U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city and/or metropolitan region is the 'Face of North America'?
New York (Greater New York) 77 50.66%
Mexico City (the Mexico City metropolitan area) 3 1.97%
Los Angeles (Greater Los Angeles) 9 5.92%
Chicago (Greater Chicago) 21 13.82%
Washington D.C. or Baltimore (the DMV MSA AND/OR Greater Washington DC-Baltimore)) 4 2.63%
San Francisco, San Jose, or Oakland (the San Francisco Bay Area) 1 0.66%
Toronto (Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area AND/OR Greater Golden Horseshoe) 8 5.26%
Boston (Greater Boston) 1 0.66%
Dallas or Fort Worth (the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex) 2 1.32%
Houston (Greater Houston) 3 1.97%
Miami or Fort Lauderdale (the South Florida Metropolis) 0 0%
Atlanta (Greater Atlanta 1 0.66%
Philadelphia (Greater Philadelphia) 2 1.32%
Montreal (Montreal metropolitan region) 2 1.32%
Detroit or Windsor (Metro Detroit-Windsor Region) 2 1.32%
Seattle (the Pudget Sound Region) 1 0.66%
San Diego or Tijuana (the San Diego/Tijuana binational conurbation) 1 0.66%
Guadalajara (Greater Guadalajara) 0 0%
Monterrey (Greater Monterrey) 1 0.66%
Phoenix (the Valley of the Sun Region) 1 0.66%
Vancouver (Greater Vancouver) 0 0%
Minneapolis or Saint Paul (the Twin Cities metropolitan area) 1 0.66%
Denver (Greater Denver) 1 0.66%
Portland (Greater Portland) 0 0%
Tampa (the Tampa Bay Area) 0 0%
Orlando (Greater Orlando) 0 0%
Cleveland (Greater Cleveland) 1 0.66%
Saint Louis (Metro Saint Louis) 1 0.66%
Puebla (the Puebla metropolitan area) 0 0%
New Orleans (the New Orleans metropolitan area) 0 0%
Las Vegas (Greater Las Vegas) 0 0%
Calgary (the Calgary metropolitan area) 0 0%
Ottawa (the Canadian National Capital Region) 0 0%
Cincinnati (the Cincinnati metropolitan area) 0 0%
Pittsburgh (the Pittsburgh metropolitan area) 0 0%
Charlotte (the Metrolina Region) 1 0.66%
San Antonio (Greater San Antonio) 0 0%
Salt Lake City (Greater Salt Lake) 1 0.66%
Austin (Greater Austin) 0 0%
Sacramento (Greater Sacramento) 1 0.66%
Columbus (Greater Columbus) 0 0%
Indianapolis (Greater Indianapolis) 0 0%
Louisville (the Louisville metropolitan area) 3 1.97%
Kansas City (Greater Kansas City) 2 1.32%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:37 PM

178 posts, read 69,980 times

Advertisements

My first thought was NYC but then I always take issue with NYC representing the U.S. as if it is truly representative to most of America.
NYC has very little in common with Dallas or LA or even some smaller cities like Lincoln Nebraska or Fargo N.D.
Let me add that neither does Chicago but more so than NYC for this topic.

Since we are discussing North America I would think that because the culture of the US is so strong,it could not be any other city but one from the U.S.

Canadian cities like Toronto do not have the strong cultural or historical ties known around the world nor the influence that many U.S. cities do.

So for those reason I pick Chicago.So much has come out of Chicago and it has more in common with more regions of the U.S. and even Canada than NYC.
Chicago has deep ties to the South which is responsible for much of American culture like music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 09:25 PM

621 posts, read 362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
?????
Bro; i love your threads but.... how many ways can we worship Metropolis??
how many ways can you skin a cat??? Do Bears crap in the woods?

Will this post get deleted by the mods cuz i try to tell you there's even more beyond all the traffic? yes SF is AWESOME cuz it's so GD crowded.

BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER (like SEATTLE) like you said it the other day.

....did you know there's a storm that spun between Antarctica, South America, and South Africa in the South Atlantic the other day that's so damn big; it's gonna send surf all the way to Cape Hatteras, Jersey, Long Island, New England and Nova Scotia?

