U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:21 PM

178 posts, read 70,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I would say so, especially if a person wants to live in the south. It is almost much more affordable.

Can you give one example of how the education is better at Stanford than at SC, given you are making the assertion that Stanford is much better? What happens in the classroom that makes it better?

Can you name one employer that would not consider a SC person for a job, and would always favor a Stanford grad over a SC grad for a job?

Given UNC does not have engineering and architecture, is it still better for engineering and architecture than programs like Clemson that offer both, or SC that offers engineering? Aren't engineering and architecture challenging careers?

Do you have evidence that most employers consult the US News rankings when deciding who to interview and hire for jobs? Do you have evidence that employers care more about entering freshman GPA and SAT scores at the applicant's college, because I think they care more about the major, GPA, work experience, communication skills at the interview, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here we go...
Yep!!!

Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I don't think US News hires most graduates of any of these NC and SC schools, and US News doesn't include input from employers in their rankings. The US News rankings also doesn't give information on the professors which is really the most important thing regarding the quality of the education. In my view, that is like reviewing and ranking restaurants but not talking about the food.

What matters is what employers think and I have never seen any evidence that most or all employers would favor UNC or other NC college grads for jobs over grads of SC schools.

It doesn't make sense to me to say a school that doesn't offer engineering and architecture and several other science majors is better than colleges that do offer these majors.
Here is a survey of how all the top schools in the world rank.They use many criteria including employer reputation,

USC ranks in the 601-650 range
Clemson in the 701-750 range

UNC #80
NC State #263

https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2018

Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
Here is a survey of how all the top schools in the world rank.They use many criteria including employer reputation,

USC ranks in the 601-650 range
Clemson in the 701-750 range

UNC #80
NC State #263

https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2018
Ok,

That's just one survey though. That survey appears to have been done by a Chinese University so I'm kind of skeptical. I read this article by a person in Oregon who said it has the University of Oregon similarly ranked as the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine or King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/in...ns_dismal.html

There are plenty of kids wanting to go to Clemson, SC, and other SC universities. Very popular with out of state students as well as in state. I'm all for people deciding to move to NC rather than SC, from a traffic standpoint. I'm not trying to convince anybody to move to SC, I'm only chipping in my two cents about this topic.

I don't understand what is controversial about me asserting colleges in SC are as good as NC schools. It appears some of you take this as a slight, even though you didn't even attend NC colleges and my comment isn't slighting NC schools. I have specifically praised NC State as one of the best universities in the country for STEM majors in posts on other threads.

My brother and I, and friends, have never had a problem getting jobs with a Clemson degree. One of my brother's Clemson friends teaches electrical engineering at Oxford now. Some of my college friends are physicians, pharmacists, accountants, engineers, chemists, and in other good occupations. I'm not sure how a NC college degree could have done more than what their Clemson degree did for them, given they are successful people. My father never had a problem getting a job with a SC degree, and his first job out of school was with Duke Energy in their Charlotte office, and he said there were a bunch of Clemson and SC grads working there. One of my friends who went to SC is a lawyer now. The CEO of Fluor, one of the most profitable engineering firms, went to SC, and the Greenville office is packed out with Clemson grads, as are other engineering/ architecture firms in Greenville.

Obviously UNC can't be better than Clemson, SC in programs that UNC doesn't offer. Nothing you have said refutes this.

Even if UNC and NC State were considered much better than Clemson and SC by employers, there is no guarantee any NC resident will get accepted into either of them. UNC's undergrad enrollment is actually smaller than Clemson's enrollment now, despite NC being the 8th or 9th most populated state, and Clemson being in the 23rd most populated state.

So NC's 'flagship' university is smaller than Clemson at undergrad level, which is incredible if you consider Clemson is smaller than every public SEC school. To me, it is not impressive that UNC is more selective, given it is so small for a 'flagship' public located in a high population state.

