U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.18%
New York City 195 70.91%
Equal 19 6.91%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,149 posts, read 19,677,524 times
Reputation: 8779

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Eh. Miami and Houston has much to say about that.
New Orleans too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 AM
 
1,198 posts, read 567,511 times
Reputation: 1162
Well, NYC created the art and has so many legends who influenced styles. I can't help but look at that hip-hop Mt. Rushmore and it's nothing but artist from NYC. I'm from ATL but someone like Future or Young Thug have strayed so far from hip hop that it really isn't hip hop anymore. I'm really not a fan of rappers trying harmonic vocals. At some point, it will get back on track. NYC is more famous for hip-hop in its full form (thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 AM
 
1,564 posts, read 1,115,309 times
Reputation: 500
NYC was King in the early 80's

L.A was king from 88 - 96

NYC was king again from 97 -2000

ATL became King in 2000 - 06

Now no region is on top.

Biggest rappers are Drake,Kendrick,J cole,Nicki Minaj,Future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Queens, N.Y.
661 posts, read 1,041,857 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
NYC was King in the early 80's

L.A was king from 88 - 96

NYC was king again from 97 -2000

ATL became King in 2000 - 06

Now no region is on top.

Biggest rappers are Drake,Kendrick,J cole,Nicki Minaj,Future
My timeline:

NYC was King from 74 -92

East Coast & West Coast were both Kings from 92-98

East Coast & Down South were both Kings from 98-2004

Atlanta was King from 2004 - 2010

NO Regional Kings from 2010 - Present

Drake - Toronto
Big Sean - Detroit
Kendrick Lamar - LA (Compton)
J Cole - NC (half a point to Queens NY)
Nicki Minaj - Queens NYC
Future - Atlanta
Migos - Atlanta
Wiz Khalifa - Pittsburgh
Meek Mill - Philly
Jay Z - Brooklyn NYC (Yes still Jay Z because when his new project drop it will outsell everybody else except for Drake and K Dot)
Kanye West - Chicago
Chance The Rapper - Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,725 posts, read 6,094,580 times
Reputation: 3573
NYC: Birth- 88

LA: 88-96

LA & NYC 94-96

NYC: 97-98

NYC & New Orleans: 98-00


Philly, NYC & Detroit: 00-03

Atlanta: 03

Atlanta & Houston: 04

The South: 04-06

Atlanta & Chicago: 06-08

Atlanta & Miami: 08-10

Atlanta, DC, Chicago, Miami, Philly: 11-12

Atlanta, Chicago, LA: 12-13

Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Miami: 2013-today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,725 posts, read 6,094,580 times
Reputation: 3573
I see y'all purposely leaving out Atlanta rappers. I keep seeing Future and Migos, who do you think you're fooling?

Also, J Cole is from NC, so NYC can't even take a little be of credit for that. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Queens, N.Y.
661 posts, read 1,041,857 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I see y'all purposely leaving out Atlanta rappers. I keep seeing Future and Migos, who do you think you're fooling?

Also, J Cole is from NC, so NYC can't even take a little be of credit for that. .
Because alot of Atlanta rappers are one/two hit wonders that are interchangeable and are for the moment. You gotta earn that status which is why I won't list rappers like Designer, Young M.A. or Bobby Smurda from NYC because they're in the same boat. And I won't even include Remy Ma even though she had a double platinum hit last year, she's just not at the top elite level. Neither is French or ASAP Rocky (even though he's closer).

In regards to J.Cole if you're going by that standard then Lil Uzi Vert is a Philly artist and Atlanta gets no credit for him despite him being based in Atlanta and his whole style is influenced by the ATL. Can't have it both ways...

I know you want to include Young Thug but like Travis Scott they've been bubbling but still not in the top tier, maybe 2 years from now that can change because 2 years ago I wouldn't have put Migos on that tier either but you can't deny their hits, run and impact on the game right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,593 posts, read 26,957,321 times
Reputation: 9529
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
NYC: Birth- 88

LA: 88-96

LA & NYC 94-96

NYC: 97-98

NYC & New Orleans: 98-00


Philly, NYC & Detroit: 00-03

Atlanta: 03

Atlanta & Houston: 04

The South: 04-06

Atlanta & Chicago: 06-08

Atlanta & Miami: 08-10

Atlanta, DC, Chicago, Miami, Philly: 11-12

Atlanta, Chicago, LA: 12-13

Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Miami: 2013-today
no. It was definitely shared between LA and NY. I'd also put Chicago with Atlanta and Houston for 04-06 when you had Lupe, Twista, Kanye come out with albums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,725 posts, read 6,094,580 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Because alot of Atlanta rappers are one/two hit wonders that are interchangeable and are for the moment. You gotta earn that status which is why I won't list rappers like Designer, Young M.A. or Bobby Smurda from NYC because they're in the same boat. And I won't even include Remy Ma even though she had a double platinum hit last year, she's just not at the top elite level. Neither is French or ASAP Rocky (even though he's closer).

In regards to J.Cole if you're going by that standard then Lil Uzi Vert is a Philly artist and Atlanta gets no credit for him despite him being based in Atlanta and his whole style is influenced by the ATL. Can't have it both ways...

I know you want to include Young Thug but like Travis Scott they've been bubbling but still not in the top tier, maybe 2 years from now that can change because 2 years ago I wouldn't have put Migos on that tier either but you can't deny their hits, run and impact on the game right now
Jeezy or Gucci, TI, 2 Chainz all have 10+ years and still in heavy rotation.

Philly can have Uzi Vert, I honestly didn't know he was associated with Atlanta until you said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 12:40 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,725 posts, read 6,094,580 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
no. It was definitely shared between LA and NY. I'd also put Chicago with Atlanta and Houston for 04-06 when you had Lupe, Twista, Kanye come out with albums.
My fault, I forgot to include NYC from 88-96

I can add Chicago from 04-06 as well. Twista, Kanye, Lupe, it would be crazy not to include them.

Also, I should include Atlanta 98-00 along with NYC & New Orleans. The Dungeon Family was dropping classics during that time.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 06-23-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top