U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,245 posts, read 5,534,685 times
Reputation: 3256

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I lived here a lot coming up ó back when there was Cris Lova Lova and **** Daddy show. Iím well aware of what Born and Raised Atl hip hop heads think. Luda reps the hell out of Atlanta, he has his own weekend... but if you werenít born in a zone you arenít going to get the same respect as a Grady Baby. Thatís a fact. The whole TI and Shawty all beef was based in disputing whether or not TI was from the city or an outerburb l.

When Waka came out he understood this, he reps Riverdale and has been interviewed saying he doesnít know what those ďAtlanta cats be onĒ when thugga was wearing dresses.



https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e584q3CT4wE

The meme in this classic is the mindset despite the fact that its dumb cuz everyone in clayco or somewhere outside the zones, especially now.

Jeezy is an ďAtlantaĒ rapper but heís not from here either by what you can claim by street standards. If you know about hip hop, you know every city and urban community has rules for who can claim what in their city ó Luda is half and half here, more than Jeezy, but not no DJ Yola or even a TI who is considered a square.
I know Luda, Jeezy, and TI may not be born in Atlanta, but for all intents and purposes

they are undoubtedly Atlanta rappers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2017, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
574 posts, read 423,030 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I know Luda, Jeezy, and TI may not be born in Atlanta, but for all intents and purposes

they are undoubtedly Atlanta rappers.
TI is Atlanta, ppl just dispute whether or not he really from Bankhead. Ludacris and especially Jeezy just get called out as not being true Atlanta rappers sometimes, Jeezy gets it a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 10:06 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Hi! You, my friend, would do well to proofread before posting. And please read my posts without being emotional.

I'll write it one more time. Hip hop is the whole, rap is the part. A car is the whole, an engine is the part. City Data is the whole, city vs city is the part.

The question is not which city is more famous for rap. Rap is something you do. Indeed, hip hip is something lived.

It is my contention that hip hop in the U.S., died long ago. Before the 90s. I don't want to get political. Therefore, I bid you farewell.
this post is hilarious... First off no I using logic, Second off your whole argument is emotional. Which is why it rest on you calling hip hop not hip hop just for you to create a argument.

Third off I know the difference between Hip hop culture and Rapping is, I literally have done numerous reports and watch countless docs on the subject. The Straw man here no matter what I say you going to insist I don't know... because your argument is a straw man and base on Emotion.

So I restate it, It's not you disagree you just don't want to admit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Miss Jankins (Say nothing bad).
1,232 posts, read 1,355,497 times
Reputation: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
this post is hilarious... First off no I using logic, Second off your whole argument is emotional. Which is why it rest on you calling hip hop not hip hop just for you to create a argument.

Third off I know the difference between Hip hop culture and Rapping is, I literally have done numerous reports and watch countless docs on the subject. The Straw man here no matter what I say you going to insist I don't know... because your argument is a straw man and base on Emotion.

So I restate it, It's not you disagree you just don't want to admit.
It pleases me to know that you have found humor in my post. I find humor in your posts as well. "First off no I using logic..." Hilarious! Read your sentence, dude! More straw men from me. However, it's difficult to take you seriously. I hope that someone competent has edited your hip hop/ rap reports. You've obviously learned little from the countless docs that you have viewed on the subject.

Hip hop and rap are not synonymous. I am fully aware that the mainstream has taken one of the pillars of hip hop, rap, and has ran away with it. Once again, we have allowed the mainstream to dictate the rules of something that was invented by us. For profit, of course!

Rap (hip hop music) is popular music. It's a part of popular culture. Rappers are pop artists. They star in movies, they are featured in commercials, etc. That's big business! I'm willing to boldly state that most rappers, nor the listeners, know a damn thing about hip hop. Nor do they care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 11:35 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
It's because they can't even point out Atlanta on a map. It has no presence in the world stage. People are beginning the feel the emptiness of annual attention seekers instead of real rappers. NYC never has produced as much low-hanging fruit as ATL, no disrespect, it's honestly a matter of comparing the batting average of the two. NYC had amazing consistency as far as talent and substance goes in its prime. It's reflected in the legacy, NYC is still the standard, and it's regarded as such. I'm not disputing Atlanta's role in hip-hop, it's just that they're not as famous nor praised for it as NYC.

I can say 03-04 were the only years that were evenly shared between NYC and Atlanta, perfect harmony. Great memories. The South then took over undisputedly after 2005.
I sorry while NY had good rappers back in Day like Nas, Tribe, Wu... NY also had wack rappers like biz markie, Fat boyz, Kid 'n Play and etc. but NYers aren't going to admit this,


You can't say OBD is more lyrical than A Young Thug, and You Can't say The Bestie Boyz were more lyrical than Migos. My other point was 90% of 80's NY rappers were basic to the point that most current "swag" rappers actually have more complexity. Future is not as lyrical as Nas but sure is more than whodini, It's a rose nostalgia and bias that lead to "we were all great and they were all bad" type arguments.

I actually would give NY the edge, My response is the absurd replies, And posters trying mininalize Atlanta to paint NY Hip hop in gold. As keep Mention New Orleans traditional Jazz is very different from NY Swing and Bebop.




New Orleans traditional Jazz


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73YjMg8Y15A

New York Bebop


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvPuDxNFXM

This is exact same thing that has happen With NY and Atlanta in regards to Hip hop.

