U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 61 22.18%
New York City 195 70.91%
Equal 19 6.91%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2017, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,182 posts, read 26,121,294 times
Reputation: 11676

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
I assumed this was a present-tense question.
It is a present-tense question.

I mean, why would someone answer with the city they thought was more famous several decades ago? Yes hip hop was born and raised in NY, but I don't think anyone is disputing that. The dispute is that Atlanta is more famous for hip hop right now -- and it is possible for a place to be more famous right now without necessarily being better historically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
If we're saying Atlanta can never be more famous because NY gave the world it's "introduction" to hip hop, that's like saying D.C can never be more famous than Philly since Philly was the first capital city.
That's a rather imperfect analogy. It would be more like Philly being the nation's capital for 181 years and dominating America's cultural, economic and political sphere with the rest of the country producing essentially nothing only to be overtaken in the last 60 years by other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:02 PM
 
149 posts, read 63,095 times
Reputation: 84
Who from Chicago is on top today ?

Chance isn't better than Kendrick or Drake !
Chief Keef,Lil Durk all those other drill rappers era is over.

Now if this was 2012 than yeah Chicago would be debatable but in 2017 i think no one city is on top.

This is Drake and Kendrick time.

Atlanta had a great run but not one rapper in Atlanta has accumulated 100 mil on the forbes list.

What solo Atlanta rapper is top 10 in history ?
I'll wait
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:07 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,725 posts, read 6,094,580 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Who from Chicago is on top today ?

Chance isn't better than Kendrick or Drake !
Chief Keef,Lil Durk all those other drill rappers era is over.

Now if this was 2012 than yeah Chicago would be debatable but in 2017 i think no one city is on top.

This is Drake and Kendrick time.

Atlanta had a great run but not one rapper in Atlanta has accumulated 100 mil on the forbes list.

What solo Atlanta rapper is top 10 in history ?
I'll wait
Is it about the money or the music? That's a strawman argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,182 posts, read 26,121,294 times
Reputation: 11676
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
It's odd how you see historical context as being obsolete. When we talk about other genres of music, as a reference, we use older musicians who pioneered the genre. It's not really different for hip-hop. Jay Z is an undisputed legend in hip-hop, so what if he's pushing 50? That's not even a legitimate argument lol. Atlanta artists aren't used as references in hip-hop in nearly the same scope as a Jay Z or Nas.
It's not even completely historical. Jay-Z is the biggest worldwide icon in hip hop today. He can sell out Wembley today. On multiple nights. He can sell out Paris. On multiple nights. By himself. Future, by comparison, has a residency in a Las Vegas nightclub. If Future could sell out stadiums around the world and amass a $600 million fortune, I'm sure he would, but he's not nearly as popular worldwide and therefore he does not.

I think people may be mistaking what is currently popular among a certain demographic in the U.S. with what is most popular around the world. Just because Migos is more popular among Black youth in America does not mean they could sell more concert tickets than A Tribe Called Quest in Kyoto. NYC has had many decades to establish its brand and did so for a long time with hardly any competition at all.

The most well-known "rapper" from Atlanta (internationally, that is) might be Lil' Jon and that's primarily on the strength of his EDM. "Turn Down For What" and "Shots" are big hits overseas.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-09-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:24 PM
 
149 posts, read 63,095 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Is it about the money or the music? That's a strawman argument.
Stop being bias and call it like it is.

Money and fame is very important.

Jay -z is worth more than 20 Atlanta rappers put together.
His empire is running the game or has been for the last 7 years. Kanye,Rihanna,J cole

Atlanta impact cannot be denied but stop pump faking like Atlanta is still on top today ! Atl had the game when Luda & Lil jon was rocking, T.i,Jeezy ( Macon ) and Soulja boy was the Atl best years.Yes NYC isn't the same and isn't on top for hip hop music anymore but the big boys still play in the mecca.

Drake is the biggest rapper out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:25 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,725 posts, read 6,094,580 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not even completely historical. Jay-Z is the biggest worldwide icon in hip hop today. He can sell out Wembley today. On multiple nights. He can sell out Paris. On multiple nights. By himself. Future, by comparison, has a residency in a Las Vegas nightclub. If Future could sell out stadiums around the world and amass a $600 million fortune, I'm sure he would, but he's not nearly as popular worldwide and therefore he does not.

I think people may be mistaking what is currently popular among a certain demographic in the U.S. with what is most popular around the world. Just because Migos is more popular among Black youth in America does not mean they could sell more concert tickets than A Tribe Called Quest in Kyoto. NYC has had many decades to establish its brand and did so for a long time with hardly any competition at all.

The most well-known "rapper" from Atlanta (internationally, that is) might be Lil' Jon and that's primarily on the strength of his EDM. "Turn Down For What" and "Shots" are big hits overseas.
With the help of Beyonce, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 PM
 
1,766 posts, read 2,773,494 times
Reputation: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
What solo Atlanta rapper is top 10 in history ?
I'll wait
I'd say Andre 3000 is arguably the most universally respected Atlanta rapper to date. He is indeed considered a legend. Whenever these types of lists are compiled, he typically leads the pack with regard to other Atlanta acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,182 posts, read 26,121,294 times
Reputation: 11676
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Drake is the biggest rapper out.
This is true as far as active rappers non-Black people likely know. He doesn't bolster the case for Atlanta, however.

Though I wonder if Drake is bigger than Kendrick globally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,182 posts, read 26,121,294 times
Reputation: 11676
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
With the help of Beyonce, of course.
Jay-Z already had a 5x Platinum album when Beyonce was best known for being the fine girl in that Case video. They very much have a symbiotic relationship, for sure, but Jay-Z was already atop the hip hop world long before Beyonce was on the scene.

And at the end of the day, Jay-Z can sell out Wembley where Lil' Yachty, Future, and T.I. can't. Doesn't matter whether Beyonce has contributed to that or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:38 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,725 posts, read 6,094,580 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Stop being bias and call it like it is.

Money and fame is very important.

Jay -z is worth more than 20 Atlanta rappers put together.
His empire is running the game or has been for the last 7 years. Kanye,Rihanna,J cole

Atlanta impact cannot be denied but stop pump faking like Atlanta is still on top today ! Atl had the game when Luda & Lil jon was rocking, T.i,Jeezy ( Macon ) and Soulja boy was the Atl best years.Yes NYC isn't the same and isn't on top for hip hop music anymore but the big boys still play in the mecca.

Drake is the biggest rapper out.
It's a strawman argument no matter how you slice it. This is about the music, and the what city runs the game. You can brag about Jay's money tho, I hope he pays you well for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top