U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2017, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
815 posts, read 499,492 times
Reputation: 741

Advertisements

Atlanta is all over the radio. Only New York rappers getting radio play are ASAP and French Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2017, 07:21 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,249 posts, read 5,548,685 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm 25 and am definitely know about hip-hop. There was still good hip-hop coming out in the early 2000s. I remember watching videos of my favorite artist, Nas, along with Em, 50 Cent, watching Tigger in the basement, etc. Elements​ of the culture were popular up until that time but were definitely fading out.
But did you watch Uncut? That's was real hip-hop

Yea, I remember Rap City the Basement. You'll listen to some of the freestyles, just to hear those same freestyles on an album later on down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2017, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,729,303 times
Reputation: 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
But did you watch Uncut? That's was real hip-hop

Yea, I remember Rap City the Basement.
Lol yeah I used to stay up to watch Tip Drill and P Poppin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 12:32 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,249 posts, read 5,548,685 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lol yeah I used to stay up to watch Tip Drill and P Poppin.
Tip Drill was always the last video on Uncut followed immediately by Peter Popoff's Christian informercials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,961 posts, read 3,261,725 times
Reputation: 3769
Boogie down Bronx is the birthplace and the first always takes precendent end of the story. Today's rap is pseudo, fake, and has no meaning. Music back then told a story and was orignal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 03:18 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,249 posts, read 5,548,685 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Boogie down Bronx is the birthplace and the first always takes precendent end of the story. Today's rap is pseudo, fake, and has no meaning. Music back then told a story and was orignal.
Today, the music they play on the radio is trash. I want to hear than songs about popping bottles, and popping pills. If you want real rap you'll have to dig deeper; that is the case for all cities. There are still some lyrical geniuses left from all regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 AM
 
305 posts, read 225,096 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Historically the answer is #1 NY #2 L.A #3 Atlanta

In today's time it's #1 Atlanta #2 L.A #3 NY

Arguably the best rappers out aren't even from Atlanta.

Drake ( Toronto )

Kendrick ( Compton )

J cole ( North Carolina )

We can argue Future and the Migos even though they're from Gwinett County.

But from 2000 - 12,Atlanta has been the biggest platform in hip hop.

In L.A we caught a ressuergence around 2013 with a few big heavy hitters.Dj Mustard,Nipsey,Kendrick,Yg,Ty dolla,
Schoolboy Q and couple others.

In NY,it's Young Ma & French Montana.Dave east is coming up too and Nicki Minaj isn't worth mentioning lol
What does being from Atlanta have to with anything? We are not talking about where someone was born or grew up, but where hip hop and rap artist are heading to to get noticed. That's like saying the majority of country music stars are not from Nashville, at least by birth, but if you are an inspiring country music singer you are going to have to at some point head to Nashville to get the kind of exposure you will need to launch your career. Same for Atlanta and rap music. Historically I agree NYC and LA reign supreme. The whole East Coast vs. West Coast thing from the 80's and 90's historically established genre. Today it's Atlanta and it's not even close. LA has lost a lot of influence over the years and NYC has also started to take a backseat to Atlanta. If you are an emerging rap star you are going to have to go to Atlanta at some point. You don't have to live there, true enough, but you will have to go there to get the kind of exposure that the city can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 07:32 AM
 
1,564 posts, read 1,011,810 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
What does being from Atlanta have to with anything? We are not talking about where someone was born or grew up, but where hip hop and rap artist are heading to to get noticed. That's like saying the majority of country music stars are not from Nashville, at least by birth, but if you are an inspiring country music singer you are going to have to at some point head to Nashville to get the kind of exposure you will need to launch your career. Same for Atlanta and rap music. Historically I agree NYC and LA reign supreme. The whole East Coast vs. West Coast thing from the 80's and 90's historically established genre. Today it's Atlanta and it's not even close. LA has lost a lot of influence over the years and NYC has also started to take a backseat to Atlanta. If you are an emerging rap star you are going to have to go to Atlanta at some point. You don't have to live there, true enough, but you will have to go there to get the kind of exposure that the city can offer.
Didn't i rank Atlanta #1 ? Lol what's the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 02:23 PM
 
305 posts, read 225,096 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Didn't i rank Atlanta #1 ? Lol what's the problem
I know you did. I give you credit for that too We mostly agree on the same points, I just wanted to clarify that Atlanta may not always have a strong tie to rappers living or being born in the area, but that it doesn't diminish is impact. Again not saying that you were making that point. I just took that one line from your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,294,196 times
Reputation: 1967
NYC: Late 70s - Mid 90s

ATL: Late 90s - Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top