And far as "It's because they can't even point out Atlanta on a map." if they are that oblivious to Atlanta then have no ground to respond in this thread over Hip hop is my other point. It have to be people who aren't familiar with Hip hop at all, just saying NY for reasons not related to Hip hop which defeats the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 12:14 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
It pleases me to know that you have found humor in my post. I find humor in your posts as well. "First off no I using logic..." Hilarious! Read your sentence, dude! More straw men from me. However, it's difficult to take you seriously. I hope that someone competent has edited your hip hop/ rap reports. You've obviously learned little from the countless docs that you have viewed on the subject.

Hip hop and rap are not synonymous. I am fully aware that the mainstream has taken one of the pillars of hip hop, rap, and has ran away with it. Once again, we have allowed the mainstream to dictate the rules of something that was invented by us. For profit, of course!

Rap (hip hop music) is popular music. It's a part of popular culture. Rappers are pop artists. They star in movies, they are featured in commercials, etc. That's big business! I'm willing to boldly state that most rappers, nor the listeners, know a damn thing about hip hop. Nor do they care!
That good to know cause I also find this post hilarious, I didn't say I learn by docs, I grew up on Hip hop I just also watch countless docs and did reports on the subject is my point otherwise stop trying to "school me" on something I likely know more about then you, it's a straw man, anyways

Everything mainstream didn't start off mainstream, just as the culture started underground in NY, Everything you see now has underground roots in Atlanta other such places. Then later became mainstream just as New York.

This go along with my earlier comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

My beliefs is about time Southern Hip hop started dominate in the 2000's. New Yorkers were in such their own bumble and ego, They ignore early Hip hop spreading to the South during the 80's. And thought of themselves as center of universe during the 90's, ignore Southern Hip hop growing in the 90's. So when Southern Hip hop exploded in the 2000's they was dumb founded to why they wasn't trying to sound like keith murray.
In late 80's and 90's the South was like a boiling pot, and by the 2000's the led blew off.

It's funny because the south was the underground and underdogs, now when Southern Hip hop blew up it's suddenly they're "pop", a lot of things you in Hip hop today see have undergrounds roots just not the underground scene your familiar with to fit your bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Miss Jankins (Say nothing bad).
1,232 posts, read 1,355,497 times
Reputation: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
That good to know cause I also find this post hilarious, I didn't say I learn by docs, I grew up on Hip hop I just also watch countless docs and did reports on the subject is my point otherwise stop trying to "school me" on something I likely know more about then you, it's a straw man, anyways

Everything mainstream didn't start off mainstream, just as the culture started underground in NY, Everything you see now has underground roots in Atlanta other such places. Then later became mainstream just as New York.

This go along with my earlier comment


In late 80's and 90's the South was like a boiling pot, and by the 2000's the led blew off.

It's funny because the south was the underground and underdogs, now when Southern Hip hop blew up it's suddenly they're "pop", a lot of things you in Hip hop today see have undergrounds roots just not the underground scene your familiar with to fit your bias.
This is becoming a rap beef (unproductive). I'm out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2018, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,919 posts, read 652,062 times
Reputation: 989
Lmao what a silly thread. The first official Hip Hop museum is about to open up in NYC. Hip hop was invented in NYC. Also the culture of the city screams more hip hop than ATL. As far as dope lyrics go I donít think the hip hop scene in Atlanta even respects lyricism but celebrates trap music which lacks originality.

In reality when it comes to underground hip hop I would even put other cities before the A such as Philly, Miami, Chicago and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,919 posts, read 652,062 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I sorry while NY had good rappers back in Day like Nas, Tribe, Wu... NY also had wack rappers like biz markie, Fat boyz, Kid 'n Play and etc. but NYers aren't going to admit this,


You can't say OBD is more lyrical than A Young Thug, and You Can't say The Bestie Boyz were more lyrical than Migos. My other point was 90% of 80's NY rappers were basic to the point that most current "swag" rappers actually have more complexity. Future is not as lyrical as Nas but sure is more than whodini, It's a rose nostalgia and bias that lead to "we were all great and they were all bad" type arguments.

I actually would give NY the edge, My response is the absurd replies, And posters trying mininalize Atlanta to paint NY Hip hop in gold. As keep Mention New Orleans traditional Jazz is very different from NY Swing and Bebop.




New Orleans traditional Jazz


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73YjMg8Y15A

New York Bebop


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvPuDxNFXM

This is exact same thing that has happen With NY and Atlanta in regards to Hip hop.

And far as "It's because they can't even point out Atlanta on a map." if they are that oblivious to Atlanta then have no ground to respond in this thread over Hip hop is my other point. It have to be people who aren't familiar with Hip hop at all, just saying NY for reasons not related to Hip hop which defeats the topic.
I had to stop reading once you compared ODB to young thug. Just another delusional southern poster!

But I think the results in the poll speak for itself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2018, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,919 posts, read 652,062 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Atlanta has been the hip-hop Mecca since 2003.
No it hasnít. Thatís a big myth. Right now in hip hop artist are coming from a number of locations.

Thereís been a rise of artist hailing from NYC as of late. Dave East, Cardi B, Tekashi 69, A boogie, Don Q, Flatbush Zombies, ASAP Mob, Casanova, Jay Critch and I might be missing more. The fresh XXL magazine this year is NYC heavy.

Atlanta is dominant in trap music but trap music is not the most popular form of music anymore. People arent impressed by rappers with no lyrics rapping about jewelry cash and guns all day!

I came back on this topic because I realized the number of Ny Artist coming back into the scene!y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top