Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
Maybe you just havent been to real South then, which is below DC. The Eastern Shore is southern, Southern Maryland is the South, but the Baltimore-Washington CSA is NOT southern. Having influences from another region doesn't make a place southern. Hell the entire country has southern influences including New York and New England. Upstate New York towns feel more southern than Baltimore does...

People don't realize that the Mid Atlantic is it's own region independent from the North and the South.
I don't know what the DC area is, as their culture is different from Baltimore area. Plus, I don't live there. I'm talking about the Baltimore area, which is clearly southern, in a clearly southern state. Baltimore's metropolitan area isn't as transient as other southern regions, so logically speaking, Baltimore is very much a southern metropolitan area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 05:53 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I don't know what the DC area is, as their culture is different from Baltimore area. Plus, I don't live there. I'm talking about the Baltimore area, which is clearly southern, in a clearly southern state. Baltimore's metropolitan area isn't as transient as other southern regions, so logically speaking, Baltimore is very much a southern metropolitan area.
You dont have to go far south from Baltimore before people will start calling you a Yankee. DC is further south geographically than Baltimore so if you think ya city is southern what does that make DC? Okay then and I'm from DC born and raised and I don't consider it a southern city, that's offensive it's mid atlantic, just like Baltimore. I used to live in Baltimore and I never felt like I was in a southern city. You're just trolling at this point. ..

Old 03-02-2018, 05:55 PM

When they filmed The Wire I wonder why they mostly got New York and DC actors to play the role instead of southern actors...?? The truth is Baltimore's black population is a mix from up and down the east coast but Baltimore has always had a northeastern influence to it.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
When they filmed The Wire I wonder why they mostly got New York and DC actors to play the role instead of southern actors...?? The truth is Baltimore's black population is a mix from up and down the east coast but Baltimore has always had a northeastern influence to it.
I wonder why they didn't mostly use Baltimore actors since, The wire was filmed in Baltimore and about Baltimore. Also, actors from DC and NYC had the worst renditions of a Baltimore accent I've ever heard. You can tell right away on who was ACTUALLY from Baltimore as who wasn't.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder why they didn't mostly use Baltimore actors since, The wire was filmed in Baltimore and about Baltimore. Also, actors from DC and NYC had the worst renditions of a Baltimore accent I've ever heard. You can tell right away on who was ACTUALLY from Baltimore as who wasn't.
The Baltimore accent is hard to replicate.. And not everyone from Baltimore has the accent.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:04 PM

This is the hottest rapper coming out of Baltimore right now and he did a remix of 6ix9ine's gummo. He doesn't sound southern at all..

https://youtu.be/z0WiC-gvu1c

Old 03-02-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
This is the hottest rapper coming out of Baltimore right now and he did a remix of 6ix9ine's gummo. He doesn't sound southern at all..

https://youtu.be/z0WiC-gvu1c
I like it. He definitely sounds like Baltimore. He doesn't sound like he's influenced by NYC , though.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 03-02-2018 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 10:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Richmond and Baltimore look nothing alike, but some parts of central Richmond do favor D.C. though.
This is false, and there have been several threads on here through the years that illustrate comparable parts of Richmond and Baltimore...

Now, Richmond and DC are more comparable and Richmond and Baltimore are mostly dissimilar, but it's just not true that Richmond and Baltimore are "nothing" alike...

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you just havent been to real South then, which is below DC. The Eastern Shore is southern, Southern Maryland is the South, but the Baltimore-Washington CSA is NOT southern. Having influences from another region doesn't make a place southern. Hell the entire country has southern influences including New York and New England. Upstate New York towns feel more southern than Baltimore does...

People don't realize that the Mid Atlantic is it's own region independent from the North and the South.
So why didn't The Wire use more Baltimoreans as central characters? Obviously everyone from Baltimore doesn't have the Baltimore accent, but would you say the Baltimore accent has no southern influence in it?

The Mid-Atlantic is not independent of the North or South. It is a part of both regions, and at least 90% of the locales within are visibly culturally influenced by both regions...

Old 03-03-2018, 05:18 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
The actors from NYC weren’t trying to sound like BMore folks at all. They actually sound like New Yorkers!

Namond is well known in Brooklyn and my best friend went to school with him and my ex girl knows him. He talks the same way he does on that show in real life!

Old 03-03-2018, 05:24 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
People say "yo" everywhere. Baltimore, I will admit, uses the term more than anywhere else including NYC. Baltimore people don't dress like people in NYC. We don't wear the oversized fitteds, we don't wear the Pelle leather jackets, I definitely don't see where you got that one from. Baltimore has Baltimore style rowhouses, not Philly style. Baltimore has always been a rowhouse city. People claim that Philly looks like NYC anyway.. Baltimore doesn't make that claim. I know exactly where you're talking about, right by Carver High School. Baltimore has always been a southern city, but people think of southern as a certain way. Baltimore is just another version of southern that defies most people's logic. New Orleans and Atlanta aren't the same, Miami and Atlanta aren't the same. Richmond has rowhouses and is nothing like Miami, but they are all southern.
New Yorkers stop wearing oversized fitteds years ago.

Pelle Pelle jackets are a Bronx and Harlem thing not Bk, Queens or Si.

As far as Miami goes it’s diffeent because it’s an immigrant city like NYC so they dont have a southern swagger. Many of the African Americans even have Bahamian blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City