U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 AM

3,160 posts, read 2,608,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
What aspects make Indy better than KC?
Haven't been to either, but on paper Indy looks better because

1. No border wars. And 1/3 of the metro's not in Kansas...
2. Climate: Outside of the clouds, Indy's looks better. It's more forest, less plains.
3. There's more to do outdoors around Indy than KC because of Brown National Forest (or Park)
4. Crime rate seems lower
5. Air Quality
6. It's less Evangelical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 04:52 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,298,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

2. Climate: Outside of the clouds, Indy's looks better. It's more forest, less plains.
3. There's more to do outdoors around Indy than KC because of Brown National Forest (or Park)
5. Air Quality
6. It's less Evangelical
Thereís plenty of reasons someone might reasonably prefer Indy to KC, but thereís no need for you to tell anybody that you havenít been to either, thatís pretty clear from your response.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:38 PM

634 posts, read 466,359 times
Quote:

5. Air Quality
6. It's less Evangelical
KC and Indy are generally surrounded by farms but I know Kc is very hilly and green. I'm not sure about Indy but I know both cities have cool scenery nearby

Old 07-16-2018, 06:01 PM
sub

711 posts, read 380,885 times
Quote:

5. Air Quality
6. It's less Evangelical
1. Agree on border war. Actually, closer to 1/2 is in Kansas.
2. Kansas City in real life is just as green, more forested, and has more hills.
3. Kansas City has numerous man-made lakes in and around the metro for lots of recreation. It is close to the Ozarks. Judging by the licence plates I see in the area, Hoosiers seem to find their way to the Ozarks.
A lot.
KC is way closer.
4. Flip a coin. The difference isn't dramatic.
5. ?? KC is wide open and far removed from other cities, unlike Indy which is in a more heavily populated area with tons more traffic "just passing through". Air quality is not the most pressing issue for Kansas City.
6. Again, I have to strongly disagree with that one. Both are on the edges of the Bible Belt but not quite in. I see very little difference there.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 PM

3,160 posts, read 2,608,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
KC and Indy are generally surrounded by farms but I know Kc is very hilly and green. I'm not sure about Indy but I know both cities have cool scenery nearby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
2. Kansas City in real life is just as green, more forested, and has more hills.
3. Kansas City has numerous man-made lakes in and around the metro for lots of recreation. It is close to the Ozarks. Judging by the licence plates I see in the area, Hoosiers seem to find their way to the Ozarks.
A lot.
KC is way closer.
5. ?? KC is wide open and far removed from other cities, unlike Indy which is in a more heavily populated area with tons more traffic "just passing through". Air quality is not the most pressing issue for Kansas City.
6. Again, I have to strongly disagree with that one. Both are on the edges of the Bible Belt but not quite in. I see very little difference there.
Well, KC does look significantly more hilly than Indy, and the city itself might have more green space, but the 2.5 hr drive radius around Indy looks much more promising than KC, which looks like lakes are the only large open spaces. The Ozarks probably beat anything in Indiana, but they are almost longer than a day trip (2.5 hours in my book) away.

Fair point on crime. Concerning air pollution, it seems like a localized deal. CO Springs has great air quality and Denver's sucks.

About religiosity, C-D website seems to indicate there is quite a significant difference, with KC being more religious.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:14 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,028,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
A lot.
KC is way closer.
Well, we have man-made lakes in and around Indy too. One thing we have on our doorstep KCMO doesn't is Lake Michigan. I'll go ahead and take Indiana Dunes over any lake within 2.5 hours of Kansas City. Also, I see Missouri plates in Indiana. We are all impressed.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:49 PM
sub

711 posts, read 380,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Well, we have man-made lakes in and around Indy too. One thing we have on our doorstep KCMO doesn't is Lake Michigan. I'll go ahead and take Indiana Dunes over any lake within 2.5 hours of Kansas City. Also, I see Missouri plates in Indiana. We are all impressed.
Yea, I know there are reservoirs everywhere.
I like Lake Michigan much better than anything around KC as well, but that wasn't the point.
People flock to the Ozarks from all over, and KC is one of the closest major cities to that area, so some would see that as a positive. I see Hoosier plates in some really remote areas of the Ozarks that one would only stumble upon if they're on vacation, not just passing through.
Point is, Indy isn't on some higher plane in terms of recreation when compared to Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or