest, he can fly out of Memphis or Nashville, respectively. He also has the option of, depending where in the state he lives, driving to Atlanta and flying out of there. I personally have flown round-trip between L.A. and the Southeast for about $300, but it does require research and planning.

Also, there's a surprising amount of business and tourism traffic between L.A. and Nashville, so the OP might be surprised about being able to fly to L.A. at a likely comparable rate to flying to, say, Miami.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Really, I like a city that has that Palpable Energy and Electricity. Is 3 or 4 days enough or will I Be Overwhelmed since it'd be my first time in Cali
L.A. is very different from other major world, Alpha cities such as New York, Hong Kong, Mexico City, London, Paris, Singapore, Washington, etc. in that in the latter cities, you can stick toward tourist-oriented districts or famous neighborhoods and experience much, though still not all, of what those cities have to offer.

L.A., by contrast, is a sort of horizontal New York or Hong Kong; still very densely populated, still a city of neighborhoods, but one with a car-oriented, spread-out geography. L.A. is, as rapidly as it can, redeveloping their transit system and making great strides, but it won't be another 20-30 years before L.A. can even begin to rival the systems found in cities like L.A. and Hong Kong, let along Shanghai. However, what's great about L.A. is that it gave a middle finger, of sorts, to the rest of the world in terms of its urban development, and its being different has become instrumental to its success and uniqueness as a city. This has also resulted in numerous smaller centers of energy, such as downtown L.A., Koreatown, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, and Venice, as well as spread-out cultural hubs such as Koreatown, Little Ethiopia, San Gabriel Valley, and Glendale.

As such, it will be absolutely impossible for you to explore all that even the city proper of L.A. has to offer in 3-4 days, so I'd just split my time between the beach (Santa Monica and Venice), westside nightlife (Hollywood and, if you don't mind the gayest community in North America, West Hollywood), and downtown nightlife (I love Angel City Brewery in the Arts District and the observation deck and bar in U.S. Bank Tower). Maybe you can get in a good hike at Griffith Park, Runyon Canyon, Kenneth Hahn, or Topanga Canyon.

L.A. will require more planning than DC or Vegas. As such, I think L.A. would be more rewarding. For what it's worth, I grew up in Kentucky and while I love going back home to visit, and while I'll even be leaving L.A. soon to do some globetrotting, I have fallen in love with L.A.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBrown77 View Post
I've never been to Vegas, but it's never held much allure for me. Between L.A. and D.C., I'd choose D.C.
Even though I just gave my defense of and schpiel about LA, I'll say this in DC's defense: It has all of the offerings of the National Mall, Georgetown, Chinatown, Dupont Circle, and Logan Circle. Definitely enough there for a long weekend, too.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
I am an LA native who also lived in Washington, D.C. for five years in the late 90's/early 2000's.

OP: What time of the year is your birthday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City