U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:25 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,837,798 times

Advertisements

In terms of mainstream success, maybe Atlanta. But in terms of overall influence of the hip hop culture, definitely New York. New York is the literal mecca of hip hop, it's not even close. It's so ingrained in NY culture. Atlanta definitely has created a certain type of hip hop, but LA did the same thing in the 90s. The crown always comes back to NY once whatever fad has played itself out. Hip hop is more than just top 10 selling albums. It's about the 5 elements, and NYC represent all 5 well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:25 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,293,089 times
Cyhi the Prynce will be in your top 5 in the next 18 months if you like real hip hop and real lyrics

Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 PM

7,245 posts, read 5,543,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
In terms of mainstream success, maybe Atlanta. But in terms of overall influence of the hip hop culture, definitely New York. New York is the literal mecca of hip hop, it's not even close. It's so ingrained in NY culture. Atlanta definitely has created a certain type of hip hop, but LA did the same thing in the 90s. The crown always comes back to NY once whatever fad has played itself out. Hip hop is more than just top 10 selling albums. It's about the 5 elements, and NYC represent all 5 well.
LA wasn't as hot for as long as Atlanta's been hot. Atlanta has been on a 15 year run. Also, when LA was on top, NY was right beside it at the top. Today, everybody except NY is shinning, hell, it seems like you can't even be from NY if you want to be hot; you definitely can't have a NY sound. Atlanta dictates the "fads" now. The crown resides in Atlanta and the south.

If you're from NY and you want to be hot, you better sign with a southern label, or associate yourself with the south in some way, shape or form.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:39 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,293,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Thing is things are different now. Back in the day it was all about NYC. All the rappers, producers, media, etc came out of NY so everyone eye was on NY. Then some of the art form moved to the West Coast. Hip Hop had NY and Cali. Then the South and the Midwest jumped in. I'm not even sure if it will ever be like it was when hip hop first started because the flow of music from NY is different today than it used to be. Before a hot NY artist would automatically be hot to all across the country. Now generally speaking a hot NY would automatically get airplay in Philly and Conn area and thats it. The flow of new music in NY is not working for the average NY artist. The flow of music in Atlanta starts out on the street or the strip club, graduates to the nightclubs, then the radio picks it up, then all the smaller cities around Atlanta picks it up, then it blows up in the south, then a big name Atlanta artist jumps on the remix then bam its a nationwide hit. Everyone makes money from this from the clubs, to the radio, etc. Also the south has the largest population so once a record blows up in the south you already got the largest portion of the US on it and eventually it will spread across the country. In order for it to go back to NY they are going to have to clean house and start over. Local NY artist will have to get play 24/7 on the radio like it is here, etc, etc. I think NY radio is the biggest reason why more NY artist haven't blown up nationwide. Before all you had to be was from NY and you were good but those days are gone now. Plus the hating NY did to other regions when they were forming their regional hip hop has not been forgotten.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:27 AM

18,227 posts, read 25,925,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
LA wasn't as hot for as long as Atlanta's been hot. Atlanta has been on a 15 year run. Also, when LA was on top, NY was right beside it at the top. Today, everybody except NY is shinning, hell, it seems like you can't even be from NY if you want to be hot; you definitely can't have a NY sound. Atlanta dictates the "fads" now. The crown resides in Atlanta and the south.

If you're from NY and you want to be hot, you better sign with a southern label, or associate yourself with the south in some way, shape or form.
You only focused on the music. He's talking about the elements of hip hop as a whole.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 AM

1,922 posts, read 655,429 times
Quote:
I'm not running through a list of artist for each city, but I'd list the cities that I'd our above NYC
1. Atlanta (obviously the 15 year reigning hip-hop capital)
2. LA.
3. Chicago
4. Miami
5. Memphis, New Orleans, Toronto maybe even Philly

NYC
Please name the number of rappers coming from Memphis, New Orleans, Toronto and Philly compared to my list of Ny artist and then I’ll take this joke of a list serious.

