Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is the best
Nashville 18 26.09%
Raleigh 12 17.39%
Portland 27 39.13%
Austin 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:55 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Gee! Which "cooler" city would you have in mind?
several. At least more organically and originally cool. Of this bunch Portland is in a different class with better architecture, art, shopping, urban form, and particularly, with transit. I also like its chill and cool west coast vibe and real mountains nearby. Alot of its drug and heroin problem, outrageous prices and increasing traffic is a problem that all 4 of these cities share.

Austin is the most fun for partying. From a growth and party scene, Nashville is not on a level with Austin. The fact that Nashville is polling close to Portland here show many people on CD have not even been to the west coast. Portland to Nashville is like Nashville to Knoxville. Its a huge difference.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:11 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Raleigh is actually a larger area than Nashville. Raleigh isn't a historically larger city than the other metros in this thread however. Raleigh actually needs to catch up with it's own growth. It has only been a major metro area this past decade...

"Raleigh" is not larger than Nashville. The Triangle is...Raleigh isn't. Why do we have to keep going through this?

The Triangle also isn't yet a "major" metro but I do think it's growing in its importance. Major would consist of maybe Top 20 status...it isn't there and isn't all that close, but it is regionally important and has a burgeoning profile...

Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

"Raleigh" is not larger than Nashville. The Triangle is...Raleigh isn't. Why do we have to keep going through this?

The Triangle also isn't yet a "major" metro but I do think it's growing in its importance. Major would consist of maybe Top 20 status...it isn't there and isn't all that close, but it is regionally important and has a burgeoning profile...
I think they are talking about the region. Raleigh certainly doesn't feel larger than Nashville. Like, not even close. Raleigh feels smaller than Richmond even. I really hate CSA and some of these regional population statistics because they overinflate some areas and underinflate others.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:02 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I think they are talking about the region. Raleigh certainly doesn't feel larger than Nashville. Like, not even close. Raleigh feels smaller than Richmond even. I really hate CSA and some of these regional population statistics because they overinflate some areas and underinflate others.
What do you suggest be used other than city proper population, MSA and CSA? How can you overinflate or underinflate the actual statistics? Although one city might not be as "urban" as another the CSA population provides a better picture of it's regional influence. Especially Raleigh/Durham where the cities border each but are not included in the MSA due to established commuting formulas. Both cities actually border the Research Triangle Park that employs over 50,000 people which means the "commuting" patterns that comprise a MSA are tougher to meet. They technically commute to a common area but not between Raleigh and Durham. Anyone who visits or familiar with Raleigh Durham knows full damn well they two are part of the same MSA.

Both cities and Chapel Hill are urbanizing nicely. Downtown Durham is almost unrecognizable compared to 10 years ago. I think the most overblown generalization about RDU is the notion of being one big sprawled suburb. When in fact there are many areas of urbanity extremely suitable for anyone who prefers that lifestyle. I'll never get over people in peer cities/metros that seem to think they're cities/metros are comparable to major urban metros like DC or Philly....nope, they are not and marginally more urban than Raleigh.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-29-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 07:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
several. At least more organically and originally cool. Of this bunch Portland is in a different class with better architecture, art, shopping, urban form, and particularly, with transit. I also like its chill and cool west coast vibe and real mountains nearby. Alot of its drug and heroin problem, outrageous prices and increasing traffic is a problem that all 4 of these cities share.

Austin is the most fun for partying. From a growth and party scene, Nashville is not on a level with Austin. The fact that Nashville is polling close to Portland here show many people on CD have not even been to the west coast. Portland to Nashville is like Nashville to Knoxville. Its a huge difference.
Not really... but then you rave over a place in Kentucky. Been to all the above. Portland is not the nirvana u claim. I've seen your other posts, and frankly they're quite discredited by a lot of bluster over a city that barely registers on anyone's radar.

Again, u veer off the OP's question.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 PM

192 posts, read 241,965 times
Quote:
Not really... but then you rave over a place in Kentucky. Been to all the above. Portland is not the nirvana u claim. I've seen your other posts, and frankly they're quite discredited by a lot of bluster over a city that barely registers on anyone's radar.

Agreed wholeheartedly. While I have Nashville and Portland at polar opposite ends of this list, the gulf between the four of them is very narrow. All four are quite popular and successful. It mostly comes down to personal preference at the end of the day...a solid case could be made for any of these cities to end up on top in this poll.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Like a place in TENNESSEE is any better? See, that's my problem with Nashville. That kind of attitude. I actually love Nashville, think its a great city, charming, growing great, etc.

But its not Portland. Not even close. Especially in urbanity. Seriously...come on now. No one is veering but you by bait and switching. You are bringing up off topic cities, not me. You don't like my opinions, so you personally attack me using the same old tirade in order to discredit my posts. You want to hide the facts that I present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Even using census estimates, Portland is almost 600k people larger than Nashville. Yet, you scoff and constantly put down cities which are less than 600k smaller than Nashville. "Nashville's out of their league."
Talk about pompous boosterism. That reeks.
Where did I claim Portland is nirvana? They have serious heroin and crime problems, among other things. But it is a superior city to Nashville in built urban form, by far. No rational person would argue against that, and I have mounds of data to prove it.

Nashville can only compare to Portland in hype. I assume you have never been for over a few days. It literally feels much bigger. Much like Nashville today feels much bigger than Richmond. That doesn't make it better. Only a feeling and vibe to the city. That also doesn't mean a city cannot be compared to a city 600k bigger. But you can't compare up and not down.

Especially when your city limits and urban area are frankly, tiny like Nashville. Until recently, Nashville had smaller urbanized area than almost any mid sized southern city.

Portland is one of the densest cities in America. Nashville is blown away in density by pretty much every city there is, including most every one you think Nashville is so much better than:

America's Densest Cities | HuffPost

Portland has real transit. Portland has better architecture, better shopping, better anything. I cannot believe how much people believe the Nashville hype machine.

I am not knocking Nashville. It's a cool city doing great things. But other than growth, "buzz" and hype, lets not say its comparable to Portland. Unless you are ok with comparing Nashville with cities it has rapidly outgrown in the last 10 years.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
How is Austin in last place? That don't even make sense. Something is wrong with this poll because Austin should be in 1st place by quite alot of votes. My guess is it's more anti-Texas sentiment than it is a vote against Austin.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
How is Austin in last place? That don't even make sense. Something is wrong with this poll because Austin should be in 1st place by quite alot of votes. My guess is it's more anti-Texas sentiment than it is a vote against Austin.
The true ranking is

Portland

Austin

Nashville

Raleigh

The difference is the hype machine from Raleigh and Nashville is strong. Both awesome cities, but urban, dense, etc....they are not. Not compared to Portland. Austin is doing what Nashville is doing with young people but on an even grander scale. I am not saying Nashville can't compete with Austin, because it can in some respects, but Austin is just a grade above and it feels that way.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:34 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Funny to see folks here put these polls out in some attempt to get their favorite cities mentioned --- like having their names mentioned on radio I guess ---- and then complain that the poll does NOT go the way they wanted. They're just attempts to cheer-lead by city fanboys/gals or pleas for their cities to be recognized for ____ and/or inflate the importance of ____ in this forum.

So we'll hear silly things like, "City A is not cool anymore because of all the new tall glass buildings." Really? That smacks of the purported Yogiism that people never go "there" anymore because it's always too crowded.

And then there's my favorite: City B isn't "hip" because it's all "hype". Then I'll read comments by the same ppl to see themtouting their favorite City C with all its "hip" places and "nabes" with links to where City C is "hyped" in national rankings/mags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City