U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:56 PM

836 posts, read 1,556,659 times

Advertisements

Bad matchup. New York City is the birthplace of Hip Hop. Almost every single major artist is originally from New York, if they're not, much of their music was produced in New York. Sure Atlanta has become known as the center of "dirty south" rap, but Hip Hop is far more than just rap music. Emceeing, DJing, breaking and graffiti writing are the original four elements of the Hip Hop culture and nobody in the world can touch NYC in any of those categories. So many other places are more worthy of a comparison than ATL. Los Angeles, Chicago and Philadelphia have undoubtedly had a bigger impact on Hip Hop. It can be argued that Miami, Houston and Oakland have as well. To even suggest that Atlanta can hold a candle to New York in Hip Hop is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 PM

7,243 posts, read 5,532,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Bad matchup. New York City is the birthplace of Hip Hop. Almost every single major artist is originally from New York, if they're not, much of their music was produced in New York. Sure Atlanta has become known as the center of "dirty south" rap, but Hip Hop is far more than just rap music. Emceeing, DJing, breaking and graffiti writing are the original four elements of the Hip Hop culture and nobody in the world can touch NYC in any of those categories. So many other places are more worthy of a comparison than ATL. Los Angeles, Chicago and Philadelphia have undoubtedly had a bigger impact on Hip Hop. It can be argued that Miami, Houston and Oakland have as well. To even suggest that Atlanta can hold a candle to New York in Hip Hop is silly.
That's the way it's been since 2003, and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down since then.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 PM

178 posts, read 69,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
So you think Atlanta is just "rap"?
Remeber LaFace,SoSo Def,Rowdy Records,in the 90's with artist like Toni Braxton,Monica,Usher,Jagged Edge,Az Yet,112,etc and producers like Dallas Austin,Jermaine Dupree,Rico Wade,lil John and many more.

Nobody is denying NYC prominence as the creator but Hip Hop has and is growing into more than it was.Graffitti art aint even prominent as it was in the culture but other things like film is now and Atlanta stands above the rest when you put it all together.

The hottest show in Hip hop culture now is "Atlanta" about the culture in Atlanta.

Several of the hottest artist out there for the last 10 years at least have come from Atlanta.
T.I..Future,2 Chains,Migos ,Soulja Boy,Jezzy,Young Thug,Lil Yachty and now Gucci Mane is back.
Lots of buzz about him.
Just look at Billbord Hip Hop charts now.Atlanta artist represent more than any other city and it aint even close.
Its silly how you can say anyone who can say Atlanta is somehow out of bounds/Have you opinion but come on lets be real

Many cities can claim success at some point in time but only Atlanta and New York seemed to be a constant.
It dont look like the game in Atlanta is slowing down at all.
You even have trap music blending new genres of music like with EDM
https://theringer.com/atlanta-rap-gu...r-cd17e2ef592c

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/30/a...ting.html?_r=0

Old 06-13-2017, 09:48 PM

2,988 posts, read 1,406,620 times
Nowadays from an international perspective-

Drake- everyone knows who Drake is.

Nicki Minaj- everyone knows who Nicki is.

Future- mostly due to Drake Collabs

- Several Spanish rappers

- Migos(recently picked up)
- Kendrick Lamar (recently picked up)
- Kanye West?
It kind of dies after here(unless you count one hit wonders) from what I've heard is American rappers are mostly being replaced by foreign rappers all over the globe.
Grime is taking over U.K and pushing out American rap.
Korean Trap is growing (more in the U.S than in Korea from what I heard)
Rich Chigga and other artist throughout the world dominate their local scenes.
Eastern Europe top rappers see to be Trap artists.
Rap influenced Afrobeats/ Nigerian and Ghanaian pop music are controlling most of West/East and Central Africa. South Africa (region) and North Africa have their own artists.
Spanish artists as well as Portuguese dominate their own region and now Despacito is technically the number one rap song in the U.S.

TBH besides Drake and maybe Nicki no rap artist is really going international. Their might be small scenes in other nations but with mumble rap being hard for Americans to understand it is impossible for ESL to understand, and unlike American music scene "Trap beats" don't have the international appeal, and most people want actual lyrics these days.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 PM

10,319 posts, read 7,225,131 times
Ever since Chief Keef came out rap game change even more

Old 06-13-2017, 11:12 PM

7,243 posts, read 5,532,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
So you think Atlanta is just "rap"?
Remeber LaFace,SoSo Def,Rowdy Records,in the 90's with artist like Toni Braxton,Monica,Usher,Jagged Edge,Az Yet,112,etc and producers like Dallas Austin,Jermaine Dupree,Rico Wade,lil John and many more.

Nobody is denying NYC prominence as the creator but Hip Hop has and is growing into more than it was.Graffitti art aint even prominent as it was in the culture but other things like film is now and Atlanta stands above the rest when you put it all together.

The hottest show in Hip hop culture now is "Atlanta" about the culture in Atlanta.

