Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:19 AM

108 posts, read 143,408 times

Advertisements

Three peer cities. Which city has the most potential and brightest future? In my humble opinion I believe at the moment Charlotte is ahead, followed by austin then Nashville. However, Nashville is so hot that within the next decade I think it will be heads and shoulders above Charlotte and Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
I think Nashville has the most growth potential.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I think it may be Charlotte simply due to its location along the eastern seaboard.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:36 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Smashville, Cashville gets my vote!!! Charlotte may be at the top of the pack right now due to local but at the rate Nashville is growing, not to mention popularity among all groups of people including imigrates that's sure to change

Old 06-07-2017, 02:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Smashville, Cashville gets my vote!!! Charlotte may be at the top of the pack right now due to local but at the rate Nashville is growing, not to mention popularity among all groups of people including imigrates that's sure to change
Nashville isn't popular among all groups of people, although it's popular overall.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:46 PM

124 posts, read 202,948 times
Speaking as a long-time resident of Nashville, what with all the construction going on and businesses relocating here, I think it's got potential to even surpass Charlotte and become the next Atlanta. That being said, it seems like there aren't enough available resources to add even slightly attractive new buildings, mainly downtown but also in East Nashville and 12 South, so I could see aesthetics maybe being a bit of a stumbling block in terms of real estate.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:57 PM

146 posts, read 223,611 times
Charlotte is not only ahead, Charlotte's growth and new built environment destroys both Nash and A. TX.

Charlotte's built environment in Uptown and the new buildings they've added and are under construction are higher quality and much better architecture than both N and A. Couple that with Charlotte's fantastic rail transit system and Charlotte is blowing both away X 10. Nashville is adding some talls but they all look alike; cheap, ugly stucco or identical blue glass and Austin has a long ways to go before even have a dense skyline.

In every way Charlotte beats both together.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:04 PM

108 posts, read 143,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
Charlotte is not only ahead, Charlotte's growth and new built environment destroys both Nash and A. TX.

Charlotte's built environment in Uptown and the new buildings they've added and are under construction are higher quality and much better architecture than both N and A. Couple that with Charlotte's fantastic rail transit system and Charlotte is blowing both away X 10. Nashville is adding some talls but they all look alike; cheap, ugly stucco or identical blue glass and Austin has a long ways to go before even have a dense skyline.

While I do agree that Nashville gets the short end of the stick when it comes to imagination in this field, I think you're placing too much of an emphasis on architecture. What about the national profile? The TV show, the Stanley Cup, the constant media attention? Charlotte's light rail is why I think that its ahead of Nashville and Austin but 95% of it in my opinion. Austin even has one and its not impossible for Nashville to build one. Plans are under way for a 6 billion dollar system in Nashville. Whether it materializes pretty much determines its status in relation to Charlotte.

Example of media attention: https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterta.../#4eaeabd47a58

Last edited by Jadedfadedisbae; 06-07-2017 at 04:18 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 04:08 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Charlotte's built environment in Uptown and the new buildings they've added and are under construction are higher quality and much better architecture than both N and A.
I need to see receipts.

Quote:
Couple that with Charlotte's fantastic rail transit system and Charlotte is blowing both away X 10. Nashville is adding some talls but they all look alike; cheap, ugly stucco or identical blue glass and Austin has a long ways to go before even have a dense skyline.
Nashville zero stucco skyscrapers under construction.

Quote:
No it doesn't. Definitely not in every way.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Three cities in the same regional tier, but Nashville bringing up the rear. Austin and Nashville are closer to each other than either is to Charlotte...

City-Data doesn't like to acknowledge this, but Charlotte is comfortably a Top 25 present day American city (at worst #22), and angling for #20. Neither Austin or Nashville or in the Top 30, though I guess a case could be made for one or the other at 29 or 30. There is a noticeable gap between Charlotte and the other two. I've never been to Austin bit without a doubt Charlotte feels larger, and is, than Nashville. Charlotte may not quite be a "major city" just yet, but it's core, transportation infrastructure, and business climate put it much closer to being so than the other two...

And yes, this absolutely isn't a sweep of Charlotte destroying Nashville and Austin in every category. But objectively, most metrics of importance will favor Charlotte. All three are growing tremendously fast still, but clearly, Charlotte is in a different class, or if they are of the same tier, Charlotte is certainly at the opposite end from the other two...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City