Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 07:50 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This is basically a reflected straw man and doesn't make sense to what I said

The topic is "hip hop", also.......... "If Austria is famous for Motzart and the Waltz probably more world wide than Seattle is for grunge" ... that doesn't make Austria famous "for grunge".. it more famous "for Classical music".. logically if topic is grunge than Seattle still would be more famous in that regard for that topic.

Hip Hop started in the late 70's. but didn't start to go mainstream until mid 80's, with in less than 15 years latter Atlanta in early 90's Atlanta has major presence. That is 25 years ago.

This means 3/4 of the genre history Atlanta has a large presence. What is "recent" about 3/4 of the genre history.

This has nothing to do with "recent" it mean the person is oblivious 75% of Hip Hop history.... And doesn't have the ground to comment on Hip hop.
I'm just saying just because one city has done more recently doesn't mean it's more famous because once music is released it doesn't just die. It persists. A lot of those 90s early 00s New Yorkers still have lots of music that's still popular today even if it's not new.

The Question isn't which city is producing more hip hop today it is which city is more famous which is more of a cumulation of the entire history not necessarily active artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 08:19 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,398 times
Quote:
I literally already respond to your post in this post before even posted

http://www.city-data.com/forum/50366820-post514.html

Jazz started in New Orleans but so does that mean NY Harlem is not famous for Jazz too?

New Orleans was famous dixieland Jazz, when saint come marching in.

NY was more famous for Swing and Bebop.

The relationship that New Orleans, Chicago and New York made in jazz

Is basically the relationship. New York, LA and ATL have with Hip hop. With in the last 30 to 20 years.
You are very passionate about this subject, rap, in particular. The question posed is: Which city is more famous for Hip Hop: Atlanta or New York City? The OP infers, by his question, that Atlanta is famous for hip hop. I respectfully disagree. Atlanta does have some famous rappers. However, hip hop and rap, although used interchangeably, are not synonymous. The former is the whole, the latter is the part.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:35 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I'm just saying just because one city has done more recently doesn't mean it's more famous because once music is released it doesn't just die. It persists. A lot of those 90s early 00s New Yorkers still have lots of music that's still popular today even if it's not new.

The Question isn't which city is producing more hip hop today it is which city is more famous which is more of a cumulation of the entire history not necessarily active artists.
This goes back to straw man.... Atlanta presence in Hip hop did not just start "recently" The first platinum artists from Atlanta are closer to start of hip hop then they are now 2017. To unaware of Atlanta in hip hop you have to be oblivious to 3/4 the history of Hip hop altogether.

The Straw man you keep saying "recent" 'today"....... when 25 years ago isn't recent in the time frame of Hip hop. Some one saying they're not familiar with ATL Hip Hop I'm going take there not familiar with Hip hop. Atlanta has a had major hand in Hip hop for decades now. That means not just recently but you have to be oblivious to Hip hop for decades to not be.

As mention in another post this is like asking what city is more famous for Jazz New Orleans or New York? You can'y really answer it because Jazz started in New Orleans and has distant New Orleans Jazz sound, but Jazz also spread and NY Harlem renaissance is known for Swing later Bebop. Their both famous for Jazz for different reasons and sounds.

That basically the issues Hip hop started in NY and has distant NY sound, but Hip hop also spread and ATL became one of the prominent cities. Their both famous for Hip hop for different reasons and sounds.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:57 PM

909 posts, read 1,082,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
They would have to be that far behind if they aren't seeing Atlanta as the Mecca of hip-hop in this day and age. The last time NYC had a that kind of influence in hip-hop was 2003, after that, hip-hop moved to the south.

How can hip-hop be woven into NYC globally, and they not think of a bunch of old guys.

I also think that NYC still thinks that it's local hip-hop artist and culture are still relevant in the grand scheme... Atlanta took that too, and shared it with Miami, New Orleans and Memphis.
It's because they can't even point out Atlanta on a map. It has no presence in the world stage. People are beginning the feel the emptiness of annual attention seekers instead of real rappers. NYC never has produced as much low-hanging fruit as ATL, no disrespect, it's honestly a matter of comparing the batting average of the two. NYC had amazing consistency as far as talent and substance goes in its prime. It's reflected in the legacy, NYC is still the standard, and it's regarded as such. I'm not disputing Atlanta's role in hip-hop, it's just that they're not as famous nor praised for it as NYC.

