U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 PM

52,721 posts, read 75,655,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The answer was always Toronto.
Which reminds me, let me get my old Choclair and Kardinal Offishall CD's from my basement. Maybe there are some Maestro Fresh Wes, Michie Mee, Saukrates and K-os videos on YouTube too.....

BTW.....NYC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:36 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,551,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Convenient how you left out Nicki Minaj (Queens), inarguably the biggest female rapper of all time, and part of the current A list tier with Drake and Kendrick Lamar. A$AP Rocky (Harlem) is also quite big with the young crowd and is currently dating Kylie Jenner, so he's quite relevant. And then you have NYC artists like Desiigner and Fetty Wap who have blatantly jacked the South's sound. Jay-Z is still around, as are Nas, Diddy, Fat Joe and 50 Cent, all of whom have released new music with younger artists. Not too mention every rapper on Love and Hip Hop. New York isn't completely dominant like it once was, but let's not over exaggerate. NYC is still very much relevant. Nicki Minaj has huge, current worldwide recognition.
I've commented on Nicki Minaj already.

"Remy, a fellow NYer killed NYC's biggest artist (Nicki Minaj), an artist that was already falling off."

A$AP is known more for fashion in this day and age than he is for rap. Also, his style is HEAVILY influenced by south.

Desiigner-- HEAVY influenced by the south, and a blatant copy of Future's sound, and he's turned out to be a once hit wonder.

Fetty Wap--You're reaching, but it's OK. He's another 'rapper' HEAVILY who is influenced by the south.

It really doesn't bode well for NYC if they're using the sound and style of another region. That's basically saying that NYC's sound isn't what people want to hear anymore, so if they want any chance of success, they have to adopt the sound of another region.

Jay-z isn't what he used to be, plus he's almost 50. He's become for of a business man than a rapper.
Nas- same boast as Jay minus being damn near 50, and much less for being a businessman.
Diddy- Same boat as Jay minus really being a rapper
Fat Joe- fell off
50 Cent- fell off

Atlanta, and the south in general dominates hip-hop. NYers don't even want to hear NYC rappers anymore.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:38 PM

3,505 posts, read 2,737,436 times
French Montana is still quite relevant. And Remy Ma didn't kill anyone lol. Mainstream America loves Nicki Minaj. They don't even know who Remy Ma is!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
French Montana is still quite relevant. And Remy Ma didn't kill anyone lol. Mainstream America loves Nicki Minaj. They don't even know who Remy Ma is!
He's not that relevant, and his style is without a doubt borrowed from the south. When NYC rappers have to tell you that they're not from the south because their style has Atlanta written all over it, that should tell you something.

Love & Hip-Hop NY isn't even as popular as Love & Hip-hop Atlanta.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:12 PM

482 posts, read 217,084 times
Quote:
Convenient how you left out Nicki Minaj (Queens), inarguably the biggest female rapper of all time
She is? I know NY can claim her also, but doesn't Lauryn Hill count?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
She is? I know NY can claim her also, but doesn't Lauryn Hill count?
Lauryn Hill fell off over a decade ago. Her ship has sailed.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 06-07-2017 at 11:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 10:24 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,947,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Lauryn Hill fell over a decade ago.
Doesn't matter when you put "of all time". That means her music during her prime is fair game and Lauryn Hill simply made far better music than Nicki.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Doesn't matter when you put "of all time". That means her music during her prime is fair game and Lauryn Hill simply made far better music than Nicki.
True, but Lauryn only has one album Although it's a classic.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:25 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,861,985 times
All time, NYC, but as of now ATL. I would even put LA/Cali and Chicago over NY in current times.

Younger Chicago rappers basically imitated one trap rapper (Waka Flocka) and made an entire sub-genre out of it called "Drill Music." Most of this music never made it mainstream on the radio, but social media and the internet plays such a major role now, you had people from all over imitating "Drill Music"

Chicago slang terms like "thot" (promiscuous female) and "opps" (opposition, rivals,etc.) are no commonly used by youth all over. Even young NY and NJ are making drill music

We all know the classic West Coast Cali rap, it kinda fell off for a minute, but the Bay always had an underground "sound"
LA producer DJ Mustard actually ran with that sound that originated in the Bay, so I just call it the Cali sound, it's popular in a lot of mainstream club "hip pop" sounding tracks by guys like Kid Ink, Chris Brown, Ty Dolla Sign and even a lot of those artists who are kinda mixed genre that I believe is referred to as just "Club" music but it's more like an EDM/Rap mix.

As of now, I cant think of NY having a certain sound/style that everyone else follows. NY is doing what other places are doing now.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:51 PM

157 posts, read 222,895 times
If the question is which city is more famous globally for hip hop TODAY, the answer is Atlanta. It's not even close.

The overwhelming majority of hip hop's hottest producers (Mike Will, Metro Boomin, DJ Mustard) are out of ATL.
Couple that with the biggest stars in the game right now (Migos, Rae Sremmurd, Future, 21 Savage) are all out of ATL.

Honestly, it would be hard to put NYC as 2nd place. Toronto is arguably just as big RIGHT NOW as New York on hip hop. LA and Chicago a notch below

1.) Atlanta

2.) Toronto & NYC
3.) LA and Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or