U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 3,836 times

Advertisements

PLEASE HELP!

I'll be graduating soon and I'm trying to narrow my list down to 2-3 cities max. I've found companies I'd like to work at in all of these cities so that won't be an issue. I understand that jobs are the main factor of living, but I couldn't imagine living somewhere I don't like. For example, a cool company has it's headquarters in Harrisburg, PA but is that a desirable place to live?

Cities:
-NYC: Nothing beats it, yet it's $$$ and crazy
-CHI: Similar to NYC, but crime and no other major city nearby
-BOS: Education soars here, but heard issues with race
-LA: Entertainment mecca (eventually want to live here), but it's far (I live on the East Coast)

Potential Adds:
-ATL: Affordable and happening, but it's in the south
-Austin: Affordable and liberal, but it's in Texas
-PDX: Seems cool, but maybe too cool?

About me: Single, Straight AA female, 21, Communications degree

I'm interested in living in a place that has vibrant nightlife, friendly residents and a huge young population (20-29). I do have a car that I'm not willing to trash. I'm liberal and diversity (race and sexuality) is important to me. Cost of course is a factor, but I'll try to make do. However is $1000 for a room possible in NYC?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM

15,682 posts, read 3,115,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygal97 View Post
PLEASE HELP!

I'll be graduating soon and I'm trying to narrow my list down to 2-3 cities max. I've found companies I'd like to work at in all of these cities so that won't be an issue. I understand that jobs are the main factor of living, but I couldn't imagine living somewhere I don't like. For example, a cool company has it's headquarters in Harrisburg, PA but is that a desirable place to live?

Cities:
-LA: Entertainment mecca (eventually want to live here), but it's far (I live on the East Coast)

Potential Adds:

I'm interested in living in a place that has vibrant nightlife, friendly residents and a huge young population (20-29). I do have a car that I'm not willing to trash. I'm liberal and diversity (race and sexuality) is important to me. Cost of course is a factor, but I'll try to make do. However is $1000 for a room possible in NYC?

Austin is not very diverse because its the whitest major city in Texas however there's a huge young population due to UT and its known for its nightlife especially on 6th Street.Netime and best of luck,OP.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:24 PM

115 posts, read 48,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygal97 View Post
PLEASE HELP!

Cities:

Potential Adds:

Boston's nightlife is easily the worst there and even locals think it's lackluster relative to it's peers, and Boston is ridiculously expensive. Worst income inequality in the nation. The climate is also terrible. It's a place to get an education or advance your career. That's it.

80% of Chicago crime issues are concentrated in 30% of the city. Chicago is not 100% crime all over the city. It's huge.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:32 PM

20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Instead of eventually wanting to live there, why not just shoot for LA directly? You're also not willing to junk your car and it seems like you're willing to pay $1000 for a room in a shared apartment which is doable in LA.

$1000 for a room somewhere in NYC is possible, but it probably won't be too great and you will almost certainly want to ditch your car if you're on a budget as car ownership is a hassle and the tickets and parking add up quickly.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 PM

615 posts, read 313,775 times
Nyc
La

Chi

Bos

Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 PM

84 posts, read 87,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Nyc
La

Chi

Bos
Very insightful!

Old 06-14-2017, 09:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 3,221,250 times
As Garbanzo mentioned, the crime in Chicago is mostly isolated to a few areas, none of which are areas that you would be looking to move to and those areas are far removed from downtown. The possible downside of Chicago is the Winter weather. Now if you like a change of seasons and don't mind some mind numbing cold, then Chicago all the way! It's just a great city.

I've been to NY, LA and yeah, NY is huge and impressive. LA? meh, I don't get the fascination. Downtown was a real disappointment. You also mentioned Atlanta. I lived there for many years and exited stage left! Now being AA, Atlanta may be of interest to you, but it's nowhere near the level of Chicago, NY, LA, etc. It's more of a giant suburb with a few mid-rise buildings here and there. A sprawling hot mess IMO with no density/walkability, weak transit and no real identity/character, but it may work for you if a big dense alpha city is not your thing...

Old 06-15-2017, 08:09 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
Boston's nightlife is easily the worst there and even locals think it's lackluster relative to it's peers, and Boston is ridiculously expensive. Worst income inequality in the nation. The climate is also terrible. It's a place to get an education or advance your career. That's it.

80% of Chicago crime issues are concentrated in 30% of the city. Chicago is not 100% crime all over the city. It's huge.
There is a reason Bostonians go to NYC on weekends and not vice versa. Boston is a sleepy little town at its heart, that just happened to grow too much. The attitude is still there though. Just not much going on. Cities half its size have a much more fun and vibrant vibe. I've had much better times in Manchester NH and Providence RI to be honest. The climate is pretty awful. And the sun goes down super early. Come to Boston, get your degree from whatever school still manages to somehow have a good reputation, take an entry job at a biotech firm, university, or financial institution, get out in a few years.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 AM

403 posts, read 157,471 times
Boston is not as large as the other cities listed and as a result will have less to do in the city proper. It is still a top 10 msa with surrounding cities like Cambridge, Somerville and Brookline that have their own character and are accessible by city subways. The region, proximity to coast (Martha's vineyard, Newport etc) and mountains, proximity to other major cities (by car or train not plane) are advantages over Chicago. The city has plenty of bars and clubs. Granted it closes at 2 am. If you're looking to rave until 4 am Boston is not your city. Bjimmy you seem a bit salty, why don't you get out or grow up. The op is looking for unbiased responses. I can be objective and say where la, NYC, and Chicago are better. If you are looking for smaller scale, close proximity to coast, mountains, other major cities but still highly urban Boston may be a good choice. I agree if your end goal is to be in LA than why not just go

Old 06-15-2017, 11:06 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Boston is not as large as the other cities listed and as a result will have less to do in the city proper. It is still a top 10 msa with surrounding cities like Cambridge, Somerville and Brookline that have their own character and are accessible by city subways. The region, proximity to coast (Martha's vineyard, Newport etc) and mountains, proximity to other major cities (by car or train not plane) are advantages over Chicago. The city has plenty of bars and clubs. Granted it closes at 2 am. If you're looking to rave until 4 am Boston is not your city. Bjimmy you seem a bit salty, why don't you get out or grow up. The op is looking for unbiased responses. I can be objective and say where la, NYC, and Chicago are better. If you are looking for smaller scale, close proximity to coast, mountains, other major cities but still highly urban Boston may be a good choice. I agree if your end goal is to be in LA than why not just go
After a while of living here, you get sick of hearing about all the supposed awesomeness of Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, all the old usual suspects.

Boston actually is exactly #10 now. It will soon be passed by SF and Seattle.

So taking answers from someone who lives in a city is somehow not a good thing? What a joke. You have clearly no clue what you're talking about. LOL so unbiased, get out of here with that self-righteous nonsense.

Everything I said is true, and most people in Boston would agree (it's almost universal here that people say Providence is more fun than Boston, btw, clearly you have never lived here). I never said it's necessarily "bad" that things don't really happen here much or that it's "bad" to use the city for your career's purposes. Those are actually good things. You are just super sensitive for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City