U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM

7,245 posts, read 5,537,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
If artist from other parts of the country have to adapt to the "trap" sound or use producers and collab with Atlanta artist,then thats really all their is to say
That's very true. Atlanta artist never conformed to the NYC sound during NYC's reign. NYC has no choice but to fall in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
And finally...Dj Snake from France and Lil John
1. This is an EDM song

2. Why would anyone make a connection between this song and Atlanta? Lil' Jon made his name domestically doing crunk music, but is known internationally for EDM.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:54 PM

178 posts, read 70,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I did not. LOL.

Where do you see the word "selling" in the post you quoted?
But you still skipped over Andre 3000,T.I.,Big Boi,2 chains,Ludacris,and Future in that list f Top 50 rappers! Atlanta is teh only other city than NYC with as many on that list despite it being MUCH smaller with overall less notoriety of NYC.
Sorry but once again Im seeing some "hatin" goin on.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
1. This is an EDM song

2. Why would anyone make a connection between this song and Atlanta? Lil' Jon made his name domestically doing crunk music, but is known internationally for EDM.
Many havbe said that Trap music is not well know outside of the U.S. Clearly if its jumping into new genres it is not .Especially using an Atlanta artist known for trap music

Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
But you still skipped over Andre 3000,T.I.,Big Boi,2 chains,Ludacris,and Future in that list f Top 50 rappers! Atlanta is teh only other city than NYC with as many on that list despite it being MUCH smaller with overall less notoriety of NYC.
Sorry but once again Im seeing some "hatin" goin on.
No, I didn't. I listed them in the order in which they appear on the Googles.

Jay-Z
Eminem
Notorious B.I.G.
Nas
2Pac
Dr. Dre
Kanye West
Snoop Dogg
Lil' Wayne
Kendrick Lamar

That's the Top 10.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Why are people not mentioning Arrested Development?Ive always thought they were ground breaking and should be mentioned more than they should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCdJyOAQYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGusP7aCCYc

Old 06-15-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Jay-Z
Eminem
Notorious B.I.G.
Nas
2Pac
Dr. Dre
Kanye West
Snoop Dogg
Lil' Wayne
Kendrick Lamar

That's the Top 10.
First time you said "Top !0" but I guess...

Okay well the top 10 I posted was the top selling artist and it had a few Atlanta artist in the top 10.Argument can be made that those artist are also the most famous if they are selling more records

And depending on which source you use that list you posted also changes. Of course NYC has the dept as I've have already stated but thats reasonable as it started it and its much bigger for much longer time before other regions caught up.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:25 PM

5,059 posts, read 3,480,307 times
I know NYC is the birthplace, but I don't see how Atlanta doesn't win this. It's the mainstream city of rap for anyone under 35.

One thing about Atlanta is that it's constantly name dropped by rappers who are and aren't natives of Atlanta. It's free marketing. Ludacris, Jermaine Dupre, Kanye, Jeezy, TI, Gucci Mane, Outkast, Future, Metro Boomin and everyone that works with him, Lil Jon, MIGOS, Shawty Lo, Designer, YNF Lucci, Lil Scrappy, Rich Homie Quan, 21 Savage, Ying Yang Twins, Young Dolph, Yung Joc, Ciara, Redman, Young Thug, 2 Chainz, Chris Brown, Rick Ross, Usher, Nicki Minaj, K Camp, Lil Wayne, etc, etc, etc, etc. That's maximum exposure.

"Welcome to Atlanta where the players play" is still popular and "I got broads in Atlanta" was arguably the most quoted music lyric if not the year last year, then the summer. Everyone was saying that. Even Canadian Drake has gotten on the bandwagon with "Houstatlantavegas."

Both cities have a "Love and Hip Hop" show, but if the show "Atlanta" had the same premise but was called "New York", it just wouldn't feel right with todays generation. NYC feels very "posh" now, while Atlanta still has a "dirty south" reputation.

And when it comes to the feud from the 90's, most people see it as the "east coast/west coast feud" rather than the "New York/LA feud" even though that's what it basically was.

NYC is the undisputed birth place and produced some great acts like Jay Z, LL Cool J, Diddy, Biggie, 50 Cent, DMX, etc, but in todays world, I think Atlanta is the easy winner.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:25 PM

7,245 posts, read 5,537,384 times
Quote:

Jay-Z
Eminem
Notorious B.I.G.
Nas
2Pac
Dr. Dre
Kanye West
Snoop Dogg
Lil' Wayne
Kendrick Lamar

That's the Top 10.
Where exactly did you get your results? I'm asking because I done Google searches of the "most famous music artists" and you'd see Lady Gaga, Elvis, Madonna, Beyonce', but MICHAEL JACKSON wasn't listed. And we know that MJ is more famous than any other musician ever.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Where exactly did you get your results? I'm asking because I done Google searches of the "most famous music artists" and you'd see Lady Gaga, Elvis, Madonna, Beyonce', but MICHAEL JACKSON wasn't listed. And we know that MJ is more famous than any other musician ever.
I Googled "most famous music artists" without quotations and got the following.

The Beatles
Elvis Presley
Michael Jackson
Madonna
Elton John
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or