U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:10 AM

18,253 posts, read 25,974,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboon View Post
Cyhi the Prynce got more bars than almost any rapper dead or alive
Stop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:10 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,359,777 times
If there is one thing that my people, the so called African American, does not like, it's history. Our history, in particular! If something is passe, we will discard that something.

For sure, Hip hop is a part of our collective history. It is a fascinating history. Do research it. And Hip hop was not created in a vacuum. The dynamics in the NYC (The Bronx) is what begat hip hop: DJing, MCing, breakdancing, and graffiti writing. Sure, brothas from the Caribbean contributed to its development. However, all the necessary dynamics to create the subculture were no where else, save The Bronx. No, "I'm not from The Bronx, but I still boogie down!" Freeze Force.

I could write more. However, I won't.

You cats from Atlanta really should humble yourselves. Be proud of the accomplishments that your fellow Atlantans have made. However, before there was whomever from Atlanta making noise, there were years when hip hop was an NYC thing, only! The foundation to the roof had already been built. Everybody else simply copied what had already been done. Thank goodness for radio, music videos, records, tapes, and movies! Magazines?

To answer the question posed by the OP. There is only ONE city famous for hip hop: New York City! Atlanta may be famous for other things. That said, hip hop is not one of them. Please don't confuse a famous rapper or rappers, from Atlanta, with Atlanta being famous for hip hop.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 AM

8,669 posts, read 8,817,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Very false untrue on so many things

First off "Luda is the best thing to come out of Atlanta, but people down here barely rep him because he was born and raised a good bit in Illinois."

People in ATL do claim Luda and Luda clearly reps Atlanta I don't know how earth you got the idea

Luda isn't as popular now because he seen as older rapper, the Same thing that has happen with New York and it's older rapper, youngin aren't playing Busta, Faboulous, Jadakiss and etc. The hottest rappers to come out of NY the past few years are "Swag rappers" like Carti B, French Mantana, Young MA, Asap Mob, Desiigner

Second off again the same thing " OutKast and the bunch, but they arenít central to or the standard Atlanta artists look to."....................... Something tells me you are not from Atlanta... and might even a transplant from New York.

During the Time in the 90's and early 2000's etc Outkast and dungeon family and etc were " central to or the standard Atlanta artists look to." but times have change, not just for ATL but NY too. Which is again why most newer New York rappers are closer to French Mantana than method man.

I think New Yorker love that generalization as a ego pet, like as if New York is still pushing out lyrical rappers like Jadakiss and pretending most younger NY rappers now and days aren't just "swag"....... than pretend that just swag rappers just come from Atlanta then try to discredit Atlanta diversity in Hip hop history to fit there narrative.
More recent does not necessarily mean more famous. Austria is famous for Motzart and the Waltz probably more world wide than Seattle is for grunge despite Austria not really contributing for 250 years

Old 12-26-2017, 11:09 AM

3,376 posts, read 7,059,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The two biggest areas for Rap and it's spin-offs in the U.S is.
Atlanta

Puerto Rico- (more of a stretch but has U.S artists that routinely hit 100 million and involves Rappers)
Daddy Yankee
Luis Fonsi
Farruko
Bad Bunny
etcetera (Puerto Ricans are putting up serious numbers)

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=Daddy+Yankee
This dude has multiple songs with a billion views and is a rapper.
Despacito is song I have heard a few months ago being played all the time on pop radio stations. I had no idea that this song would be so immensely popular that it had reached 4.5 billion views though. I have to say, that's the most views I've seen for a music video, exceeding even Justin Bieber videos that has some in the hundreds of millions to over 1 billion. What I find most interesting about it and its humongous popularity is it's a song made entirely in Spanish, a different language from what most Americans can speak. It just goes to show that music despite language barriers can be universally enjoyed.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:29 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,568,162 times
Atlanta has been the hip-hop Mecca since 2003.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:57 PM

435 posts, read 287,413 times
There should be a genre for Trap music. Hip hop is NOT Trap and Trap is NOT Hip hop.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
There should be a genre for Trap music. Hip hop is NOT Trap and Trap is NOT Hip hop.
What exactly is the difference between the subject matter of the 90s NYC hiphop, and today's Atlanta "Trap music"?

They talk about exact same thing: Drugs, Money, Guns, The projects, women.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:14 PM

3,376 posts, read 7,059,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Atlanta has been the hip-hop Mecca since 2003.
It was split, with the East Coast being a bit more influential IMO. The New York/East Coast scene was still strong during the early 2000s, with RocaFella, Dipset, Cassidy, and not forgetting 50 cent and G-Unit being influential acts back then. ATL had Ludacris, Lil Jon, and T.I was emerging as a big artist, but ATL(or rather the southern flow or rap style) didn't feel like it was taking over radio and mainstream until around 2005-07.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
It was split, with the East Coast being a bit more influential IMO. The New York/East Coast scene was still strong during the early 2000s, with RocaFella, Dipset, Cassidy, and not forgetting 50 cent and G-Unit being influential acts back then. ATL had Ludacris, Lil Jon, and T.I was emerging as a big artist, but ATL(or rather the southern flow or rap style) didn't feel like it was taking over radio and mainstream until around 2005-07.
The early 2000 the south was right there with the East Coast.
Outkast
Cash Money
Trick Daddy
Young Bloodz
Killer Mike
Ludacris
Scarface
3-6 Mafia
8 Ball & MJG
UGK

I'm sure I'm forgetting some artists.

In 2003, Atlanta let 50 Cent have his moment January-April 2003, then Atlanta and the rest the south just took over and really took it and ran with it. EVERYTHING being played during the Summer of 2003 was from a southern artist.

The south OWNED the radio in 2003.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:07 PM

412 posts, read 613,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The early 2000 the south was right there with the East Coast.
Outkast
Cash Money
Trick Daddy
Young Bloodz
Killer Mike
Ludacris
Scarface
3-6 Mafia
8 Ball & MJG
UGK

I'm sure I'm forgetting some artists.

In 2003, Atlanta let 50 Cent have his moment January-April 2003, then Atlanta and the rest the south just took over and really took it and ran with it. EVERYTHING being played during the Summer of 2003 was from a southern artist.

The south OWNED the radio in 2003.
What does this have to do with their universal familiarity? Radio hits come and go like the wind. No one outside of the US really knows of Atlanta, despite its domestic success. Out of all those people you mentioned, only Lil Wayne (from Cash Money), and maybe Ludacris would be recognizable to the general public, and that's only due to Fast and Furious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or