U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:46 PM

340 posts, read 190,933 times

Advertisements

These States seem very similar to me than they are different and I wonder what people would consider when choosing to live in either of these three States. All three are similar in culture, weather, speech, and are relatively close to each other. All three states have some Appalachian influence and Southern influence, and they all have mid-sized cities. I understand economy and jobs can drive people toward one state over the other, but are these States really all that different, broadly speaking?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 PM

27,036 posts, read 23,913,845 times
The biggest difference is that neither TN or KY has a Northern Virginia which skews things for the state of Virginia. I mean Kentucky does have Northern Kentucky (Cincinnati suburbs) but it doesn't come close to being the juggernaut that is NoVA.

Oh and TN and KY aren't coastal either.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 PM

When you say VA is skewed by NOVA, are you talking in terms of economics and population?

Old 06-15-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
When you say VA is skewed by NOVA, are you talking in terms of economics and population?
As well as culture and politics. VA is barely considered a Southern state by some due to NoVA's influence on the state.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:18 PM

256 posts, read 135,928 times
Yeah I'd have to say from an outsider's perspective the biggest differences is having parts of D.C. in Virginia as well as the coast. So, basically Virginia is more liberal and less-southern feeling (although not geographically) in general compared to Kentucky and Tennessee, who are more similar to one another.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:46 PM

Yes, the coast is one big difference between VA and TN, KY, but the rest of VA seems to be very similar to TN and KY outside of NoVA and the Coastal areas, and maybe Richmond too, but I have seen comparisons between Richmond and other mid-sized Southern cities.

It does seem that NoVA has an enormous influence on the rest of the State.

For KY and TN, I have seen people get very upset when they are compared, but I truly cannot find many differences between the two, except for the tax laws.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, the coast is one big difference between VA and TN, KY, but the rest of VA seems to be very similar to TN and KY outside of NoVA and the Coastal areas, and maybe Richmond too, but I have seen comparisons between Richmond and other mid-sized Southern cities.

It does seem that NoVA has an enormous influence on the rest of the State.

For KY and TN, I have seen people get very upset when they are compared, but I truly cannot find many differences between the two, except for the tax laws.
For what it's worth, Richmond and Louisville are very comparable.

I don't know how historic or urban Covington is, but it would probably be most comparable to Alexandria.

Knoxville and Lexington have similarities as midsized college cities. TN nor KY really have a notable, quintessential college town like Charlottesville.

Hampton Roads, Nashville, and Memphis don't really have counterparts in the other states. Although Nashville and Hampton Roads are about the same size, size is probably the most significant thing they have in common. Memphis is in the same general tier as Richmond and Louisville, but the later two are best paired together.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:47 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,061,740 times
Quote:
These States seem very similar to me than they are different and I wonder what people would consider when choosing to live in either of these three States. All three are similar in culture, weather, speech, and are relatively close to each other. All three states have some Appalachian influence and Southern influence, and they all have mid-sized cities. I understand economy and jobs can drive people toward one state over the other, but are these States really all that different, broadly speaking?
I don't know what culture and speech similarities you speak of. Even the weather is different...

This isn't a "just NOVA tips the scales for Virginia" thing. The two most important cities in Virginia, Richmond and Norfolk, are culturally unlike anything in Tennessee or Kentucky, though yes, aspects of culture (such as the arts) are similar between Rich and Louisville--but even those cities aren't very alike culturally. We certainly don't sound like anybody from Kentucky, Louisville or otherwise...

About the only way you could consider the three states "very similar" is if you're looking at Southwest Virginia or Southside Virginia. Otherwise, nah--and seeing as ~70% of Virginians reside in The Big Three (NoVA, HRVA, RVA), if say that most of Virginia is very unlike Kentucky or Tennessee, in almost all imaginable ways...

I've never been a fan of Kentucky; never had a reason to be. I have deep family ties to Memphis. It isn't one of my favorite cities, but I have a deep, I don't know, I guess you can say "appreciation" for it, and lived there for a year as a teenager. I've been back often since then (most recently last September). Memphis will always have a place in my heart. There is nothing even close to Memphis in Virginia...

I've been to Nashville twice, and enjoyed it both times, but it's not one of my favorite cities, either. It's a lesser Charlotte to me, and that's probably the quickest name association I could assign it. Again, nowhere in Virginia like it. I do like Knoxville very much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For what it's worth, Richmond and Louisville are very comparable.

I don't know how historic or urban Covington is, but it would probably be most comparable to Alexandria.

Knoxville and Lexington have similarities as midsized college cities. TN nor KY really have a notable, quintessential college town like Charlottesville.

Hampton Roads, Nashville, and Memphis don't really have counterparts in the other states. Although Nashville and Hampton Roads are about the same size, size is probably the most significant thing they have in common. Memphis is in the same general tier as Richmond and Louisville, but the later two are best paired together.
Memphis' best comparison would be to Norfolk, definitely more than it is to Richmond (and yes, they are all generally in the same tier, but Norfolk and Memphis abut each other while Richmond is on the higher end)...

The comparison between the two wouldn't be so much as similar layouts, architecture and things of that nature obviously--but as two #2's within their states and the regional history and importance of both...

Old 06-15-2017, 06:49 PM

I guess my experience with Virginia is more with the Southwestern Appalachian side of the State, so that is where my perception of the State is. I have never been to Virginia Beach or Richmond. Growing up in Ohio, my family would always travel down I-77 for vacations through Wytheville and the Jefferson National Forest. I also have a family friend who lives in Staunton, VA and I frequently camp in the Cumberland Gap and Breaks Interstate Park area of Virginia so I see a lot of similarities to Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Tennessee. So it seems that maybe outside of Southwest Virginia, much of the rest of the Commonwealth is different from KY and TN?

Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 PM

1,770 posts, read 906,188 times
Quote:
Virginia is a blue state today purely because of NOVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or