Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 03:39 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
What does this have to do with their universal familiarity? Radio hits come and go like the wind. No one outside of the US really knows of Atlanta, despite its domestic success. Out of all those people you mentioned, only Lil Wayne (from Cash Money), and maybe Ludacris would be recognizable to the general public, and that's only due to Fast and Furious.

I wasn't talking to you.

My comments are NOT about universal familiarity, my comments are about when the south took over.

How do you know who is generally known outside of the US? Where is your proof? If that was the case, then the rest of the world is about 15 YEARS behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 04:27 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
I do not agree that Atlanta has been the Mecca since 2003.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wasn't talking to you.

My comments are NOT about universal familiarity, my comments are about when the south took over.

How do you know who is generally known outside of the US? Where is your proof? If that was the case, then the rest of the world is about 15 YEARS behind.
They're not generally all that much behind; they're aware of popular artists and other trendy things. They just dont associate that style or influence with the city of Atlanta itself, it's just "American". It's just not big enough. Though in NYC and LA's case, it's interwoven in their urban fabric and identity worldwide.

In regards to the bolded, as another poster accurately stated; more recent doesn't mean more famous.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:57 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
They're not generally all that much behind; they're aware of popular artists and other trendy things. They just dont associate that style or influence with the city of Atlanta itself, it's just "American". It's just not big enough. Though in NYC and LA's case, it's interwoven in their urban fabric and identity worldwide.

In regards to the bolded, as another poster accurately stated; more recent doesn't mean more famous.
They would have to be that far behind if they aren't seeing Atlanta as the Mecca of hip-hop in this day and age. The last time NYC had a that kind of influence in hip-hop was 2003, after that, hip-hop moved to the south.

How can hip-hop be woven into NYC globally, and they not think of a bunch of old guys.

I also think that NYC still thinks that it's local hip-hop artist and culture are still relevant in the grand scheme... Atlanta took that too, and shared it with Miami, New Orleans and Memphis.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:06 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
More recent does not necessarily mean more famous. Austria is famous for Motzart and the Waltz probably more world wide than Seattle is for grunge despite Austria not really contributing for 250 years
This is basically a reflected straw man and doesn't make sense to what I said

The topic is "hip hop", also.......... "If Austria is famous for Motzart and the Waltz probably more world wide than Seattle is for grunge" ... that doesn't make Austria famous "for grunge".. it more famous "for Classical music".. logically if topic is grunge than Seattle still would be more famous in that regard for that topic.

Hip Hop started in the late 70's. but didn't start to go mainstream until mid 80's, with in less than 15 years latter Atlanta in early 90's Atlanta has major presence. That is 25 years ago.

This means 3/4 of the genre history Atlanta has a large presence. What is "recent" about 3/4 of the genre history.

This has nothing to do with "recent" it mean the person is oblivious 75% of Hip Hop history.... And doesn't have the ground to comment on Hip hop.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
There should be a genre for Trap music. Hip hop is NOT Trap and Trap is NOT Hip hop.
Trap is sub genre of Hip hop....... Hip hop is not one monolithic genre.

It's like how Punk Rock and heavy metal are both Rock but different sub genres

Trap, Miami, G Funk, hyphy, Crunk, Drills, Screwed, and etc etc etc. There even genres of Hip hop in another countries that's not popular in the US.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:15 PM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This is basically a reflected straw man and doesn't make sense to what I said

The topic is "hip hop", also.......... "If Austria is famous for Motzart and the Waltz probably more world wide than Seattle is for grunge" ... that doesn't make Austria famous "for grunge".. it more famous "for Classical music".. logically if topic is grunge than Seattle still would be more famous in that regard for that topic.

Hip Hop started in the late 70's. but didn't start to go mainstream until mid 80's, with in less than 15 years latter Atlanta in early 90's Atlanta has major presence. That is 25 years ago.

This means 3/4 of the genre history Atlanta has a large presence. What is "recent" about 3/4 of the genre history.

This has nothing to do with "recent" it mean the person is oblivious 75% of Hip Hop history.... And doesn't have the ground to comment on Hip hop.
Actually started in the early 70’s when it was interwoven with disco music and block parties.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:17 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times

I'm just having fun.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
If there is one thing that my people, the so called African American, does not like, it's history. Our history, in particular! If something is passe, we will discard that something.

For sure, Hip hop is a part of our collective history. It is a fascinating history. Do research it. And Hip hop was not created in a vacuum. The dynamics in the NYC (The Bronx) is what begat hip hop: DJing, MCing, breakdancing, and graffiti writing. Sure, brothas from the Caribbean contributed to its development. However, all the necessary dynamics to create the subculture were no where else, save The Bronx. No, "I'm not from The Bronx, but I still boogie down!" Freeze Force.

I could write more. However, I won't.

You cats from Atlanta really should humble yourselves. Be proud of the accomplishments that your fellow Atlantans have made. However, before there was whomever from Atlanta making noise, there were years when hip hop was an NYC thing, only! The foundation to the roof had already been built. Everybody else simply copied what had already been done. Thank goodness for radio, music videos, records, tapes, and movies! Magazines?

To answer the question posed by the OP. There is only ONE city famous for hip hop: New York City! Atlanta may be famous for other things. That said, hip hop is not one of them. Please don't confuse a famous rapper or rappers, from Atlanta, with Atlanta being famous for hip hop.

I literally already respond to your post in this post before even posted

http://www.city-data.com/forum/50366820-post514.html

Jazz started in New Orleans but so does that mean NY Harlem is not famous for Jazz too?

New Orleans was famous dixieland Jazz, when saint come marching in.

NY was more famous for Swing and Bebop.

The relationship that New Orleans, Chicago and New York made in jazz

Is basically the relationship. New York, LA and ATL have with Hip hop. With in the last 30 to 20 years.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually started in the early 70’s when it was interwoven with disco music and block parties.
I did all kinda of reports on Hip hop,

If you going to included that you would basic have say all other cities started the same thing by the early 80's. because by then rap was on record and afrika bambaataa was spreading the genre.

Part of another post I made, A lot of East Coasters don't separate the 90's NY sound from the 80's and 70's sound. This breaks an error because Atlanta, LA, Houston, and Miami were already forming their own scenes in the 80's, before the NY 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City