I can say 03-04 were the only years that were evenly shared between NYC and Atlanta, perfect harmony. Great memories. The South then took over undisputedly after 2005.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:04 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
I did all kinda of reports on Hip hop,

If you going to included that you would basic have say all other cities started the same thing by the early 80's. because by then rap was on record and afrika bambaataa was spreading the genre.

Part of another post I made, A lot of East Coasters don't separate the 90's NY sound from the 80's and 70's sound. This breaks an error because Atlanta, LA, Houston, and Miami were already forming their own scenes in the 80's, before the NY 90's.
Nah and they don’t?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:35 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
You are very passionate about this subject, rap, in particular. The question posed is: Which city is more famous for Hip Hop: Atlanta or New York City? The OP infers, by his question, that Atlanta is famous for hip hop. I respectfully disagree. Atlanta does have some famous rappers. However, hip hop and rap, although used interchangeably, are not synonymous. The former is the whole, the latter is the part.
It's not you disagree you just don't want to admit.

Early NY Hip hop in 70's and 80's are just as different from NY 90's rappers as they were from the West coast and southern rappers from 90's.

New York didn't just start NY but by the 90's it grew evolved into a whole new sub genre...... The error is when NYer don't distinct this then compare everything to 90's NY, When Hip hop in south and West from 70's and early 80's Hip hop. Not the 90's NY stuff..

It you listen to.......
  1. Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock.............. then listen to
  2. 2 live crew - move something.... then
  3. Migos - bad and boujee

The evoulation would makes

But NYer out here going
  1. Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock.
  2. Nas NY state of Mind.........
  3. Migos - bad and boujee "this isn't hip hop"

The original Hip hop from New York was not lyrical and was more party centric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDCYjb8RHk

by the mid 80's to early 90's Hip hop already spread to other regions, they took influence by the early party centric Hip hop and development it more in that direction.

This song is 2 live Crew from the 80's, you pay attention you can hear elements like rolling snare and hi hats, that common in Trap music. They started in Bass music sub genre. This actually samples the song above...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0hHrenIwio

This how Hip hop went from Planet Rock to bad and boujee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-sJp1FfG7Q

New York in the late 80's went in a different direction with more of a New Jack swing sound. And West coast G funk sound.

My beliefs is about time Southern Hip hop started dominate in the 2000's. New Yorkers were in such their own bumble and ego, They ignore early Hip hop spreading to the South during the 80's. And thought of themselves as center of universe during the 90's, ignore Southern Hip hop growing in the 90's. So when Southern Hip hop exploded in the 2000's they was dumb founded to why they wasn't trying to sound like keith murray.

And no matter how bias you want to be doesn't make this more connected to Earlier Hip hop than 2 live crew or even Migos. And this something a lot of New Yorker do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcSoE1bt_A

Old 12-26-2017, 10:24 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,398 times
Quote:
]
Hi! You, my friend, would do well to proofread before posting. And please read my posts without being emotional.

I'll write it one more time. Hip hop is the whole, rap is the part. A car is the whole, an engine is the part. City Data is the whole, city vs city is the part.

The question is not which city is more famous for rap. Rap is something you do. Indeed, hip hip is something lived.

It is my contention that hip hop in the U.S., died long ago. Before the 90s. I don't want to get political. Therefore, I bid you farewell.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:32 PM

615 posts, read 598,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
It is my contention that hip hop in the U.S., died long ago. Before the 90s. I don't want to get political. Therefore, I bid you farewell.
Hip Hop is the most popular genre of music in the USA today.

For the first time ever, hip-hop dethrones rock as most popular music genre in the U.S. | National Post

The people driving this though are not even from the US. It's your boys Drake, Weeknd, Nav, that's that north north that up top that OVO and that XO.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:45 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:

Early NY Hip hop in 70's and 80's are just as different from NY 90's rappers as they were from the West coast and southern rappers from 90's.

New York didn't just start NY but by the 90's it grew evolved into a whole new sub genre...... The error is when NYer don't distinct this then compare everything to 90's NY, When Hip hop in south and West from 70's and early 80's Hip hop. Not the 90's NY stuff..