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/on...ll-ser_147761/

Look closely at the arrows from the first image: The fetch is aimed right at the US East Coast from 6,600 miles away! ....and the waves will reach us!

This storm has nearly done the impossible!

The pro's are chasing the swell across the africa as we speak. Now They're heading to Barbados. Others headed to J-Bay where Fanning almost got munched by that Great White 2 years ago.

But first you'll need to see this wave in Namibia PERHAPS THE BEST SANDBAR/POINT ON EARTH (and one of the hardest surf spots on earth to get to)..... the man who discovered this spot 10 years ago, Florida surfer Cory Lopez returns for more....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgRDpYWcPE

NOW that storm has filled up half the Indian Ocean! Indo, West Oz and New Zealand are all gonna light up w/ XXL surf!!

see the 2nd image shows the 50 year storm hitting Cape Town!

the third shows the storm winding up in the Indian Ocean!
Peace!

Last edited by odurandina; 06-09-2017 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 10:00 PM

4,683 posts, read 2,919,580 times
I voted for Chicago, despite its problems. Why? Because it remains a true industrial city that also still is mid-America.
Corporate HQ's, great skyline, a booming in-city residential scene, and the suburbs are still strong. The folks that live here are very representative of our country, but it also welcomes outsiders. The ethnic demos are quite diverse, and that is a good thing. While NYC is certainly the business capital of the US, Chicago is perhaps the best "face" of the country here in 2017.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:07 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Chicago is "more representative" of the U.S. than NYC, that is for sure. I don't know why that makes it the "face" of North America, though.

The "most representative" cities would be those that are closest to the "norm". Places like Columbus, Indianapolis and the like. Those would be even better examples than Chicago, if we're judging this on a "most typical" standard. Columbus is so "average" that restaurants and retailers frequently launch in Columbus because it's so average.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:15 PM

4,683 posts, read 2,919,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Chicago is "more representative" of the U.S. than NYC, that is for sure. I don't know why that makes it the "face" of North America, though.

The "most representative" cities would be those that are closest to the "norm". Places like Columbus, Indianapolis and the like. Those would be even better examples than Chicago, if we're judging this on a "most typical" standard. Columbus is so "average" that restaurants and retailers frequently launch in Columbus because it's so average.
You make a good point, and tend to agree with it. But for such polls, I think many need the assurance of a big city to be representative. Because we can't be wimpy when it comes to these polls.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:

True BUT Chicago is also very international.Much more so than Columbus or any other city in the midwest.So if you gonna pick a city it should have many different aspects which would make it more representative of the rest of N.America

Old 06-10-2017, 05:49 AM

148 posts, read 68,763 times
I was really torn on this one between Louisville and Orlando, but ultimately I had to go with Louisville. (Why did you include so many ridiculous options in your poll?)

Old 06-10-2017, 11:21 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
True BUT Chicago is also very international.Much more so than Columbus or any other city in the midwest.So if you gonna pick a city it should have many different aspects which would make it more representative of the rest of N.America
Chicago isn't particularly international. It has a lower % foreign born than most of the other major U.S. cities.

But yeah, Chicago is significantly more foreign-born than Columbus. But that would make it less representative of "middle America", not more representative. In the context of this discussion, you want fewer foreign-born people to be more "average", no?

Old 06-10-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Chicago isn't particularly international. It has a lower % foreign born than most of the other major U.S. cities.

But yeah, Chicago is significantly more foreign-born than Columbus. But that would make it less representative of "middle America", not more representative. In the context of this discussion, you want fewer foreign-born people to be more "average", no?
What I mean is for this discussion,its about the most representative of the entire North American Continent.
America makes up a large part of that equation so a large city would make more sense.
International is not just foreign born but in commerce,influence and notoriety.
Chicago more so than any other city save NYC has that.
Columbus is not known outside the U.S..Memorable scenes in movies are'nt shot in Columbus

Old 06-10-2017, 09:18 PM

1,463 posts, read 906,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
New York surely.. followed by Toronto, it's like a slightly cleaner New York, also super diverse.
Then why did you vote for Toronto and not New York? I smell a booster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or