Several of the hottest artist out there for the last 10 years at least have come from Atlanta.
T.I..Future,2 Chains,Migos ,Soulja Boy,Jezzy,Young Thug,Lil Yachty and now Gucci Mane is back.
Lots of buzz about him.
Just look at Billbord Hip Hop charts now.Atlanta artist represent more than any other city and it aint even close.
Its silly how you can say anyone who can say Atlanta is somehow out of bounds/Have you opinion but come on lets be real

Many cities can claim success at some point in time but only Atlanta and New York seemed to be a constant.
It dont look like the game in Atlanta is slowing down at all.
You even have trap music blending new genres of music like with EDM
https://theringer.com/atlanta-rap-gu...r-cd17e2ef592c

I agree with 100%, but there's one small discrepancy..

Toni Braxton is from Baltimore.

Solid post nonetheless.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Nowadays from an international perspective-

Drake- everyone knows who Drake is.

Nicki Minaj- everyone knows who Nicki is.

Future- mostly due to Drake Collabs

- Several Spanish rappers

- Migos(recently picked up)
- Kendrick Lamar (recently picked up)
- Kanye West?
It kind of dies after here(unless you count one hit wonders) from what I've heard is American rappers are mostly being replaced by foreign rappers all over the globe.
Grime is taking over U.K and pushing out American rap.
Korean Trap is growing (more in the U.S than in Korea from what I heard)
Rich Chigga and other artist throughout the world dominate their local scenes.
Eastern Europe top rappers see to be Trap artists.
Rap influenced Afrobeats/ Nigerian and Ghanaian pop music are controlling most of West/East and Central Africa. South Africa (region) and North Africa have their own artists.
Spanish artists as well as Portuguese dominate their own region and now Despacito is technically the number one rap song in the U.S.

TBH besides Drake and maybe Nicki no rap artist is really going international. Their might be small scenes in other nations but with mumble rap being hard for Americans to understand it is impossible for ESL to understand, and unlike American music scene "Trap beats" don't have the international appeal, and most people want actual lyrics these days.
T.I.? Outcast?
Lil Wayne?
Kendrick Lamar?
Even Ludacris is known for his music and Fast and Furious.He is also one of the top 10 selling rappers of all time as is Outkast.
Drake aint in there.
IMDb: Top 10 best selling rappers of all time - a list by ruffdadon
All these are well known internationally.

Outkast Speakerboxx/The Love Below is the number one selling hip hop album of all time
https://www.thoughtco.com/best-selli...s-ever-2858056

Sure there are rappers that are from their home country making waves but none really have the appeal
the way U.S. rappers around the world are known outside of the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LP4foN3Xs4

Read More: 10 International Rappers You Should Know | 10 International Rappers You Should Know

Quote:
Who would think Italian trap music could ever be a thing? Well, that’s exactly what Fabri Fibra brings to the table with bangers like “Alieno.”

Culture Wars: Trap Music Keeps Atlanta On Hip-Hop's Cutting Edge. Why Can't The City Embrace It? : The Record : NPR

Even some of Drakes top hits of late have had the "trap" sound so regardless its the influence that comes from Atlanta.
You go all over the world you hear that familiar trap sound. I know because i have heard it from people I have met in my travels.
10 International Rappers You Should Know

Old 06-14-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree with 100%, but there's one small discrepancy..

Toni Braxton is from Baltimore.

Solid post nonetheless.
Thanks.True she is but her career jumped offin Atlanta where she lived until just a couple of years ago as did her sister Tamar did.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Boogie down Bronx is the birthplace and the first always takes precendent end of the story. Today's rap is pseudo, fake, and has no meaning. Music back then told a story and was orignal.
Not so fast.You got Childish Gambino and Kendrick.J Cole.There are good and bad

Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
^^ That wasn't a question, he was stating what he wasn't asking for. I think you got the premise of the thread confused.

I'll say this: Atlanta is the wave, but NYC was the tsunami. Maybe Atlanta can keep pushing and become a tsunami, but right now, it's still just a wave. It has to mature and foster some depth to do so. People are more influenced these days by Chicago and ATL because it's where the money/energy is, but people were behind NYC hip-hop during those times for different reasons. It had lots of impact politically, socially, and culturally that I don't think Atlanta hasn't really gotten to yet. It's just lots of fun and experimenting going on, just like hip-hop in the early-80s. Let's see what happens in 10 years.

And honestly, they should just get rid of the hip-hop label and do their own thing. I've noticed a lot of these guys don't even like being labeled as hip-hop anyways. Special snowflake era, for sure.
As I said earlier Atlanta has been the only other constant in Hip hop since the 90's and today has become more relevant than NYC unless you want old school.

Atlanta is right at the cusp of breaking the scene wide open.Culturally,socially and by industry standards.The signs afre clear with all the new artist and press Atlanta continues to develop.

You are beginning to see more artist like Childish Gambino.
Like I said its the influence and that mostly coming from Atlanta and there is just no way you can deny that is not a poerful testament to where hip hop has come from and where its going.

You seems like you are totally acting like Atlanta just came into the scene in the last 10 years and thats just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or