U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 10:51 AM

13 posts, read 5,459 times

Advertisements

Hello guys this is rather more a personal advise than city vs. city, since both of these cities are absolutely a opposition. I am planning to relocate this summer to either one of these cities. I am from Europe, just graduated and I have always dreamed of living in the USA. I have legal status and for a start I will take any job that will help me for the first months - waitress, shop assistant, anything.

New York:
+more jobs
+it's NYC...I have been many times in NY and feel really comfortable there in the sense of knowing the city
+transportation, so I don't have to worry about a car
-I don't have anyone in NYC I could live with, I am terrified that I will be lonely and the vision of renting with a total stranger scares me
-more expensive

Playmouth:
+I have friends there, people I trust and people who would help me for those first weeks
+cheaper
-without a car it is hard. They have one car, which serves for both of them as a couple
-Not really sure about work, probably in some mall as a shopping assistant

What do you think? Should I go crazy and go to wild NYC or use my "comfort zone" and stay with suburban Plymouth?

Best
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 PM

43 posts, read 28,962 times
Just stay in Europe.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:57 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Nyc

Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
I think the Road Warriors were from Plymouth

Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,407,241 times
For generations, immigrants have moved to places where they have connections. Immigrants didn't come to New York because it was New York; they came because that's where other immigrants from their native countries had settled. It's going to be a lot easier for you to make a life in Minnesota, so move to Minnesota. If, years later, you have the means to move to New York and still fantasize about it, do it then.

I've never even heard of Plymouth but it appears to be a fairly close-in suburb of Minneapolis, so you'll have the advantage of employment opportunities there and throughout the area (assuming you have access to a car).

Old 06-15-2017, 11:27 AM

20,203 posts, read 28,238,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
For generations, immigrants have moved to places where they have connections. Immigrants didn't come to New York because it was New York; they came because that's where other immigrants from their native countries had settled. It's going to be a lot easier for you to make a life in Minnesota, so move to Minnesota. If, years later, you have the means to move to New York and still fantasize about it, do it then.

I've never even heard of Plymouth but it appears to be a fairly close-in suburb of Minneapolis, so you'll have the advantage of employment opportunities there and throughout the area (assuming you have access to a car).
^^ This

Old 06-16-2017, 03:15 AM

13 posts, read 5,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post

Thanks, that's absolutely true!

Old 06-16-2017, 05:12 AM

52,612 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Also, Plymouth is a community that has grown fairly well(around the national percentage) that is upper middle class. So, it wouldn't be a bad place to end up in.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 AM

33 posts, read 14,281 times
The Minneapolis-St. Paul area is great, and Plymouth is a nice suburb. I'd opt for giving it a try there since you have a connection.

Since not having a car would be difficult in Plymouth (though you may be able to catch the bus into the city from there, not sure), you could consider moving into Minneapolis itself, where you could live in some areas without a car. You'd still have the advantage of having friends nearby that you could bunk with for a while (to job/apartment hunt) and it would be much easier to afford your own place in MSP than NYC, thus avoiding the roommate situation.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 AM

20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
I'd opt for staying with your friends in Plymouth for a bit while trying to look for a place to rent and a job in Minneapolis or St. Paul. The actual twin cities there is a lot more vibrant and interesting than the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City