U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2017, 03:15 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,548,685 times

Advertisements

Some of these posters are throwing anything up against the wall trying to see what sticks.

Atlanta wins in the real world.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM

178 posts, read 70,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Sigh. This is why there's no point bringing up logical points in this thread. Atlanta SAVED hip-hop from the dark ages. LOL
Well logic to me is that if you agree that today Atlanta "is the current representative" of what most call "Hip Hop",then when and how did that happen?Why dis it happen?

By 2005 sales of Hip hop had a sharp decline.
Did you see the BET AWARDS last night?I saw a lot of Atlanta representing ?Migos,Future,and Gucci Mane?
All the artist from NYC were old school mostly and not performing

Old 06-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Jay-Z and Beyonce = Famous
T.I. and Tiny = Black Famous

Dave Chappelle = Famous
Katt Williams = Black Famous

Will Smith = Famous
Omari Hardwick = Black Famous

Kim Kardashian = Famous
Amber Rose = Black Famous

Notorious B.I.G. = Famous
Future = Black Famous

Bruno Mars = Famous
Trey Songz = Black Famous

Seinfeld = Famous
Insecure = Black Famous

NYC Hip Hop = Famous
ATL Hip Hop = Black Famous
Usher-Famous
Ludacris-Famous

Donald Glover-Famous
Ciara- Famous

ATLANTA(Show )Famous
Raven Simone-Famous

Lil Jon -Famous
Oh and while yall scoffing at Migos:
Quote:
With their groundbreaking music, distinctive style, and larger-than-life personalities, Atlanta trio Migos are fast becoming global icons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQQP2AC8Ww

Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
FAMOUS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QDL3hsQLqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaIWNOdQ7q0

Usher-Famous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9wc2J8NW5o
Julia Roberts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IwsIkGVoR8

Old 06-28-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
Usher-Famous
Ludacris-Famous

Donald Glover-Famous
Ciara- Famous

ATLANTA(Show )Famous
Raven Simone-Famous

Lil Jon -Famous
Oh and while yall scoffing at Migos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQQP2AC8Ww

Bu, bu, but, Movie franchises and hit TV shows don't mean anything because they aren't as rich as Jay-Z.

Bu, but.. you can't use anecdotes, only magazine articles and message boards count.

bu, bu, but Migos weren't on Oprah like Hov was though.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Bu, bu, but, Movie franchises and hit TV shows don't mean anything because they aren't as rich as Jay-Z.

Bu, but.. you can't use anecdotes, only magazine articles and message boards count.

bu, bu, but Migos weren't on Oprah like Hov was though.
LOL The bar just keeps moving

Old 06-28-2017, 07:31 PM

661 posts, read 1,001,731 times
You can sum the whole topic up quite easily:

Hottest Hip Hop City currently? ATL > NYC - No question about it, since the rise of T.I. in the early to mid 2000's the ATL has had a dominant presence in the game consistently and is the birthplace of the most dominant SOUND in rap which is Trap Music. Its been a non-stop avalanche of artists and hit records, you can debate the level of quality but you can't deny the impact.

Most famous city known for Hip Hop Internationally? NYC > ATL - Due to not only being the birthplace of Hip Hop and to having an approximately 30 year run at the forefront (1974 - 2005, shared with other regions at different time points) but also being home to way more iconic rappers worldwide than any city including ATL by a large margin. Public Enemy has been touring practically non-stop for 30 years globally and you cannot have that kind of Rolling Stones/Aerosmith type of run like that unless your on that iconic level just to give you one example.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
You can sum the whole topic up quite easily:

Hottest Hip Hop City currently? ATL > NYC - No question about it, since the rise of T.I. in the early to mid 2000's the ATL has had a dominant presence in the game consistently and is the birthplace of the most dominant SOUND in rap which is Trap Music. Its been a non-stop avalanche of artists and hit records, you can debate the level of quality but you can't deny the impact.

Most famous city known for Hip Hop Internationally? NYC > ATL - Due to not only being the birthplace of Hip Hop and to having an approximately 30 year run at the forefront (1974 - 2005, shared with other regions at different time points) but also being home to way more iconic rappers worldwide than any city including ATL by a large margin. Public Enemy has been touring practically non-stop for 30 years globally and you cannot have that kind of Rolling Stones/Aerosmith type of run like that unless your on that iconic level just to give you one example.
I think OutKast is another group that could tour nonstop and sellout every venue. 3000 doesn't tour, though, and doesn't do live performances.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 AM

661 posts, read 1,001,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I think OutKast is another group that could tour nonstop and sellout every venue. 3000 doesn't tour, though, and doesn't do live performances.
Yea 3000 caught that acting bug and his heart hasn't been 100% into the music side ever since. As a Queens N.Y. native I would be first to say overall Outkast > RUN DMC (RIP JMJ). Outkast is the ONLY legendary act to come out of Atlanta up to this point. T.I., Luda, Jeezy and arguably Gucci can and will be in the iconic category similar to Mobb Deep (RIP Prodigy), Busta Rhymes, Fabolous, Cam'ron, 50 Cent out of NYC.

There's icons and then there are LEGENDS in all major music genres:

Tupac - Legend

Bob Marley - Legend

Curtis Mayfield - Legend

Pink Floyd - Legend

Earth Wind & Fire - Legend

Sade - Legend

NWA - Legend

Gangstarr - Iconic

UGK - Iconic (RIP Pimp C)

Common Sense - Iconic

Tribe Called Quest - Iconic

Guns N Roses - Iconic

Of course I can go on forever and its all debatable...

Old 07-01-2017, 03:05 PM

715 posts, read 791,193 times
Quote:
Jay-Z and Beyonce = Famous
T.I. and Tiny = Black Famous

Dave Chappelle = Famous
Katt Williams = Black Famous

Will Smith = Famous
Omari Hardwick = Black Famous

Kim Kardashian = Famous
Amber Rose = Black Famous

Notorious B.I.G. = Famous
Future = Black Famous

Bruno Mars = Famous
Trey Songz = Black Famous

Seinfeld = Famous
Insecure = Black Famous

NYC Hip Hop = Famous
ATL Hip Hop = Black Famous
Bew I'm white, and this is the most ridiculous comparison ever.

Girl, everybody in the South is with Atlanta's hip hop. White frat boys love Gucci just as much as their black brethren. Just stop confirming your ignorance and spend some time on UGA's or Auburn's campus. Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or