Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's a strawman argument no matter how you slice it. This is about the music, and the what city runs the game. You can brag about Jay's money tho, I hope he pays you well for it.
It's not about "what city runs the game." It's about which city is more famous for hip around the world (not in Black America). Outside of younger Black people in the U.S., how many people do you think would recognize Future in a public setting compared to Jay-Z, P. Diddy or 50 Cent? Or even T.I. for that matter?

All you need to do is Google "Most famous rappers of all time." The top results are Eminem, Jay-Z, The Notorious B.I.G., Nas, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Snoop, Ice Cube, Kendrick, Drake, Rakim, Andre 3000 and 50 Cent. Don't confuse being Black famous with being famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Jay-Z already had a 5x Platinum album when Beyonce was best known for being the fine girl in that Case video. They very much have a symbiotic relationship, for sure, but Jay-Z was already atop the hip hop world long before Beyonce was on the scene.

And at the end of the day, Jay-Z can sell out Wembley where Lil' Yachty, Future, and T.I. can't. Doesn't matter whether Beyonce has contributed to that or not.
Future can sell out Wembley.

Jay's ability to sell out Wembley doesn't help NYC currently though. He's appears to be the only NYC rapper who appears to be relevant. He's well past his prime tho.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 PM

482 posts, read 398,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Drake is the biggest rapper out.
Speaking of Drake, I saw Toronto was mentioned on here earlier. Was that just because of Drake or are there multiple Toronto guys out there doing it that I don't know about. Or is Drake big enough to put the whole city on by himself?

That reminds me: remember when Nelly put St. Louis on? That lasted a good, what, 3 years? LOL

Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Future can sell out Wembley.
Of course, he can. That's why he's got a Vegas residency alongside current musical powerhouses like Celine Dion and Ricky Martin. Vegas residencies are for celebrity DJs, artists who are way past their prime and have lost nearly all mass appeal, and artists who have yet go to mainstream. Or, in Chris Brown's case, an artist who savagely beat up his GF and no longer has the squeaky clean mainstream appeal he once did.

Quote:
Jay's ability to sell out Wembley doesn't help NYC currently though. He's appears to be the only NYC rapper who appears to be relevant. He's well past his prime tho.
Sure, it does. He's the most famous rapper on earth. There are a lot of Black people in the 40-50 range who haven't even heard of a lot of Atlanta rappers, little less middle class White people in the U.S., little less people in Korea, South Africa, Portugal, Mexico, etc.

You're still confusing "relevant" and "famous." They are not necessarily one in the same. Babe Ruth is no longer relevant--he's been dead for nearly 70 years--yet he still may be one of the first names people utter when asked to name a famous baseball player. Muhammad Ali, likewise, is no longer relevant, but he's a bigger name than anyone in the sport of boxing today. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Tyson is more famous than Floyd Mayweather.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-09-2017 at 11:02 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 11:16 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Of course, he can. That's why he's got a Vegas residency alongside current musical powerhouses like Celine Dion and Ricky Martin. Vegas residencies are for celebrity DJs, artists who are way past their prime and have lost nearly all mass appeal, and artists who have yet go to mainstream. Or, in Chris Brown's case, an artist who savagely beat up his GF and no longer has the squeaky clean mainstream appeal he once did.

Sure, it does. He's the most famous rapper on earth. There are a lot of Black people in the 40-50 range who haven't even heard of a lot of Atlanta rappers, little less middle class White people in the U.S., little less people in Korea, South Africa, Portugal, Mexico, etc.

You're still confusing "relevant" and "famous." They are not necessarily one in the same. Babe Ruth is no longer relevant--he's been dead for nearly 70 years--yet he still may be one of the first names people utter when asked to name a famous baseball player. Muhammad Ali, likewise, is no longer relevant, but he's a bigger name than anyone in the sport of boxing today. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Tyson is more famous than Floyd Mayweather.
Not at all. I'm aware of Jay's level of Fame, though, I would argue that Eminem is equally famous.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I'm aware of Jay's level of Fame, though, I would argue that Eminem is equally famous.
So that means Jay-Z, at worst, is tied for most famous rapper on earth. Unlike Eminem, though, he's done a lot more to put his hometown in the public consciousness. Nearly everyone knows where Jay-Z is from, but MM doesn't promote the D as strongly. There is 8 Mile, though...

Old 06-09-2017, 11:21 PM

149 posts, read 113,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
Speaking of Drake, I saw Toronto was mentioned on here earlier. Was that just because of Drake or are there multiple Toronto guys out there doing it that I don't know about. Or is Drake big enough to put the whole city on by himself?

That reminds me: remember when Nelly put St. Louis on? That lasted a good, what, 3 years? LOL
Right lol,whoever said Toronto was super bias.

And even Chicago i mean really

Old 06-09-2017, 11:26 PM

149 posts, read 113,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I'd say Andre 3000 is arguably the most universally respected Atlanta rapper to date. He is indeed considered a legend. Whenever these types of lists are compiled, he typically leads the pack with regard to other Atlanta acts.

Andre 3000 is a solo rapper ? If so name his solo rap debut

This is ridiculous!

Old 06-09-2017, 11:28 PM

I think something else that makes a difference is that 95% of the hip hop videos NYC artists made were shot on the streets. Onyx's "Walk in New York," Digable Planets' "Ninth Wonder," Biggie Smalls' "Juicy," Jay-Z's "Hard Knock Life," etc, etc, etc. You're more likely to develop a stronger association with a city when you have visual images of that city tied to the music. Videos aren't as popular today and the few that are made take place in clubs or locations for "ballers."

Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Andre 3000 is a solo rapper ? If so name his solo rap debut

This is ridiculous!
He's a solo "featured" artist. He jumps on somebody else's track every 4-5 years and makes it a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City