Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is the best
Nashville 18 26.09%
Raleigh 12 17.39%
Portland 27 39.13%
Austin 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:39 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Man the Austin hate truly runs strong on CD. Sheesh
Just because I don't think it's the greatest city on planet Earth, doesn't mean I hate it.

Last edited by JMT; 08-30-2017 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: removed obscene reference

Old 08-30-2017, 02:46 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Just because I don't think it's the greatest city on planet Earth, doesn't mean I hate it.
Oh boy. I don't even....... I don't even necessarily think Austin is the best city on this list. But certain people like yourself seem extremely obsessed with bashing it every chance you get. Like what did Austin ever do to you and? It's a city there's a reason a lot of people are attracted to it for it's food music Hill country scenery and good economy. It also has some obvious downsides like heat, traffic and some of the negative stigma of being a new city. What about this is so hard to understand

Last edited by JMT; 08-30-2017 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 03:01 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Oh boy. I don't even....... I don't even necessarily think Austin is the best city on this list. But certain people like yourself seem extremely obsessed with bashing it every chance you get. Like what did Austin ever do to you and? It's a city there's a reason a lot of people are attracted to it for it's food music Hill country scenery and good economy. It also has some obvious downsides like heat, traffic and some of the negative stigma of being a new city. What about this is so hard to understand
Look, I've lived in Dallas for 5 years and have been to Austin countless times. I've never encountered a city as full of itself as Austin, TX. Until you've been told to your face how much your city sucks and how theirs is the best of the best, then you'll never understand. So you can add smugness and lack of humility to the negatives as well.

I will say though that I'm glad to see many Austinities offering their help and support to those in Houston, another city they love to bash.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:35 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Look, I've lived in Dallas for 5 years and have been to Austin countless times. I've never encountered a city as full of itself as Austin, TX. Until you've been told to your face how much your city sucks and how theirs is the best of the best, then you'll never understand. So you can add smugness and lack of humility to the negatives as well.

I will say though that I'm glad to see many Austinities offering their help and support to those in Houston, another city they love to bash.
Ok I can understand where you're coming from. Personally I despise smugness considering I've spent most of my life in D.C and am surrounded by it. I didn't really get a smug vibe when I was in Austin, at least nothing compared to D.C or San Francisco, but I did meet some people who openly said they would never life anywhere in Texas besides Austin. Most of these people came from either California or NYC.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:05 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Quote:
For one, every single thing about it is overplayed and hyped up in the media. Whether it's food, stores, events, bars, etc. You would think that San Antonio, Fort Worth, Dallas, and Houston have nothing to offer in comparison. I had no idea that food trucks made Austin so special. They're present in most cities, so what's the big deal? I guess I'll cancel my trip to Honolulu and go visit Austin instead to watch bats and eat from a food truck .

Due to the endless media hype and chest pumping from its citizens & Chamber of Commerce, your average person will know more about Austin than any other TX city other than the Dallas Cowboys for Dallas lol. There are lots of people that believe that it is the only diverse city in TX and also the only one where LGBT are welcomed. Or even the only one that has nightlife. It's crazy how much myth and hype has been built around it. It's one of a few cities that I can think of that has been turned into a brand name. By visiting or moving there, your life will magically be awesome. It honestly reminds me of Jonestown.
Why do you think Austin generally gets much better press than the other Texas cities. The Austin chamber of commerce spends WAY less than its Dallas or Houston equivalents...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjciLWS36fk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxRGsNV_9GQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uri_Ie9wdqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLUjQosNCAU

Both Dallas and Houston advertise quite aggressively on national television. I have never seen a similar promotional video for Austin??

Old 08-30-2017, 05:46 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
This thread has veered off topic to a discussion of cities not in the poll. Thread closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City