U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.26%
New York City 194 70.80%
Equal 19 6.93%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2018, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,922 posts, read 655,429 times
Reputation: 989

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I don't know what the DC area is, as their culture is different from Baltimore area. Plus, I don't live there. I'm talking about the Baltimore area, which is clearly southern, in a clearly southern state. Baltimore's metropolitan area isn't as transient as other southern regions, so logically speaking, Baltimore is very much a southern metropolitan area.
Iíve checked your old post where you use to never claim BMore as southern. Did you learn something that made you switch your criteria of where BMore fits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,922 posts, read 655,429 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You didn't say to name 5 for a "whole entire region," you said name 5 for each city. You knoe how easy it is, hell, you claim you already know who they are, so no point in me wasting my time searching for it.
Wtf? Yes I did?

Teskahi 69
Dave East
Young MA
Cardi B
A boogie

Thatís 5 artist globally known easily!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,922 posts, read 655,429 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
This is more understandable than the claims BrooklynJo are making. No way in hell NYC is bigger than Atlanta in hiphop in 2018.
Iím not making claims since I posted facts. You are making claims since you have a hard time backing up your claim.

Also underground hip hop is very popular so basically you understand that NYC has a lead in something which would contradict your whole argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,922 posts, read 655,429 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I highly recommend you say the same thing to the person who originally brought up love & hip-hop in the first place, if not, then don't talk to me about bringing it up.

Also, the same poster used the radio as a means to further his case, yet contradicts himself by saying that radio doesn't matter anymore. Again, speak to your side about that.

I agree that NYC is the foundation, but people don't care about that now. They haven't cared for 15 years. Atlanta is what's hot (a 15 year trend to be exact). The south is what's hot. NYC is washed up.

Who cares about HOT 97, The Breakfast Club is what people listen to, and Charlemagne, who is from the south, is the biggest draw to that show, so again, the south is in play in that situation as well... You can not escape the it.
I brought up love and hip to disprove your point of Baltimore being influenced by the south. Not to show NYC dominance which means nothing since a New Yorker created the show!

If NYC is washed up then why are people feeling Cardi B, 69 and Dave East and Young Ma & A boogie ?

Charlemagne tries his best to sound like a New Yorker and he had to come up to NYC to get his position. So idk how that’s a W lol. A W would be Charlemagne staying his donkey self back in th south and being able to have to same influence. Clearly nobody knew him when he was in the south.

So basically with your logic NYC should hold the W for rich the Kid being popular since he was born in Queens?
NYC should also hold the W for Trinidad James and Wacka Flocks when they were at the height of their careers since they are both from Bronx and Queens respectively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,922 posts, read 655,429 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Loaded Lux is my favorite battle rapper ever. I've been following his career since 05.

No, Hot 97 is highly respected in the NYC area, but the breakfast club has a larger fan base outside of NYC.

I suggest you do the same thing in regards to using ignorance as a ploy. I think the issue with New Yorkers is that they think their region still runs hiphop. You can listen to the local hip-hop station for any city in the country, and you can see for yourself which city gets more play on the airwaves.

I don't know why there such a debate about something that is backed by facts. Just turn on the radio
Thereís no ignorance the NY artist making the billboards and having a strong national following are facts. How can a fact be ignorance?

NYC invented hip hop and the culture is rooted in the city and in pretty much all racial groups. They can think what they please since underground is definitely more northern owned than southern. The city is still the place to go to if you want connections or exposure!

You keep mentioning the radio that plays the same 10 songs over and get again. Who still listens to the radio to get their tunes? Lol.

Back in 05-2010 I could name a classroom size of ATL rappers who were doing their thing. To say in 2018 that ATL has he same influence it did compared to 05- 2011 is in fact ignorance. Migos/Future success doesnít mean every southern rapper is successful or nationally known!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 06:58 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,247 posts, read 5,545,772 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I brought up love and hip to disprove your point of Baltimore being influenced by the south. Not to show NYC dominance which means nothing since a New Yorker created the show!

If NYC is washed up then why are people feeling Cardi B, 69 and Dave East and Young Ma & A boogie ?

Charlemagne tries his best to sound like a New Yorker and he had to come up to NYC to get his position. So idk how thatís a W lol. A W would be Charlemagne staying his donkey self back in th south and being able to have to same influence. Clearly nobody knew him when he was in the south.

So basically with your logic NYC should hold the W for rich the Kid being popular since he was born in Queens?
NYC should also hold the W for Trinidad James and Wacka Flocks when they were at the height of their careers since they are both from Bronx and Queens respectively?
But Tammy from Love and hip hop Atlanta is from Baltimore too, so you have no argument.

