Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:18 PM

909 posts, read 1,082,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Loaded Lux is my favorite battle rapper ever. I've been following his career since 05.

No, Hot 97 is highly respected in the NYC area, but the breakfast club has a larger fan base outside of NYC.

I suggest you do the same thing in regards to using ignorance as a ploy. I think the issue with New Yorkers is that they think their region still runs hiphop. You can listen to the local hip-hop station for any city in the country, and you can see for yourself which city gets more play on the airwaves.

I don't know why there such a debate about something that is backed by facts. Just turn on the radio
My point was not to say NYC "still runs hip-hop", it's in regards to you claiming NYC is somehow insignificant as a result or has no influence due to Atlanta's rise with words like "corny" or saying no one wants to hear NYC artists. It's just blatantly false and shows clear bias. The only real superstar act out of Atlanta right now is Migos, they're the modern day Beastie Boys. If they continue to adapt and diversify, they can have longevity like they did. Neither group has emphasis on lyrics, but their delivery, style, flow, and chemistry is what draws people in.

Other than them, there's no real potential out of that wave, from what I can see. Kinda underwhelming from the city that ran hip-hop for 15 years, I'd say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 04:24 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
1. Baltimore isn't a southern city. It is New York influenced just Philly. It has some southern influences but if you wanna keep it 100 all cities have some type of southern influence, even NYC. Tekashi69 has southern influence but so does every NY rapper that has came out since 50 cent. Every region contributes to the culture and I think it's cool. Just paying homage to one another.
Baltimore definitely isn't influenced by NYC. Baltimore is more definitely a southern city. NYC doesn't influence anything around here, I keep telling y'all that. NY might influence Philly, but not us. Baltimore has been heavier on southern hip-hop back when Cash Money and 3-6 Mafia got hot. This isn't the 90s anymore. Generally speaking, Baltimore couldn't care less about NY hip-hop.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,712 times
Quote:
Baltimore definitely isn't influenced by NYC. Baltimore is more definitely a southern city. NYC doesn't influence anything around here, I keep telling y'all that. NY might influence Philly, but not us. Baltimore has been heavier on southern hip-hop back when Cash Money and 3-6 Mafia got hot. This isn't the 90s anymore. Generally speaking, Baltimore couldn't care less about NY hip-hop.
That fact Baltimore says the word "yo" so much proves the northern influence. Baltimore dudes dress similar to NYC dudes too. Baltimore looks lime a Northern city not a southern city. The Philly style rowhouses everywhere, blue collar feel, the slang. Baltimore has influence from NYC, Philly, and down south I know I used to live in Baltimore off North ave and Bentalou St. It's a unique place but it's not southern the same way Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, Charlotte, Louisville, Little Rock is....

Old 03-02-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
That fact Baltimore says the word "yo" so much proves the northern influence. Baltimore dudes dress similar to NYC dudes too. Baltimore looks lime a Northern city not a southern city. The Philly style rowhouses everywhere, blue collar feel, the slang. Baltimore has influence from NYC, Philly, and down south I know I used to live in Baltimore off North ave and Bentalou St. It's a unique place but it's not southern the same way Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, Charlotte, Louisville, Little Rock is....
People say "yo" everywhere. Baltimore, I will admit, uses the term more than anywhere else including NYC. Baltimore people don't dress like people in NYC. We don't wear the oversized fitteds, we don't wear the Pelle leather jackets, I definitely don't see where you got that one from. Baltimore has Baltimore style rowhouses, not Philly style. Baltimore has always been a rowhouse city. People claim that Philly looks like NYC anyway.. Baltimore doesn't make that claim. I know exactly where you're talking about, right by Carver High School. Baltimore has always been a southern city, but people think of southern as a certain way. Baltimore is just another version of southern that defies most people's logic. New Orleans and Atlanta aren't the same, Miami and Atlanta aren't the same. Richmond has rowhouses and is nothing like Miami, but they are all southern.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
People say "yo" everywhere. Baltimore, I will admit, uses the term more than anywhere else including NYC. Baltimore people don't dress like people in NYC. We don't wear the oversized fitteds, we don't wear the Pelle leather jackets, I definitely don't see where you got that one from. Baltimore has Baltimore style rowhouses, not Philly style. Baltimore has always been a rowhouse city. People claim that Philly looks like NYC anyway.. Baltimore doesn't make that claim. I know exactly where you're talking about, right by Carver High School. Baltimore has always been a southern city, but people think of southern as a certain way. Baltimore is just another version of southern that defies most people's logic. New Orleans and Atlanta aren't the same, Miami and Atlanta aren't the same. Richmond has rowhouses and is nothing like Miami, but they are all southern.
You are trolling bro...

Old 03-02-2018, 04:59 PM

Bro cmon you are really REACHING right now. Baltimore looks just like Philly. Philly looks a lot more like Baltimore than New York. This isn't even up for debate we can post pictures of these cities but I don't feel like going through the work because this has been done before. Richmond and Baltimore look nothing alike, but some parts of central Richmond do favor D.C. though. Baltimore is famous for its club music scene, which is a north attribute because the South doesn't do club music. Baltimore, Philly, New Jersey, Detroit, and Chicago have club music culture though.

Just accept that Baltimore, Maryland had Northern influences...

Old 03-02-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Bro cmon you are really REACHING right now. Baltimore looks just like Philly. Philly looks a lot more like Baltimore than New York. This isn't even up for debate we can post pictures of these cities but I don't feel like going through the work because this has been done before. Richmond and Baltimore look nothing alike, but some parts of central Richmond do favor D.C. though. Baltimore is famous for its club music scene, which is a north attribute because the South doesn't do club music. Baltimore, Philly, New Jersey, Detroit, and Chicago have club music culture though.

Just accept that Baltimore, Maryland had Northern influences...
How is club music a northern attribute if it was started in a southern city? It started in Baltimore. I agree that Baltimore are Philly have SOME similar housing stock, but both cities have a diverse array of styles that is unique to each city.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Baltimore is not a southern city.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Baltimore is not a southern city.
Repeating yourself doesn't make it true.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Repeating yourself doesn't make it true.
Maybe you just havent been to real South then, which is below DC. The Eastern Shore is southern, Southern Maryland is the South, but the Baltimore-Washington CSA is NOT southern. Having influences from another region doesn't make a place southern. Hell the entire country has southern influences including New York and New England. Upstate New York towns feel more southern than Baltimore does...

People don't realize that the Mid Atlantic is it's own region independent from the North and the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City