One of my previous points about advantage of living in SC in my view is a student has a better chance to get into the biggest name colleges in SC (Clemson and SC) than a student in NC has of getting into the best known NC colleges, NC State and UNC, just due to the smaller population of SC and the undergrad enrollment being relatively small at UNC for a state that size.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-15-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
Are you serious?
How do you think parents and students choose a school when they graduate from high school?
How do you know how every parent and student chooses a school? Doesn't it vary from person to person?

For many people, going out of state or to an expensive private college is not an option, so that narrows options considerably, and then choice of major can narrow it down even more.

Have you attended any college in NC or SC?

I went to a SC high school with a bunch of physician and lawyer kids and the majority of them went to Clemson or SC even though their parents probably would have paid out of state or a private if they wanted to do that.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
How do you know how every parent and student chooses a school? Doesn't it vary from person to person?

For many people, going out of state or to an expensive private college is not an option, so that narrows options considerably, and then choice of major can narrow it down even more.

Have you attended any college in NC or SC?

I went to a SC high school with a bunch of physician and lawyer kids and the majority of them went to Clemson or SC even though their parents probably would have paid out of state or a private if they wanted to do that.
Im done.I have been informed by 2 different people who sent me private messages ,telling me that you defy all reason and logic and no amount of facts will ever sway what you think.
I now see they are totally right and I will now end further reasoning with you.

I will just ad this.
No I did not go to college in either of those states .
No you are right you can go to any college for the most part and get a good job.It really depends on you/
My cousin graduated in the 10% of her graduating class at Duke 8 years ago
Another cousin got a full scholarship last year while in 11th grade to start early at Duke this year.
She got full scholarship offers from several colleges.
Both cousins looked at rankingss and several factors before deciding on Duke.
UNC was an option for them both Duke won out because of ts higher reputation and famous allumni oh yeh andaverage starting salaries was higher for Duke graduates..
Now if you are insisting that ignoring all that for lesser ranked schools in every major ranking that is out there then that what YOU think but apparently you are the ONLY one making this argument.
Not to mention these ranking are everywhere because students and parents BUY them otherwise they would not exist.
This is logic 101 but Ill leave you alone because we just aint gonna agree

Old 06-16-2017, 12:52 AM

Ok.

I understand a lot of people look at rankings. I also think it is ok to question rankings and many people do. A lot of students just go to a college that their parents or siblings or friends went to, or one that they visited and they liked, or one that is near their hometown.

In my view, a person can get better insight into schools by talking to people who attended them than from rankings with arbitrary categories with arbitrary weights done by people at magazines who didn't attend the colleges being ranked. As I've pointed out, most people know about the college rankings already so there is really no reason to cite them on forums like this. I would think anybody asking a question about colleges on here is hoping to hear from people who attended the colleges.

For example, I am the only person on this thread who mentioned SC's Life Scholarship which is available to any student who maintains a 3.0 GPA or higher in college. None of my 'here we go' critics mentioned this.

By the way, Clemson is ranked 23rd in US News and has been as high as 20th. That is higher than every NC college except UNC which does not offer engineering and architecture and several science majors that Clemson offers. I think that Clemson would be ranked as high as UNC if it reduced its enrollment down to one with the same ratio to the state population as UNC. It would be the exact same college but move up in the rankings due to the emphasis on selectivity.

My comments on here are not intended to persuade you and the people who are sending you messages. I'm posting it for people who don't have a current opinion. I attended the two largest universities in SC, and I've worked for several companies in SC and one in MD, and been made job offers in NC and VA. I think that I may have at least as much insight into how employers view Clemson and SC than people who did not attend college in the Carolinas and don't live near the two states.

Duke is a private school and my discussion has not been related to private schools. The OP asked about public schools in the two states. Duke is not part of the NC's university system. Given Duke is private, it makes no sense to talk about it in terms of states, because there is no in state tuition and Duke isn't required to take a large number of NC students.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-16-2017 at 02:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or