Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:57 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well yeah. I've said this before on here. No hate on Atlanta but it didn't really have a sound to it's own until this trap sound. The booty shaking sound is Miami.
I don't agree with that. Ghost Town DJs, KP & Enyvi, Kilo Ali, Corina, etc. was its own distinctive style of booty shake that was slower and less raucous than what was coming out of Miami during the late 80s/early 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 02:13 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What?!?! Blasphemy...

You're giving him top 10 even though he hasn't released a solo album. What qualifies him in the TOP 10?
Strictly from a MC perspective you can put him in your Top 10 along with others like Black Thought, Jadakiss, Big Pun and Pharoahe Monch in my opinion.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I gotta stop you there. As I've stated before, ATL had a much more distinct sound with the Dungeon Family, which is more laid back funk. Then Lil John in the early 2000s; Lil john's beats were so popular because as frequently as it was heard, they were mostly used by Atlanta artist. Then you had Jazzy Pha, which was similar to the Dungeon Family. Actually back then, Atlanta had a very distinct sound; today, however, everywhere else is adopting Atlanta's sound, so it doesn't seem as unique anymore. It goes to show how influential Atlanta has become.
Nobody viewed the sound coming out of the Dungeon Family as "The Atlanta Sound", it was a style of soulful Hip Hop that artists from all over the country were using at the time. An argument can be made that they adopted the sound from artists like Pete Rock & CL Smooth as well as a Tribe Called Quest

Old 06-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think we need to put aside the why he is famous. The same could be said for Tupac. In terms of global recognition, they are 2 of the 3 most famous rap artists to ever live.
I agree

Old 06-22-2017, 02:21 PM

No way 3000 could be on a Mt. Rushmore over Nas though. Many hip hop heads consider Illmatic the best hip hop album ever made.

Quote:
The album is widely regarded as the greatest hip hop album of all time, appearing on numerous best album lists by critics and publications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illmatic

How can a guy without a single solo album rank ahead of a guy who has made what some consider the greatest album ever?

Old 06-22-2017, 02:24 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't agree with that. Ghost Town DJs, KP & Enyvi, Kilo Ali, Corina, etc. was its own distinctive style of booty shake that was slower and less raucous than what was coming out of Miami during the late 80s/early 90s.
Ghosttown DJ's did sound like something from Miami back in 96. I can see KP and Envi but that was just the sound evolving. It still had its roots Miami influence.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well yeah. I've said this before on here. No hate on Atlanta but it didn't really have a sound to it's own until this trap sound. The booty shaking sound is Miami. They tried to bounce at one point, which was New Orleans. They tried the crunk/get buck sound, which was Memphis. All of these styles started in the late 80s in these respective cities. Atlanta borrowed from the cities in ways and capitalized this. In the 90s, Atlanta and Miami made similar music mostly.
I agree with this statement and let me add that the electro-hip hop movement out of NYC in the early 80's ("Planet Rock", "Jam On It") laid the foundation for Miami Bass and early West Coast (ex - JJ Fad Supersonic) and "Triggerman" by the Showboys laid the foundation for Bounce Music which came out of New Orleans. Also take a listen to RUN DMC's "Together Forever" (1984) and you will hear the foundation for that Texas slowed-down sound, even Bun B's signature double-echo word style came straight from DMC. NYC not only laid birthed Hip Hop but also laid down multiple sound foundations that were picked up by other regions but respect to them because they flipped it and created their own originality out of it

Old 06-22-2017, 02:31 PM

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51...MDIyNA%3D%3D.2

Old 06-22-2017, 02:31 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I gotta stop you there. As I've stated before, ATL had a much more distinct sound with the Dungeon Family, which is more laid back funk. Then Lil John in the early 2000s; Lil john's beats were so popular because as frequently as it was heard, they were mostly used by Atlanta artist. Then you had Jazzy Pha, which was similar to the Dungeon Family. Actually back then, Atlanta had a very distinct sound; today, however, everywhere else is adopting Atlanta's sound, so it doesn't seem as unique anymore. It goes to show how influential Atlanta has become.
laid back funk was definitely not distinct with Dungeon Family. Lil jon in the early 2000s was crunk and we know where crunk came from. That's what I'm saying.

Memphis started crunk
New Orleans was bounce
Houston was screw
Miami was booty shaking

Throughout the late 80s and 90s, these were the sounds that dominated and fused with regions. Atlanta's sound was not really known. We just know they had music from there and it was popular. We knew about DJ Taz and Raheem. We knew about Kilo Ali. We knew about So so def. But much of that could have been misconstrued as Miami or even Orlando. People thought the 69 boyz was from either Miami or Atlanta and it wasn't until the year after that we found out that they were from Orlando.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:32 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Nobody viewed the sound coming out of the Dungeon Family as "The Atlanta Sound", it was a style of soulful Hip Hop that artists from all over the country were using at the time. An argument can be made that they adopted the sound from artists like Pete Rock & CL Smooth as well as a Tribe Called Quest
Nobody as in NY?

You can hear a track, and know that it was from Atlanta artist. Well, some of us can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City