U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,243,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Murk stated that, and your response indicated that you agreed with him. Do you agree or disagree?
You are mistaken. I didn't say Richmond didn't have Southern peers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
An earlier post mentioned that he's seen Rich compared to other mid-sized Southern cities. Which is true, because Richmond is still a Southern City, however...Richmond is unique within the South in that Richmond does not view itself as a competitor to other Southern cities. We talk about it on here, but that doesn't reflect reality, not the government of this city, not the universities, not the pop culture, etc. The cities Richmond look to for inspiration are Northern cities. This doesn't mean that Richmomd isn't comparable to other Southern cities, because it is and any city can be compared to another--but Richmond isn't competing with Southern cities...
I said Richmond does not view itself itself as a competitor to or in competition with other Southern cities. Which is true...Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, the Florida cities--hell, every other sizable city in the South is in competition with each other and views itself as that, and weighs itself against how other Southern cities are performing and what they are doing. With the exception of maybe Louisville, as they seem to measure themselves against Midwestern cities...

Richmond measures itself versus larger Northeast cities. It's already understood that Richmond has stronger cultural and social ties to larger Northeast cities than it does to any city within the South (besides Norfolk/Hampton Roads), so the only reason this is a surprise to you is because maybe you didn't know that. Which is cool, and is understood by anyone whose been anywhere around Richmond, and is presumably what he was agreeing with, because it's not debatable to anyone other than those who don't know...

Old 06-21-2017, 06:23 AM

430 posts, read 240,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Murk stated that, and your response indicated that you agreed with him. Do you agree or disagree?
I agree with exactly what I said. Virginia is a southern cities so obviously it is going to have southern peers. However, it models its self after more Northern cities as far as development and infrastructure goes. Thank you for taking the time to gain understanding and not just creating your own interpretation of my words.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 AM

430 posts, read 240,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I agree with exactly what I said. Virginia is a southern cities so obviously it is going to have southern peers. However, it models its self after more Northern cities as far as development and infrastructure goes. Thank you for taking the time to gain understanding and not just creating your own interpretation of my words.
*Richmond is a southern city so obviously it is going to have southern peers

Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
You're welcome.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Quote:
You are mistaken. I didn't say Richmond didn't have Southern peers:
Now you are backtracking. You clearly stated "but Richmond isn't competing with southern cities."

Quote:
I said Richmond does not view itself itself as a competitor to or in competition with other Southern cities. Which is true...Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, the Florida cities--hell, every other sizable city in the South is in competition with each other and views itself as that, and weighs itself against how other Southern cities are performing and what they are doing. With the exception of maybe Louisville, as they seem to measure themselves against Midwestern cities...
You are flat out wrong.

Quote:
Richmond measures itself versus larger Northeast cities. It's already understood that Richmond has stronger cultural and social ties to larger Northeast cities than it does to any city within the South (besides Norfolk/Hampton Roads), so the only reason this is a surprise to you is because maybe you didn't know that. Which is cool, and is understood by anyone whose been anywhere around Richmond, and is presumably what he was agreeing with, because it's not debatable to anyone other than those who don't know...
There is no surprise because you have no evidence to support this. You are making up stuff to boost Richmond as being better than its southern counterparts.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 AM

27,752 posts, read 24,763,128 times
It would be nice if people presented some evidence to support their argument either way.

Competing with certain cities ≠ modeling itself after certain cities. Two different things.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 AM

922 posts, read 1,405,416 times
Quote:
I've been to Nashville twice, and enjoyed it both times, but it's not one of my favorite cities, either. It's a lesser Charlotte to me, and that's probably the quickest name association I could assign it. Again, nowhere in Virginia like it. I do like
Charlotte and Nashville are virtually nothing alike. Both Southern. Both NFL cities. Both about the same size. Other than that, nada.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Charlotte and Nashville are virtually nothing alike. Both Southern. Both NFL cities. Both about the same size. Other than that, nada.
You do realize that by virtue of both cities being Southern--and the same kind of Southern for the most part--that encompasses several similarities, right? Kinda hard to say they are "virtually nothing alike" in light of that.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 AM

922 posts, read 1,405,416 times
Not necessarily. Southern can refer simply to a geographic location SOUTH of the Mason Dixon line. In fact, the various differences and diversity underlying the meaning of "Southern" is what gets debated on this forum each day. That's what I DO REALIZE. Jacksonville and Jackson are both Southern, and yet virtually nothing alike.

Too many people on these forums who have only driven through the South attempt to pass themselves off as knowing what Southern means.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Not necessarily. Southern can refer simply to a geographic location SOUTH of the Mason Dixon line. In fact, the various differences and diversity underlying the meaning of "Southern" is what gets debated on this forum each day. That's what I DO REALIZE. Jacksonville and Jackson are both Southern, and yet virtually nothing alike.

Too many people on these forums who have only driven through the South attempt to pass themselves off as knowing what Southern means.
Give me a break. Both Nashville and Charlotte are geographically AND culturally Southern. Who are you trying to fool? Certainly not this native South Carolinian and former Charlottean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or