Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I know that, but let's say a kid grows up a UNC basketball fan or just likes the campus and Chapel Hill but wants to major in engineering or architecture. UNC-Chapel Hill is not even an option.

UNC and NC State have plenty of other common programs to include business and liberal arts majors.
There are many, many people who don't attend university in alignment with their fan allegiance. My sister-in-law grew up and is still a big NC State fan and she went to UNC. I know many, many others who are in the same situation. I have a good friend who went to Duke but grew up in Columbia as a Clemson fan. He's now a Duke Bball and Clemson Football fan. There are plenty of people who grew up a fan of one or the other and didn't go to either for a variety of reasons. People make it work.

Yes. There are common/similar programs between the two largest universities but key programs do not overlap. UNC has Medicine and Law while NC State doesn't. NC State has Engineering and Architecture/ Design while UNC doesn't. Those are the main ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Business, liberal arts, sciences like chemistry and biology, etc are taught at both UNC and NC State. That is a lot of majors. I don't think proximity to NC State is why NC State has engineering and architecture while UNC doesn't.

The medicine and law aspect is different because many NC State grads and grads of other schools are accepted into the UNC law and med and pharmacy schools because there are less professional schools like that. You don't have go to UNC for undergrad to get into those.

My point is UNC is not even an option, not that people who want to major in engineering and architecture can't be happy at another college. UNC -Charlotte doesn't play in a major conference and doesn't have as much name recognition, which is a bigger deal than rankings in my view when it comes to getting a job.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:34 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
I don't think proximity to NC State is why NC State has engineering and architecture while UNC doesn't.
That explanation makes sense. Historically, Harvard never made a big push to improve its engineering programs because MIT was down the street.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:29 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
North Carolina for the win...

US NEWS National University Rankings 2017

University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC

#30 in National Universities

Clemson University
Clemson, SC

#66 in National Universities

North Carolina State University--Raleigh
Raleigh, NC

#92 in National Universities (tie)

University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC

#107 in National Universities (tie)

Old 06-14-2017, 05:49 AM

542 posts, read 1,107,316 times
UNC has been cheating for decades, and they're spending millions fighting it.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That explanation makes sense. Historically, Harvard never made a big push to improve its engineering programs because MIT was down the street.
UNC used to have engineering programs. They got moved to NC State in 1938.

Regardless of why, UNC is one of the few flagship universities that does not offer engineering.

Both Harvard and MIT are very small schools at undergrad level and private, and they are independent of each other. I don't see that being an analogous situation to two large public universities that are within the same university system. I believe UNC would have its own engineering school if the NC public universities were independent of each other, like is the case in SC.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
North Carolina for the win...

US NEWS National University Rankings 2017

University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC

#30 in National Universities

Clemson University
Clemson, SC

#66 in National Universities

North Carolina State University--Raleigh
Raleigh, NC

#92 in National Universities (tie)

University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC

#107 in National Universities (tie)
I don't think US News hires most graduates of any of these NC and SC schools, and US News doesn't include input from employers in their rankings. The US News rankings also doesn't give information on the professors which is really the most important thing regarding the quality of the education. In my view, that is like reviewing and ranking restaurants but not talking about the food.

What matters is what employers think and I have never seen any evidence that most or all employers would favor UNC or other NC college grads for jobs over grads of SC schools.

It doesn't make sense to me to say a school that doesn't offer engineering and architecture and several other science majors is better than colleges that do offer these majors.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-14-2017 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 12:01 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
North Carolina has one of the better university school systems in the nation.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:17 PM

178 posts, read 146,062 times
Quote:
I'm skeptical Oxford or UNC or any other college that you think is more elite is better than SC in terms of quality of the education. I don't understand how you can make that assertion if you have no experience with these colleges.
Are you serious?
How do you think parents and students choose a school when they graduate from high school?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:18 PM

178 posts, read 146,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanyankee View Post
well, then. Nothing more to see here, folks.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City