List means nothing if you can’t name the talent coming from those places.

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 02-28-2018 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Most of the NYC artist that you listed are influenced by southern hip-hop, the rest aren't really hot outside of NYC....sorry.

You said Desiigner..lol
He's a carbon copy of Future, an Atlanta artist. And Desiigner is a one hit wonder; future is still relevant.
A boogie. Don Q, Dave East, Young MA, Cardi B, Niki are influenced by southern artist?

Show me the proof.

KodeBlue everyone on this forum knows your style of typing. When you can’t prove your point, you stoop low and talk nonsense and even go as far as to change the topic of the forum even though that isn’t helping you.

My only issue with you is that you will literally argue with your nonsense. Wouldn’t your online life be easier if you could prove your opinions? Smh lol

Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I agree that other cities claim it, and it's corny when they do it as well. Nobody claims LA gangs to the level that NYC artist do though.

No, I didn't give JCole any Ls, he's one of my favorite rappers. I will admit that he isn't the typical southern rapper, though.
Actually you wouldn’t know who claims LA gangs the most when you are judging it by what you see on a screen. If you actually used your eyes than NJ is probably the leader of claiming LA gangs on the east coast and your hometown of Baltimore is another east coast city with one of Thebes largest numbers of Bloods as Crips running around

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 02-28-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
You can try to make that claim, but the fact remains that 6ix9ine is a NYC rapper, who's biggest hit reached #12 on on Billboard's Hot 100, is in fact taking elements from other regions particularly the south. So, we can imply that he's only hot because he doesn't sound like a NYC rapper.

You know NYC lost when even the rappers from NY don't want that NY sound. lol
Nice try, though.
Except Tekashi sounds like a typical gangster from New York. There is nothing southern about him and he actually said his influence is Rondo number 9 who is a Chicago artist.Lol you seem mad that NYC has made its way back to hip hop lol. But then again I never understood why NYC winning (something it usually does) bothers you so much.

Plus you’re from Baltimore a city known for people blasting nothing but NY rap. LMFAO.

But the funniest part is you saying “nice try” to Murphy when he pretty much exposed the funny contradicting comment you said lol. I think he should be saying “nice try” to you. Lol

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 02-28-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Thing is things are different now. Back in the day it was all about NYC. All the rappers, producers, media, etc came out of NY so everyone eye was on NY. Then some of the art form moved to the West Coast. Hip Hop had NY and Cali. Then the South and the Midwest jumped in. I'm not even sure if it will ever be like it was when hip hop first started because the flow of music from NY is different today than it used to be. Before a hot NY artist would automatically be hot to all across the country. Now generally speaking a hot NY would automatically get airplay in Philly and Conn area and thats it. The flow of new music in NY is not working for the average NY artist. The flow of music in Atlanta starts out on the street or the strip club, graduates to the nightclubs, then the radio picks it up, then all the smaller cities around Atlanta picks it up, then it blows up in the south, then a big name Atlanta artist jumps on the remix then bam its a nationwide hit. Everyone makes money from this from the clubs, to the radio, etc. Also the south has the largest population so once a record blows up in the south you already got the largest portion of the US on it and eventually it will spread across the country. In order for it to go back to NY they are going to have to clean house and start over. Local NY artist will have to get play 24/7 on the radio like it is here, etc, etc. I think NY radio is the biggest reason why more NY artist haven't blown up nationwide. Before all you had to be was from NY and you were good but those days are gone now. Plus the hating NY did to other regions when they were forming their regional hip hop has not been forgotten.
Explain your last sentence cause none of that has stopped Jeezy, TI, Lil Wayne and many more from jumping on a track with the likes of Nas, Jay Z and Diddy and French Montana. All New Yorkers

How about London on the track recording music for 50?

Seems like the hate NYC did on the south (not other regions like you claim) seem very well forgotten!

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 02-28-2018 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or