Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city and/or metropolitan region is the 'Face of North America'?
New York (Greater New York) 78 50.98%
Mexico City (the Mexico City metropolitan area) 3 1.96%
Los Angeles (Greater Los Angeles) 9 5.88%
Chicago (Greater Chicago) 21 13.73%
Washington D.C. or Baltimore (the DMV MSA AND/OR Greater Washington DC-Baltimore)) 4 2.61%
San Francisco, San Jose, or Oakland (the San Francisco Bay Area) 1 0.65%
Toronto (Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area AND/OR Greater Golden Horseshoe) 8 5.23%
Boston (Greater Boston) 1 0.65%
Dallas or Fort Worth (the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex) 2 1.31%
Houston (Greater Houston) 3 1.96%
Miami or Fort Lauderdale (the South Florida Metropolis) 0 0%
Atlanta (Greater Atlanta 1 0.65%
Philadelphia (Greater Philadelphia) 2 1.31%
Montreal (Montreal metropolitan region) 2 1.31%
Detroit or Windsor (Metro Detroit-Windsor Region) 2 1.31%
Seattle (the Pudget Sound Region) 1 0.65%
San Diego or Tijuana (the San Diego/Tijuana binational conurbation) 1 0.65%
Guadalajara (Greater Guadalajara) 0 0%
Monterrey (Greater Monterrey) 1 0.65%
Phoenix (the Valley of the Sun Region) 1 0.65%
Vancouver (Greater Vancouver) 0 0%
Minneapolis or Saint Paul (the Twin Cities metropolitan area) 1 0.65%
Denver (Greater Denver) 1 0.65%
Portland (Greater Portland) 0 0%
Tampa (the Tampa Bay Area) 0 0%
Orlando (Greater Orlando) 0 0%
Cleveland (Greater Cleveland) 1 0.65%
Saint Louis (Metro Saint Louis) 1 0.65%
Puebla (the Puebla metropolitan area) 0 0%
New Orleans (the New Orleans metropolitan area) 0 0%
Las Vegas (Greater Las Vegas) 0 0%
Calgary (the Calgary metropolitan area) 0 0%
Ottawa (the Canadian National Capital Region) 0 0%
Cincinnati (the Cincinnati metropolitan area) 0 0%
Pittsburgh (the Pittsburgh metropolitan area) 0 0%
Charlotte (the Metrolina Region) 1 0.65%
San Antonio (Greater San Antonio) 0 0%
Salt Lake City (Greater Salt Lake) 1 0.65%
Austin (Greater Austin) 0 0%
Sacramento (Greater Sacramento) 1 0.65%
Columbus (Greater Columbus) 0 0%
Indianapolis (Greater Indianapolis) 0 0%
Louisville (the Louisville metropolitan area) 3 1.96%
Kansas City (Greater Kansas City) 2 1.31%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

What city deserves to be recognized as the 'Face of the North American Continent'?

- Maintains visible to strong social and cultural connections (demographics, cultural influence, migration/immigration, perhaps political)

- Has the most ideal location on the continent to maintain trade routes, air routes, and connections throughout the continent

- Has the most visible economic impact throughout the continent

- Has the most extensive infrastructure connecting it to various points on the continent (airports, passenger train, major highway systems, cruise terminals)

Feel free to add additional criteria if needed.

What city is the best embodiment of the full of North America as a continent, when factoring in Canada, Mexico, and the United States?

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-06-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM

Two things;

1. I went ahead and added as many cities into the poll as I could think of off the top of my head. I would assume there would be little, if any, hurt feelings regarding cities being on the poll or not. To the few metropolitan areas over 1 million people that I may have forgotten to include on the poll, please just use the "Other" option available to you and I apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced at this time.

2. My personal vote would go to Chicago. It is located centrally to the entire continent, well not exact center as that would be either Nebraska or Kansas, but close enough. Chicago has a massive Mexican population from varied Mexican states across Mexico and is the logistical center of the entire North American continent as it sees the highest volume of freight activity and assumes among the most interstate highway systems/national highway network of any metropolis in North America. Lots of roads "lead there", don't they? Chicago also has a decent sized expat-Canadian community and maintains strong economic ties with both Canada and Mexico. O'Hare International has the air routes and logistical links for both passenger and cargo throughout the North American continent. Finally, Chicago both sends transplants and receives transplants from all corners of the United States, making it a focal location that funnels people from all over the continent. Not saying Chicago is the most important metropolitan region in all of North America, that would be a runaway for New York, however, I feel Chicago may just be the best overall embodiment of the North American continent. However, I think the door is left open for debate there. I also believe that Chicago's famous tagline of "the most quintessentially American city" is now outdated, I feel the city has graduated to a level up from there, it is the most quintessential North American city, not just American, but all of North America.

Had this thread been the 'Face of the entire Western Hemisphere', meaning North America and South America, then my answer would be Miami and its South Florida Metropolis by the way the region converges the two Americas together in one location and embodies that sector of the planet, however, for just North America, I think Chicago. Had this thread been the 'Face of the entire World at-large', then my answer would be New York (or London), as I think New York's graduated from this discussion on North America.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-06-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 04:11 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
Monterrey. Beautiful beach and coastline. Carmel , Pebble Beach. and you can go Bug Sur. Face of North America. It says North America is beautiful.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:18 PM

403 posts, read 462,494 times
New York is the most powerful economic center in the western hemisphere and has huge diversity to boot. It is the center of the North America continent.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:29 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
New York is the most powerful economic center in the western hemisphere and has huge diversity to boot. It is the center of the North America continent.
Few cities could potentially take on NYC for the face of the world.

This is not even close.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:29 PM

591 posts, read 820,740 times
NYC won this poll before it even started

Old 06-06-2017, 05:00 PM

223 posts, read 314,988 times
New York City by a landslide. It's not even close.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:00 PM

That does seem to be the case here. New York it is then!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:52 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
I think New York is easily the first city that people all around the world would name if you asked them to name a city in North America. I don't think there is a lot of room for debate on this one. NY doesn't seem to have a lot of competition on this continent.

It would be really interesting to see a thread like this for Europe or Asia though.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
NYC by a massive landslide.

Arguably the most important city on earth, so certainly the most important in North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City