Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times

Advertisements

I live in Boston and grew up in providence. The fact that you would compare the two is absurd. You clearly don't like Boston and that's fine. Or maybe you're the type of person that'll get sick of wherever you live. The Boston population is growing and remains third most dense in the USA. It's a great city if you love an urban lifestyle. No its not NYC or even close. So you don't like Newport go to the hamptons in 4 hours. What you don't like the ocean? I think it's more about you than the city. There's being objective and there's biased bashing. You take the later. The population is growing and business is fine. The city won't sweat your loss..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:37 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
As Garbanzo mentioned, the crime in Chicago is mostly isolated to a few areas, none of which are areas that you would be looking to move to and those areas are far removed from downtown. The possible downside of Chicago is the Winter weather. Now if you like a change of seasons and don't mind some mind numbing cold, then Chicago all the way! It's just a great city.

I've been to NY, LA and yeah, NY is huge and impressive. LA? meh, I don't get the fascination. Downtown was a real disappointment. You also mentioned Atlanta. I lived there for many years and exited stage left! Now being AA, Atlanta may be of interest to you, but it's nowhere near the level of Chicago, NY, LA, etc. It's more of a giant suburb with a few mid-rise buildings here and there. A sprawling hot mess IMO with no density/walkability, weak transit and no real identity/character, but it may work for you if a big dense alpha city is not your thing...

I could have written this post. My general feelings exactly. Only thing different is that I would have used more flowery language and maybe cleverly interspersed titles of a few of my favorite songs within the message.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:39 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
No perfect city every city has it's pros and cons, visit a few cities and make a list of what you like and if you can afford it.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:52 AM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I live in Boston and grew up in providence. The fact that you would compare the two is absurd. You clearly don't like Boston and that's fine. Or maybe you're the type of person that'll get sick of wherever you live. The Boston population is growing and remains third most dense in the USA. It's a great city if you love an urban lifestyle. No its not NYC or even close. So you don't like Newport go to the hamptons in 4 hours. What you don't like the ocean? I think it's more about you than the city. There's being objective and there's biased bashing. You take the later. The population is growing and business is fine. The city won't sweat your loss..
I said Providence is more fun than Boston. That's not hard to do. So are Buffalo, Philly, Cincinnati, etc. Boston just isn't "fun." Sorry I hurt your feelings.

I've been to Newport, Nantucket, etc. It's like Bostonians and New Englanders have the same 5 ideas of what to do in the summer. Typical.

I never said anything about the population or business or leaving. You people are so soft. Just honest criticism. Like I said, many would agree here.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:59 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I said Providence is more fun than Boston. That's not hard to do. So are Buffalo, Philly, Cincinnati, etc. Boston just isn't "fun." Sorry I hurt your feelings.

I've been to Newport, Nantucket, etc. It's like Bostonians and New Englanders have the same 5 ideas of what to do in the summer. Typical.

I never said anything about the population or business or leaving. You people are so soft. Just honest criticism. Like I said, many would agree here.
Buffalo? Are you kidding me? That city is absurdly depressing. The Sabres tend to be a pick me up for that city, THE SABRES.

Yes the Cape, the NH Lakes are world class. I hiked Mount Major last weekend and I kid you I heard as much French as English, it's not just New Englanders who love New England.

You seem to seriously hate life in Boston, you seem to want to live literally anywhere else nobody is keeping you there.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Buffalo? Are you kidding me? That city is absurdly depressing. The Sabres tend to be a pick me up for that city, THE SABRES.

Yes the Cape, the NH Lakes are world class. I hiked Mount Major last weekend and I kid you I heard as much French as English, it's not just New Englanders who love New England.

You seem to seriously hate life in Boston, you seem to want to live literally anywhere else nobody is keeping you there.
Typical New England response to criticism: go away!

Buffalo is open til 4 am at least.

I like the NH lakes and mountains. Not sure why the butthurt is so strong when someone says Boston just isn't a very happenin place. This is self-evident. Not sure why you are in awe that a buncha Quebecois drive a couple hours. That's really not surprising at all. Also, I don't hate my life in Boston. I just don't define myself by whether or not my city has a subway system and if I can walk to bars or where I go hiking on weekends (very common for most people on here to think your city is your defining trait essentially).

Old 06-15-2017, 12:18 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
There is a reason Bostonians go to NYC on weekends and not vice versa. Boston is a sleepy little town at its heart, that just happened to grow too much. The attitude is still there though. Just not much going on. Cities half its size have a much more fun and vibrant vibe. I've had much better times in Manchester NH and Providence RI to be honest. The climate is pretty awful. And the sun goes down super early. Come to Boston, get your degree from whatever school still manages to somehow have a good reputation, take an entry job at a biotech firm, university, or financial institution, get out in a few years.
What does that mean? Are you saying the schools in Boston and the metro area are overrated?

Quote:
After a while of living here, you get sick of hearing about all the supposed awesomeness of Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, all the old usual suspects.

Boston actually is exactly #10 now. It will soon be passed by SF and Seattle.

So taking answers from someone who lives in a city is somehow not a good thing? What a joke. You have clearly no clue what you're talking about. LOL so unbiased, get out of here with that self-righteous nonsense.

Everything I said is true, and most people in Boston would agree (it's almost universal here that people say Providence is more fun than Boston, btw, clearly you have never lived here). I never said it's necessarily "bad" that things don't really happen here much or that it's "bad" to use the city for your career's purposes. Those are actually good things. You are just super sensitive for no reason.
SF perhaps, but Seattle still has a long way to go before it passes Boston's metro area.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What does that mean? Are you saying the schools in Boston and the metro area are overrated?

SF perhaps, but Seattle still has a long way to go before it passes Boston's metro area.
I think universities as a whole are overrated, regardless of where they are. But no, I'm saying that one of Boston's good points is that you can come here and get credentials from a university that people will be impressed by.

Seattle is growing at a pretty high clip.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:22 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Typical New England response to criticism: go away!

Buffalo is open til 4 am at least.

I like the NH lakes and mountains. Not sure why the butthurt is so strong when someone says Boston just isn't a very happenin place. This is self-evident. Not sure why you are in awe that a buncha Quebecois drive a couple hours. That's really not surprising at all. Also, I don't hate my life in Boston. I just don't define myself by whether or not my city has a subway system and if I can walk to bars or where I go hiking on weekends (very common for most people on here to think your city is your defining trait essentially).
My point is it's not a bunch of New Englanders, people from Jersey and NY go up New England Quebec and Ontario folks m go out there it's the NErn 1/4 of the Continent not New Englanders who are traveling to go to local destinations around Boston.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:58 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
I'm not sensitive. I respect objective discussions and you I'm not able to engage in one. You clearly have an biased agenda. It doesn't help when someone is asking a legitimate question about her future is not getting reasonable objective responses. I think it's sad that someone with someone with such a personal agenda against a place chooses to stay. No amount of money would make me do that. I also wouldn't grade a city based on time of last call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City