U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 06-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Saint Paul, MN
5,391 posts, read 2,849,291 times
Reputation: 7086

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
All I have to say is that I'm glad I was born in the early 80s and grew up with the entire 90s and heard the hip hop that came from all regions when it was raw, versatile, and different. Everything is the same from the lyrics to the flow. So if it's Atlanta today, NYC should be happy about that since most of the music on the radio is trash.

True. All the new stuff sounds like someone either having a stroke, or trying to rap after coming back from the dentist with numb gums. Honestly, I'm not big on hip hop and rap, but the best modern rap I've found is underground stuff from cities that have never had a historic place in hip hop.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2017, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Classic Examples of what I mean by a cities Fashion

Pelle Pelle jackets: Was NYC, now it's mostly Detroit
Trying to understand the logic here. You say Supreme is only "a brand." Pelle Pelle is also a brand.

Quote:
Pelle Pelle is an urban fashion brand designed by Marc Buchanan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelle_Pelle

According to your own logic, how can Pelle Pelle be "fashion" when it is a brand just like Supreme?

I think the misunderstanding we're having here is that you believe Supreme was never a local trend. For a very long time, the only place you could buy Supreme was in their physical Manhattan location. Supreme does not sell to other retailers--period. Once it became a fashionable thing in NYC, people began to take notice, and that's when it became popular elsewhere. It's not like the owners decided to release a product to the whole world at one time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Incubated on the streets of NYC, and came up with Hoodies, and jackets with a big "Supreme" logo on it, you see how much sense that makes? Everyone wears Hoodies, so I don't see how that's such a NYC thing. You're reaching again.
Everyone wears sneakers. How can foamposites be "fashion"? You are reaching again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You can have all those other brands since they represented the fashion of NYC when NYC was the authority; Those days are long gone now though.
Wouldn't NYC be more of an authority today since Supreme is so dominant? Most cities had their own style in the 90s, but Supreme is becoming the dominant look among youth today.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Girbaud, Pelle Pelle, Foams, Chucks & Dickies, Mitchell & Ness fitteds....

Aren't all these brands, though? LOL

Give some examples of Atlanta fashion, then.
He's making zero sense right now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Hmm...

Quote:
But there is also a business component to setting up shop across the pond. “For us, London is the real gateway to Europe,” Jebbia says. Now kids won’t have to fly from all over Europe to come to New York to get a piece of Supreme. “We hope it makes things easier for them, honestly. It can save them a plane ticket, you know what I mean? But, we’re keeping the shop with the same spirit, it will feel like New York.”

In the past, owning a piece of clothing with the red Supreme logo on it was like a more authentic “I Love NY” T-shirt, a tourist token that instantly made you feel a part of a certain downtown New York ethos.
https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...%80%94-part-ii

B, bu-, but, they are just shirts and pants. Everyone wears shirts and pants!

Girbaud shirts in Philly = Fashion

Supreme shirts in NYC = Brand
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:39 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,245 posts, read 5,537,384 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Trying to understand the logic here. You say Supreme is only "a brand." Pelle Pelle is also a brand.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelle_Pelle

According to your own logic, how can Pelle Pelle be "fashion" when it is a brand just like Supreme?

I think the misunderstanding we're having here is that you believe Supreme was never a local trend. For a very long time, the only place you could buy Supreme was in their physical Manhattan location. Supreme does not sell to other retailers--period. Once it became a fashionable thing in NYC, people began to take notice, and that's when it became popular elsewhere. It's not like the owners decided to release a product to the whole world at one time.
So, you're logic cancels the whole argument and you still lose. Your logic dictates that a particular trend can't be exclusive to a place if everyone has access to it, which makes absolutely no sense at all. Then you contradict yourself by saying that a particular brand can't be exclusive to a place if it can be bought by anyone. Then, and you shot yourself in the foot by bringing up that Supreme creator was inspired by what he saw on the streets of NYC. Sooo.. What were the people on the streets of NYC wearing?????

Your logic will also contradict any future conversations about what city wears what style.

You won't win a logic based argument since there are no color charts and graphs involved.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 06-16-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:46 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,245 posts, read 5,537,384 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Girbaud, Pelle Pelle, Foams, Chucks & Dickies, Mitchell & Ness fitteds....

Aren't all these brands, though? LOL

Give some examples of Atlanta fashion, then.
Your logic, being the same as BajanYankees', dictates there's no such thing as fashion because brands can be bought by anyone. Do you know how many areas of life are affected by that line of thought?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
So, you're logic cancels the whole argument and you still lose. Your logic dictates that a particular trend can't be exclusive to a place if everyone has access to it, which makes absolutely no sense at all. Then you contradict yourself by saying that a particular brand can't be exclusive to a place if it can be bought by anyone. Then, and you shot yourself in the foot by bringing up that Supreme creator was inspired by what he saw on the streets of NYC. Sooo.. What were the people on the streets of NYC wearing?????

You logic will also contradict any future conversations about what city wears what style.

You won't win a logic based argument.
This is all twisted up. We can basically distill your earlier point in the following manner.

Girbaud = Fashion

Supreme = Brand

You've yet to provide an explanation as to why Girbaud is "fashion" even though it's a brand. Do you see the contradiction there?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Your logic, being the same as BajanYankees', dictates there's no such thing as fashion because brands can be bought by anyone. Do you know how many areas of life are affected by that line of thought?
Maybe it's not "our" logic that's the problem.

We are only working with the words you typed down. You said that Supreme could not be "fashion" because it was a brand, but then you pointed to several different brands as examples of fashion. Do you not see why a reasonable reader of that statement could be confused?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:52 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,051 posts, read 1,294,611 times
Reputation: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Incubated on the streets of NYC, and came up with Hoodies, and jackets with a big "Supreme" logo on it, you see how much sense that makes? Everyone wears Hoodies, so I don't see how that's such a NYC thing. You're reaching again.

You can have all those other brands since they represented the fashion of NYC when NYC was the authority; Those days are long gone now though.

I'm not a hypebeast, so you wont catch me wearing something based on the logo on it.

As a matter of fact, you posted a Link to a page called Hypebeast.com, that kills your argument right there. Supreme is brand for Hypebeast. You're a hypebeast.
I mean, a brand actually can be a staple for a Cities distinct Clothing culture. In London/England, the clothing brand called Stone Island is HUGE out in London (Especially in Roadman Culture). Recently it's made waves into the US with artists like Drake, Travis Scott, Lil Uzi, and Asap Rocky being seen wearing the brand.





Just like Stone Island, Supreme is a brand that's culturally attached to NYC, since the 90's.

Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top