U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM

661 posts, read 1,001,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No way 3000 could be on a Mt. Rushmore over Nas though. Many hip hop heads consider Illmatic the best hip hop album ever made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illmatic

How can a guy without a single solo album rank ahead of a guy who has made what some consider the greatest album ever?
As I already stated, 3000 is automatically disqualified from being on Rushmore. Nobody should be making an argument otherwise. Now if you want to talk about who's the nicest on the mic between the 2 then you can definitely have a conversation about that, strictly on bars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Nobody as in NY?
Who is in Atlanta during the Dungeon Family's run was winning with their sound that was not part of their collective? Maybe Ghetto Mafia ("Live From The Dec"), but I can't think of anybody else

Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 PM

7,245 posts, read 5,545,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
laid back funk was definitely not distinct with Dungeon Family. Lil jon in the early 2000s was crunk and we know where crunk came from. That's what I'm saying.

Memphis started crunk
New Orleans was bounce
Houston was screw
Miami was booty shaking

Throughout the late 80s and 90s, these were the sounds that dominated and fused with regions. Atlanta's sound was not really known. We just know they had music from there and it was popular. We knew about DJ Taz and Raheem. We knew about Kilo Ali. We knew about So so def. But much of that could have been misconstrued as Miami or even Orlando. People thought the 69 boyz was from either Miami or Atlanta and it wasn't until the year after that we found out that they were from Orlando.
Who started a sound, and who popularized it is completely different. Memphis started buck music, Atlanta started crunk, buck seems to be a lot darker than crunk. They're similar, but also clearly distinguishable.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Case closed, the chances of a Savage 21, Migos or Future replacing one of these 4 is the same chance of people putting Rihanna in front of Aretha Franklin on their Mt Rushmore of female R&B singers. In other words NEVER...

Old 06-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Who started a sound, and who popularized it is completely different. Memphis started buck music, Atlanta started crunk, buck seems to be a lot darker than crunk. They're similar, but also clearly distinguishable.
I agree with this.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Who is in Atlanta during the Dungeon Family's run was winning with their sound that was not part of their collective? Maybe Ghetto Mafia ("Live From The Dec"), but I can't think of anybody else
There weren't many rappers from Atlanta at that time. Laface, and R&B was what Atlanta was known for back then. The Dungeon Family was basically the only rap coming out of Atlanta. Ironically, the same camp known for making laid back music is also the camp that helped make crunk music popular.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:49 PM

27,623 posts, read 24,826,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Case closed, the chances of a Savage 21, Migos or Future replacing one of these 4 is the same chance of people putting Rihanna in front of Aretha Franklin on their Mt Rushmore of female R&B singers. In other words NEVER...
I think you also have to consider that NYC's hip hop scene receives exposure beyond the airwaves. I think it was Showtime that produced a documentary on Illmatic for its 20th anniversary. That's for a single album, not an entire scene. I think there's also been a Reasonable Doubt documentary. Then you have documentaries like "Beats, Rhymes and Life" about A Tribe Called Quest, BBC's "Once Upon A Time in New York" and "The Get Down" on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izT2Xmw1X3M

Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 PM

I may have mentioned this upthread, but I think a difference between NYC and ATL hip hop--and why there's a greater association between hip hop and NYC than there is between hip hop and ATL--is that nearly all videos in the early to mid 90s were filmed in neighborhoods. That was also true of West Coast rap where we saw images of cars on hydraulics and palm trees. Those guys just took a camera out and made videos with people from the neighborhood.

The average music video today is made in a studio (usually made to look like a club), on an island or some other exotic location, etc. So if you're someone in another country watching a Migos video on YouTube, and you don't speak English all that well, then you likely have no idea where they are from. If you're watching a Tribe video on VeVo, you absolutely know where they come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIah18jcJko

Old 06-22-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I may have mentioned this upthread, but I think a difference between NYC and ATL hip hop--and why there's a greater association between hip hop and NYC than there is between hip hop and ATL--is that nearly all videos in the early to mid 90s were filmed in neighborhoods. That was also true of West Coast rap where we saw images of cars on hydraulics and palm trees. Those guys just took a camera out and made videos with people from the neighborhood.

The average music video today is made in a studio (usually made to look like a club), on an island or some other exotic location, etc. So if you're someone in another country watching a Migos video on YouTube, and you don't speak English all that well, then you likely have no idea where they are from. If you're watching a Tribe video on VeVo, you absolutely know where they come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIah18jcJko
That was the trend at the time that everyone was doing. I think Bad Boy started that videos in studios trend in the mid to late 90s. Now that budgets are much smaller than they were in the 90s, more independent artist, and you can basically make a video yourself, people are going back to the hood to make these videos. People don't need a Hype Williams as much as they did back in the late 90s.

Rae sremmurd's last video, Black Beatles, has Downtown ATL as their backdrop. Hell so many rappers use the Atlanta skyline in their videos, it's hard not know where they're from.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 06-22-2017 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Migos' last video, Black Beatles, has Downtown ATL as their backdrop. Hell so many rappers use the Atlanta skyline in their videos, it's hard not know where they're from.
I think you meant Rae Sremmund, not Migos. Migos' video for T-Shirt was shot on snowcapped mountains.

I can't think of too many videos actually filmed on the streets of Atlanta. That was more the case in the 90s/early 00s with Goodie Mobb and Outkast, but we haven't see too many shots of the city since Atlanta became a powerhouse. NYC by comparison has many many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or