U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.18%
New York City 195 70.91%
Equal 19 6.91%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 02:39 PM

7,726 posts, read 6,101,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Atlanta is more associated with Trap music & mumble rappers lol,

NYC by a mile.
Trap music and mumble is what's hot right now. See, NYC is stuck in 1998.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But you don't necessarily have to be a consumer of the genre to know something about it? I'm not a consumer of country music, but I know who Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton are. I'm not a fan of opera, but I know who Pavarotti is. I'm not a fan of golf, but I know who Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus are. This thread is really more about cultural penetration than it is the "hotness" of any one artist at this particular point in time.

Any avid hip hop fan who knows who Future and Migos are knows who Jay-Z is and they know about NYC's role in hip hop. The average suburban soccer mom Trump voter--and there are many more of them there are young Black people--likely knows nothing about Atlanta hip hop. She's probably more familiar with NYC and its relevance to hip hop even if she knows nothing else about the genre.
You can't listen to the radio, or have internet access or have cable TV and not know Atlanta Hip-hop. It's just not possible. Ask a soccer mom to name a song from a rapper, 9 times out of 10 it will be someone from Atlanta. I'm certain that she wouldn't name a song from a NYC rapper.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:49 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,794,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm not drifting from the point, but I say where the confusion is coming from. Michael Jordan is widely regarded as one Greatest of All Time, and there is official evidence to support that claim. Rap is different in the sense that its mostly subjective. Biggie is ONE of the best of his era, but Jordan was THE best in his era. Jordan's influence is still felt in today's game, with Lebron "chasing a ghost," who the biggest NBA stars Playing in and have shoe contracts with Jumpman, to people camping outside to buy Jordans. Biggie doesn't have the kind of influence over Rap like MJ does over Basketball.

Logic goes out the window when comparing anyone to the Gawd Michael Jackson. I couldn't even begin to explain how MJ reached the level of fame that he reached, but no one else is close to being as influential. You can't even compare MJ to other people, you'd have to compare MJ to NYC, Coca Cola, Iphone, Mickey Mouse, Statue of Libery, Jesus...etc. In some cases, MJ is more famous than all of them.
We're definitely having a different conversation talking about Michael Jackson. The single most famous American ever, by a landslide he's the greatest musician in American music history and it's not close. To piggyback off what you said, Jordan has closer basketball competition as the GOAT than Mike has in music. Hip hop hasn't produced anything nearly close to as culturally, politically, socially relevant as Michael Jackson. Not a question...

There is a short list of maybe 3 artists you can compare with Mike. MAYBE three. The only one I can say certifiably is The Beatles, and that's a band being compared to a one-man monster. So yeah, Mike's influence was and is so other worldly that this convo belongs somewhere else lol...

Old 06-07-2017, 02:58 PM

21,994 posts, read 23,527,518 times
C'mon, Bajan, you knew the answer before you made this topic.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 PM

907 posts, read 663,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
C'mon, Bajan, you knew the answer before you made this topic.
I am shocked it actually became a debate...question was heavily stacked in NYC's favor from jump

Old 06-07-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
We're definitely having a different conversation talking about Michael Jackson. The single most famous American ever, by a landslide he's the greatest musician in American music history and it's not close. To piggyback off what you said, Jordan has closer basketball competition as the GOAT than Mike has in music. Hip hop hasn't produced anything nearly close to as culturally, politically, socially relevant as Michael Jackson. Not a question...

There is a short list of maybe 3 artists you can compare with Mike. MAYBE three. The only one I can say certifiably is The Beatles, and that's a band being compared to a one-man monster. So yeah, Mike's influence was and is so other worldly that this convo belongs somewhere else lol...
Absolutely! Michael Jackson is the GOAT, no questions asked.

I saw a video on Youtube of a tribe somewhere (can't remember the location) who were shown images on a TV to see if they could recognize them. They had never seen snow, never seen war, didn't know that someone landed on the moon, didn't know 9/11 ever happened, then the video showed MJ performing, and everyone knew him by name. I worked in a hotel with people from all over the world, and everyone, from abroad, who I've ever asked if they knew Michael Jackson, knows exactly who he is, and name his songs.

The Beatles nor Elvis are as famous as MJ.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:12 PM

21,994 posts, read 23,527,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I am shocked it actually became a debate...question was heavily stacked in NYC's favor from jump
The answer was always Toronto.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:15 PM

907 posts, read 663,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The answer was always Toronto.
Facts

Old 06-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Not really. NYC hasn't been hot in the hip-hop world in almost 15 years, and the current artist (mostly from Atlanta) have the beneifit of social media on their side. No one has really made a compelling case for claiming NYC being more famous.

Maybe nostalgia, bias.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:56 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,956,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Can you explain is it still New York worldwide in this day and age?

The biggest artist in what could even be remotely considered hiphop are from Houston (Beyonce), Virginia (Chris Brown) Toronto (Drake) Chicago (Kanye), New Orleans (Lil Wayne), Atlanta (Everybody), LA (Kendrick), NC ( J. Cole).
Convenient how you left out Nicki Minaj (Queens), inarguably the biggest female rapper of all time, and part of the current A list tier with Drake and Kendrick Lamar. A$AP Rocky (Harlem) is also quite big with the young crowd and is currently dating Kylie Jenner, so he's quite relevant. And then you have NYC artists like Desiigner and Fetty Wap who have blatantly jacked the South's sound. Jay-Z is still around, as are Nas, Diddy, Fat Joe and 50 Cent, all of whom have released new music with younger artists. Not too mention every rapper on Love and Hip Hop. New York isn't completely dominant like it once was, but let's not over exaggerate. NYC is still very much relevant. Nicki Minaj has huge, current worldwide recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or