It you listen to.......
  1. Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock.............. then listen to
  2. 2 live crew - move something.... then
  3. Migos - bad and boujee

The evoulation would makes

But NYer out here going
  1. Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock.
  2. Nas NY state of Mind.........
  3. Migos - bad and boujee "this isn't hip hop"

The original Hip hop from New York was not lyrical and was more party centric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDCYjb8RHk

by the mid 80's to early 90's Hip hop already spread to other regions, they took influence by the early party centric Hip hop and development it more in that direction.

This song is 2 live Crew from the 80's, you pay attention you can hear elements like rolling snare and hi hats, that common in Trap music. They started in Bass music sub genre. This actually samples the song above...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0hHrenIwio

This how Hip hop went from Planet Rock to bad and boujee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-sJp1FfG7Q

New York in the late 80's went in a different direction with more of a New Jack swing sound. And West coast G funk sound.

My beliefs is about time Southern Hip hop started dominate in the 2000's. New Yorkers were in such their own bumble and ego, They ignore early Hip hop spreading to the South during the 80's. And thought of themselves as center of universe during the 90's, ignore Southern Hip hop growing in the 90's. So when Southern Hip hop exploded in the 2000's they was dumb founded to why they wasn't trying to sound like keith murray.

And no matter how bias you want to be doesn't make this more connected to Earlier Hip hop than 2 live crew or even Migos. And this something a lot of New Yorker do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcSoE1bt_A
The thing with New Jack Swing is that it both sides in terms of R&B and Rap. An example of Rap/Hip Hop with a New Jack Swing sound from 1989:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj1i...&feature=share

So, there was crossover in terms of that sound.

If anything, the late 80’s/early-mid 90’s brought about a lot of diversity in terms of the Rap game from NYC. You had anything from X Clan to Kwame to Big Daddy Kane to young Nas to Heavy D to De La Soul to Mobb Deep to Biz Markie to MC Lyte and on and on. Everything wasn’t the same and I think that is why people from NYC felt the way they did. Not so much that people from other regions were getting in on the game, but that there was a perception of what was coming out sounded too similar or may have(real or perceived) lacked that diversity.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:34 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,110 times
Quote:
Very false untrue on so many things

First off "Luda is the best thing to come out of Atlanta, but people down here barely rep him because he was born and raised a good bit in Illinois."

People in ATL do claim Luda and Luda clearly reps Atlanta I don't know how earth you got the idea

Luda isn't as popular now because he seen as older rapper, the Same thing that has happen with New York and it's older rapper, youngin aren't playing Busta, Faboulous, Jadakiss and etc. The hottest rappers to come out of NY the past few years are "Swag rappers" like Carti B, French Mantana, Young MA, Asap Mob, Desiigner

Second off again the same thing " OutKast and the bunch, but they aren’t central to or the standard Atlanta artists look to."....................... Something tells me you are not from Atlanta... and might even a transplant from New York.

During the Time in the 90's and early 2000's etc Outkast and dungeon family and etc were " central to or the standard Atlanta artists look to." but times have change, not just for ATL but NY too. Which is again why most newer New York rappers are closer to French Mantana than method man.

I think New Yorker love that generalization as a ego pet, like as if New York is still pushing out lyrical rappers like Jadakiss and pretending most younger NY rappers now and days aren't just "swag"....... than pretend that just swag rappers just come from Atlanta then try to discredit Atlanta diversity in Hip hop history to fit there narrative.
I lived here a lot coming up — back when there was Cris Lova Lova and **** Daddy show. I’m well aware of what Born and Raised Atl hip hop heads think. Luda reps the hell out of Atlanta, he has his own weekend... but if you weren’t born in a zone you aren’t going to get the same respect as a Grady Baby. That’s a fact. The whole TI and Shawty all beef was based in disputing whether or not TI was from the city or an outerburb l.

When Waka came out he understood this, he reps Riverdale and has been interviewed saying he doesn’t know what those “Atlanta cats be on” when thugga was wearing dresses.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e584q3CT4wE

The meme in this classic is the mindset despite the fact that its dumb cuz everyone in clayco or somewhere outside the zones, especially now.

Jeezy is an “Atlanta” rapper but he’s not from here either by what you can claim by street standards. If you know about hip hop, you know every city and urban community has rules for who can claim what in their city — Luda is half and half here, more than Jeezy, but not no DG Yola or even a TI who is considered a square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City