U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is America's Most Underrated City?
ATLANTA 15 9.38%
BALTIMORE 13 8.13%
CHARLOTTE 7 4.38%
CINCINNATI 14 8.75%
CLEVELAND 13 8.13%
COLUMBUS 4 2.50%
DETROIT 8 5.00%
INDIANAPOLIS 7 4.38%
KANSAS CITY 17 10.63%
MIAMI 8 5.00%
PHOENIX 9 5.63%
PITTSBURGH 37 23.13%
ST. LOUIS 8 5.00%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 AM

976 posts, read 1,119,334 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is incredibly underatted in my opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 11:48 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,090,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Philly and Baltimore, easily. Philly is a top-tier US city that people think of as second tier. I'd place it over Atlanta, Boston, all the Texas cities and possibly DC. Baltimore, imho, sits at the top of its tier, which includes Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Austin, Cleveland, Portland, and outpunches some on the next tier.
While I agree with you to some degree can we seriously stop with this city tier list B.S?

Old 06-17-2017, 12:59 PM

521 posts, read 499,466 times
I think Tacoma is underrated.
What you get for what you pay is unbelievable. Seattle is close, so not only do you have those amenities but you also have good transit, beautiful historic architecture, beach access, the second largest urban park in the nation (Point Defiance, beats anything in Seattle), urban walkable districts, a thriving artist community, relatively affordable housing, an extensive working waterfront, world class museums, great nightlife for a city of 215,000, I could go on.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:35 PM

3,581 posts, read 2,022,236 times
Tacoma is certainly underrated and Pt. Defiance is a fantastic park. But the "second largest urban park" thing is BS. In the US alone there are many urban parks over 700 acres, including multiples in some individual cities. Here's a list of a couple hundred around the world, which can be parsed for US locations and ones that are truly urban parks. It only goes to 1000 acres (not 700) so Pt. Defiance Park doesn't make it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._parks_by_size

In the early 90s I worked for an organization trying to build a big park on the edge of Downtown Seattle (didn't get built). One of my jobs was to benchmark Seattle against other cities. With no internet access, I emailed and talked to park departments all over the US and Canada in addition to using maps etc. It was a great lesson in the claims people make and how often they're false. I disappointed a Tacoma Parks person with the news that many parks are larger, but apparently the myth continues.

Some examples: Golden Gate, Presidio, Central Park, Balboa, Forest Park (STL), Forest Park (PDX), Fairmount Park...all bigger and some by multiples.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:04 PM

521 posts, read 499,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Tacoma is certainly underrated and Pt. Defiance is a fantastic park. But the "second largest urban park" thing is BS. In the US alone there are many urban parks over 700 acres, including multiples in some individual cities. Here's a list of a couple hundred around the world, which can be parsed for US locations and ones that are truly urban parks. It only goes to 1000 acres (not 700) so Pt. Defiance Park doesn't make it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._parks_by_size

In the early 90s I worked for an organization trying to build a big park on the edge of Downtown Seattle (didn't get built). One of my jobs was to benchmark Seattle against other cities. With no internet access, I emailed and talked to park departments all over the US and Canada in addition to using maps etc. It was a great lesson in the claims people make and how often they're false. I disappointed a Tacoma Parks person with the news that many parks are larger, but apparently the myth continues.

Some examples: Golden Gate, Presidio, Central Park, Balboa, Forest Park (STL), Forest Park (PDX), Fairmount Park...all bigger and some by multiples.
News to me but I'll take it. Either way, one of the best urban parks I've been to. Second to Golden Gate imo.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:51 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,246,018 times
Oakland is incredibly underrated. I guess that's life for being next door to San Fran. Oakland's MD is nearly 2.8 million and is indicative of its regional importance. By itself, it stands larger than most cities in that 2-3 million population range. The only downside I can see is that it's hard to differentiate what amenities Oakland has as a result of being right next to SF, and what amenities Oakland has that are, or could be, self-supporting if it wasn't a part of a large multi-core region...

Oakland by itself is arguably a Top 25-30 city...

Sacramento is underrated but less so than Oakland. Still underrated in the national conscious...

Never been to Milwaukee but I think it's underrated just for the fact it isn't in normal conversation...

Detroit is still underrated, with people exaggerating it's importance, influence to a lesser degree than it actually is, and exaggerating it's decline to a greater degree than it truly is (or was)...

Charlotte, which has a fair amount of hype, is severely underrated when compared to similarly-sized cities nationwide. The general population has refused to accept Charlotte as the burgeoning monster it is, a borderline Top 20 city legitimately. For example, there is not a whole lot of distance between Charlotte and fan-favorite cities like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland (and others). The perception that these older, more established cities provide some higher weight than Charlotte is outdated and becoming increasingly untrue--I'd put Baltimore ahead of Charlotte but only slightly, certainly not by a wide margin; I'd put Charlotte ahead of Cleveland easily and not by a wide margin either, but a noticeable one...amd Charlotte and Pittsburgh are pretty much neck and neck...

Charlotte is very competitive to similarly-sized cities nationally and it still gets short shift...

Old 06-17-2017, 11:30 PM

256 posts, read 144,356 times
There's no way Phoenix is an underrated city. Reading over your criteria, I think the only thing keeping it on this list is the lack of an MLS team which I think is pretty obviously not going to happen for a long time due to climate issues.

As far as answering the actual question though, I can't decide between Charlotte, Cincy, KC. I think SLC is the most underrated city I can think of, but it didn't make the list.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,904,039 times
On this poll, I voted Cincinnati.

In real life, though, I'd argue Houston (it is underrated and underappreciated for the punch it packs) and Sacramento.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:16 AM

52,659 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
On this poll, I voted Cincinnati.

In real life, though, I'd argue Houston (it is underrated and underappreciated for the punch it packs) and Sacramento.
Just curious, but why do you feel that Houston is underrated and under appreciation given its size and growth?

Old 06-18-2017, 03:36 AM

3,044 posts, read 1,182,509 times
I voted Phoenix but if Sacramento had been on the list, I probably would have voted for Sacto. I think Greenville, SC is very underrated as well. Tacoma in my neck of the woods is probably underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or