What?! Dude

All of what you're talking about doesn't matter. Let me just stop playing with you and have a real discussion.

Atlanta is the top city, and the south in general is a top region because the music is catchy, the beats hit harder, it's something that people can hustle to, workout, party to, blast in the car and you can feel the base up the block. Southern rappers talk this sh*t what people want to hear. Cardi is hot because she talked that sh*t in Bodak Yellow, which is a homage to Kodak Black. If a NY rapper wants to be hot, they need to change their sound, hell, change their whole swag in general.

It's not rocket science. The south has a sound that people prefer to NY rappers. I can't workout and listen to NY hip-hop, at least not anything from the past 15 years. It doesn't give off that kind of energy.

You'll hear this same thing if you ask a lot of people who don't really listen to NY rap like that. Aside from Cardi, they don't even play NY rap on the radio around here. And lol at her biggest hit: named after a southern rapper, southern beat....see what I mean? Her song sounds NOTHING like a song a typical NY rapper would make. Every city has a underground scene of dudes trying to get on, hell that's where you'll get the best music from because they're hungry.

If I have typos, my fault. I'm out and about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,569,598 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
New Yorkers stop wearing oversized fitteds years ago.

Pelle Pelle jackets are a Bronx and Harlem thing not Bk, Queens or Si.

As far as Miami goes itís diffeent because itís an immigrant city like NYC so they dont have a southern swagger. Many of the African Americans even have Bahamian blood.
Isn't the black fashion pretty much the same in every borough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,247 posts, read 5,545,772 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Thereís no ignorance the NY artist making the billboards and having a strong national following are facts. How can a fact be ignorance?

NYC invented hip hop and the culture is rooted in the city and in pretty much all racial groups. They can think what they please since underground is definitely more northern owned than southern. The city is still the place to go to if you want connections or exposure!

You keep mentioning the radio that plays the same 10 songs over and get again. Who still listens to the radio to get their tunes? Lol.

Back in 05-2010 I could name a classroom size of ATL rappers who were doing their thing. To say in 2018 that ATL has he same influence it did compared to 05- 2011 is in fact ignorance. Migos/Future success doesnít mean every southern rapper is successful or nationally known!
There are far more than just two rappers repping the south. Come on, man let's be serious for a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2018, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,236 posts, read 25,930,159 times
Reputation: 9002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
New Yorkers stop wearing oversized fitteds years ago.

Pelle Pelle jackets are a Bronx and Harlem thing not Bk, Queens or Si.

As far as Miami goes it’s diffeent because it’s an immigrant city like NYC so they dont have a southern swagger. Many of the African Americans even have Bahamian blood.
More like the other way around. To think there isn't a Southern swagger, whatever that is, is not accurate regarding blacks in South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,922 posts, read 655,429 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
But Tammy from Love and hip hop Atlanta is from Baltimore too, so you have no argument.

What?! Dude

All of what you're talking about doesn't matter. Let me just stop playing with you and have a real discussion.

Atlanta is the top city, and the south in general is a top region because the music is catchy, the beats hit harder, it's something that people can hustle to, workout, party to, blast in the car and you can feel the base up the block. Southern rappers talk this sh*t what people want to hear. Cardi is hot because she talked that sh*t in Bodak Yellow, which is a homage to Kodak Black. If a NY rapper wants to be hot, they need to change their sound, hell, change their whole swag in general.

It's not rocket science. The south has a sound that people prefer to NY rappers. I can't workout and listen to NY hip-hop, at least not anything from the past 15 years. It doesn't give off that kind of energy.

You'll hear this same thing if you ask a lot of people who don't really listen to NY rap like that. Aside from Cardi, they don't even play NY rap on the radio around here. And lol at her biggest hit: named after a southern rapper, southern beat....see what I mean? Her song sounds NOTHING like a song a typical NY rapper would make. Every city has a underground scene of dudes trying to get on, hell that's where you'll get the best music from because they're hungry.

If I have typos, my fault. I'm out and about.
Sorry thereís no discussion if you canít back them up with facts. Plus you keep repeating the same thing over. Stop boring me.

Facts are Cardi B, 69 and Young Ma, Dave East and Jay Critch are nationally known and are making hits thatís people listen to. That is a fact. Billboards and high social media following shows this.

And the only city in the south competing with NYC is Atlanta. That umbrella term THE SOUTH is hillarious since most southern cities have never produced anything in hip hop other than New Orleans, Memphis, Miami and Houston. Mind you neither one of those cities ever had a throne in hip hop, just 1 -3 artist at a time just making noise.

You donít see this weird umbrella terms in other regions in the country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top