U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.18%
New York City 195 70.91%
Equal 19 6.91%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:12 PM

905 posts, read 912,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
You can sum the whole topic up quite easily:

Hottest Hip Hop City currently? ATL > NYC - No question about it, since the rise of T.I. in the early to mid 2000's the ATL has had a dominant presence in the game consistently and is the birthplace of the most dominant SOUND in rap which is Trap Music. Its been a non-stop avalanche of artists and hit records, you can debate the level of quality but you can't deny the impact.

Most famous city known for Hip Hop Internationally? NYC > ATL - Due to not only being the birthplace of Hip Hop and to having an approximately 30 year run at the forefront (1974 - 2005, shared with other regions at different time points) but also being home to way more iconic rappers worldwide than any city including ATL by a large margin. Public Enemy has been touring practically non-stop for 30 years globally and you cannot have that kind of Rolling Stones/Aerosmith type of run like that unless your on that iconic level just to give you one example.
Outkast and TLC are the only two hip hop artist out of Atlanta that have reached the worldwide fame of the elite NYC greats, I give you that. But like you said, right now and since the mid 90s, the South owns hip hop. Atlanta didn't do it on its own. Louisiana and Florida helped to push the North and West out of the game. IDGAF who doesn't like the fact, but Atlanta is the center of Black American culture and and as the entertainment center that it is, has held its position as the focal point of hip hop. Don't like it (not you directly), too bad. We ain't going no where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:54 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,096,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Outkast and TLC are the only two hip hop artist out of Atlanta that have reached the worldwide fame of the elite NYC greats, I give you that. But like you said, right now and since the mid 90s, the South owns hip hop. Atlanta didn't do it on its own. Louisiana and Florida helped to push the North and West out of the game. IDGAF who doesn't like the fact, but Atlanta is the center of Black American culture and and as the entertainment center that it is, has held its position as the focal point of hip hop. Don't like it (not you directly), too bad. We ain't going no where.
Atlanta took over hip-hop in only 10 years since it's initial debut into hip-hop. Atlanta has been practically running hip-hop for the majority of the time since its inception.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:43 PM

1,199 posts, read 568,044 times
Anyone remember MC Shy D? He's the "OG" of Atlanta hip-hop that set the whole thing off for ATL. (Oh the irony).

Old 07-01-2017, 10:06 PM

18,594 posts, read 26,961,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Atlanta took over hip-hop in only 10 years since it's initial debut into hip-hop. Atlanta has been practically running hip-hop for the majority of the time since its inception.
Nah. That can't be true. The 90s was dominated by NYC and LA. the 80s was dominated by NYC and various other East Coast cities. The South on a massive level didn't really explode until 97 and that was mostly New Orleans. Atlanta didn't start dominating massively until 2000.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah. That can't be true. The 90s was dominated by NYC and LA. the 80s was dominated by NYC and various other East Coast cities. The South on a massive level didn't really explode until 97 and that was mostly New Orleans. Atlanta didn't start dominating massively until 2000.
If Atlanta hip-hop doesn't go back at least 30 years, then it is a true statement.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 AM

178 posts, read 83,510 times
Quote:
Truthfully I dont think any region dominated then.It was between NY,LA,and Atlanta .Shared dominance

As I said before ,Atlanta has been the only once that has been a constant till now
90s artist

OutKast
Goodie mob
TLC
Arrested Development
ABC
Jermaine Dubri
Total
Field Mob
Trinidad James
Kris Kros
Da Brat Lil Bow wow

Old 07-02-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If Atlanta hip-hop doesn't go back at least 30 years, then it is a true statement.
There are plenty of cities that go back 30 years. But New York up until 2003ish was either 1 or 2 at the top of its peak. Atlanta was not dominant in the 90s.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
Truthfully I dont think any region dominated then.It was between NY,LA,and Atlanta .Shared dominance

As I said before ,Atlanta has been the only once that has been a constant till now
90s artist

OutKast
Goodie mob
TLC
Arrested Development
ABC
Jermaine Dubri
Total
Field Mob
Trinidad James
Kris Kros
Da Brat Lil Bow wow
Total was bad boy from New York. Probably should have mentioned 112 instead.
Field Mob I thought was from Albany but I can see why one would name them.
Da Brat always has still does rep Chicago.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:52 PM

178 posts, read 83,510 times
Quote:
Total was bad boy from New York. Probably should have mentioned 112 instead.
Field Mob I thought was from Albany but I can see why one would name them.
Da Brat always has still does rep Chicago.
Even so there are still more than a few that made a huge impact.You also have to acccount for the producer like Jermaine Dupri who was all over the place producing for Mariah Carey and other artist.
Dallas Austin the same thing and of course LaFace Records

Old 07-02-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of cities that go back 30 years. But New York up until 2003ish was either 1 or 2 at the top of its peak. Atlanta was not dominant in the 90s.
I think you missed the point. The point was that Atlanta took over rather quickly from r a city that wasn't know for hip-hop up until the mid 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or