Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:02 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,351,726 times

Advertisements

According to Kodeblue this is having a southern sound

https://youtu.be/gVf_4Ns3qLU

https://youtu.be/zogtwLQQEfY

https://youtu.be/FJn5wmqZPs4

Lol I didn’t call you a troll at all in this debate but I’m starting to see why a few people call you one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:33 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Ok so we agree here. What’s your point? I said Many, showing the difference that Miami Black might have compared to blacks in other parts of the south. Black Americans in Miami even have a slight different taste for food compared to other southeast regions.
You tried to distant Miami from the South because of its large immigrant population. That’s where I took issue. Does a large immigrant population make New York not a Northeastern city any longer? As far as food, it’s not like South is monolithic here. New Orleans is different from Memphis which is different from Charleston.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:53 AM

233 posts, read 170,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes and many of the Black Americans in Miami can trace their blood back to Georgia, South Carolina, and North Florida. Including my family who have lived in South Florida for over half century and friends who have been in South Florida for nearly a century according to their elders.
All (or just about all) black people in Detroit trace their roots to the South - and we're talking in most cases a grandparent or at most a great-grandparent. Because of this, the Black community in Detroit has many Southern cultural traits, especially when it comes to food yet Detroit is not a Southern city.

Miami is a Southern city by nature of her geography - but a Southern city that shares very little in common culturally with other Southern cities. Culturally speaking, Detroit has many more cultural elements in common with Southern cities than Miami does - just to make this point clear.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:01 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
Quote:
According to Kodeblue this is having a southern sound

https://youtu.be/gVf_4Ns3qLU

https://youtu.be/zogtwLQQEfY

https://youtu.be/FJn5wmqZPs4

Lol I didn’t call you a troll at all in this debate but I’m starting to see why a few people call you one!
I said Desiigner had a southern sound, not Young MA.

As far as this particular debate is concerned, I'm gonna rap this up. We're not really gonna change each other's opinion on the matter.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 03-05-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 02:09 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
All (or just about all) black people in Detroit trace their roots to the South - and we're talking in most cases a grandparent or at most a great-grandparent. Because of this, the Black community in Detroit has many Southern cultural traits, especially when it comes to food yet Detroit is not a Southern city.

Miami is a Southern city by nature of her geography - but a Southern city that shares very little in common culturally with other Southern cities. Culturally speaking, Detroit has many more cultural elements in common with Southern cities than Miami does - just to make this point clear.
I disagree but this isn’t the thread on this so I’ll just stop here as this would go back and forth.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 AM

88 posts, read 49,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
This is more understandable than the claims BrooklynJo are making. No way in hell NYC is bigger than Atlanta in hiphop in 2018.
Yeah NYC rap scene is confused nowadays as far as mainstream markets. Cardi B & Nicki Minaj right now are very successful then of course Jay-Z old self trying to keep up with the current times to appeal to the younger generation to rap on southern influence beats. Young MA is trying to bring back that NYC boom bap style but she freestyle on either a trap beat or old school boom bap beats that goes viral for anyone to even notice her.

Fat Joe and Remy Ma are too lyrical for mainstream but they get away with it on southern influential beats to be played on the radio. Asap Ferg and that rainbow colored hair rapper are noticeable but I doubt they going to stay mainstream.

I agree with you on Atlanta hip hop in 2018. Future, Migos, Gucci Mane, Rae Sremmurd, 2 Chainz, 21 Savage, and etc are taking over.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Baton Rouge has never had a throne in hip hop or an era in hip hop where theirs were multiple artist coming out. Thanks for proving my point but I’m suppose to sit here and really believe Baton Rouge is higher than NYC in hip hop? Lol yea ok that southern umbrella is a joke to just make irrelevant cities in the south feel good about themselves.

Young Ma doesn’t sound southern at. That’s a troll comment, especially since Young Ma called out people in NYC trying to do the southern and takes absolute pride in sounding Brooklyn.

Stop making things up it’s not helping your argument and if you want to. Please show me a video of Young Ma having a “southern” sound. I bet you going to say No. lol!

Hating on 69 but mentioning Gambino, Gucci and 21 savage and Young thug? Haha ok.
Mostly underground in Baton Rouge for a long time but New Orleans did in the late 90's into early 2000's before ATL takeover. Remember The No Limit Soldiers and Cash Money Records team members.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:28 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory05 View Post
Yeah NYC rap scene is confused nowadays as far as mainstream markets. Cardi B & Nicki Minaj right now are very successful then of course Jay-Z old self trying to keep up with the current times to appeal to the younger generation to rap on southern influence beats. Young MA is trying to bring back that NYC boom bap style but she freestyle on either a trap beat or old school boom bap beats that goes viral for anyone to even notice her.

Fat Joe and Remy Ma are too lyrical for mainstream but they get away with it on southern influential beats to be played on the radio. Asap Ferg and that rainbow colored hair rapper are noticeable but I doubt they going to stay mainstream.

I agree with you on Atlanta hip hop in 2018. Future, Migos, Gucci Mane, Rae Sremmurd, 2 Chainz, 21 Savage, and etc are taking over.
Young MA is the only young rapper that apparently isn't influenced by the south. They rest of them are influenced by the south in one way or another. I found an article the other day about the how the Northeast rappers becoming relevant by changing their sound to mimic the southern sound more. I'll have to find that article.

Edit/ Found it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius....cing-the-south

Last edited by KodeBlue; 03-07-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Young MA is the only young rapper that apparently isn't influenced by the south. They rest of them are influenced by the south in one way or another. I found an article the other day about the how the Northeast rappers becoming relevant by changing their sound to mimic the southern sound more. I'll have to find that article.

Edit/ Found it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius....cing-the-south
True. I remember the Exhibit C song by "Jay Electronica" said "New York rappers was calling southern rappers lame but then jacking our slang".

Haha, they jacking our beats too.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:03 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,980,692 times
NYC - cuz they INVENTED it, and their list of great rappers is still probably the longest compared to anywhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City