U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM

1,480 posts, read 1,287,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
You would think with having the Black Expo and Circle City classic every year, the organizers would do MUCH more. It's just the same-ol, same-ol every year. They're doing virtually NOTHING to attract young Black talent to Indy, and it's pitiful.
That is more of a reflection of the lack of a strong HBCU presents in the city. The skill and talent is there, it is just that the city lacks the institutions it once had to pull it all together. As a result the young, talented and more progressive blacks leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:00 PM

3,312 posts, read 2,238,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Agreed...it really feels like a small town. That whole area feels like several small towns like Lexington, KY mashed up with Charlottesville Va with a little Macon, GA sprinkled in. You get the idea...the first two towns are beautiful college towns, and Macon isn't that nice but improving....RDU does NOT make me feel like I am in a big urban city the way Indianapolis does even though neither city is impressive and downtown Indy has too many chains, and on a recent visit, far more aggressive bums than I ever remember.

To be honest, I think Raleigh has much prettier and more preserved city neighborhoods than Indy. Indy's neighborhoods leave so much to be desired.
I'd agree with all that too. Plenty of people really like Durham--i ain't one of em. It's very much small town, with the characteristic Carolina suburban look in its "urban" areas. It does have a pretty attractive downtown for its size...

And I hated Macon and would be happy to never see that town again lol...

Raleigh is a prettier city than Indy. It doesn't have the aura of a big city, but they are trying. I wouldn't characterize Raleigh as a small town and when people say that, I think they are mistaken...however, it is a highly suburbanized city, with its interesting areas truly spaced apart. It has a nice amount of things to compared with cities it's size--its not like it has absolutely nothing there. My biggest beef with Raleigh is that the areas most Raleigh fans rave about are average. Not horrible, but not world-beating:

Cameron Village is highly overrated and nothing more than a residential neighborhood with a small commercial shpopping center...Oakwood is another small residential area, very quaint, but nearly as architecturally impressive as I'd been led to believe...Five Points is small and average...North Hills/Midtown is a replica of a number of suburban retail/residential districts in Charlotte...Boylan Heights is unimpressive...etc, on and on...

On the flipside, while Downtown Raleigh is on the smallish side and lags behind most of its peers in street level vibrancy downtown, to say it isn't vibrant at all would be a lie. It's easy to get around, and there is a decent amount of things to do. There are worse downtowns in this weight class, or downtowns that are as underwhelming (Buffalo's downtown is just as much a ghost town if one wanted to characterize it as such, and Memphis' downtown is literally nothing outside of Beale; there are other examples)...

Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 PM

4,270 posts, read 3,333,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
You would think with having the Black Expo and Circle City classic every year, the organizers would do MUCH more. It's just the same-ol, same-ol every year. They're doing virtually NOTHING to attract young Black talent to Indy, and it's pitiful.
That is too bad. They probably don't consider Indy at all. My mentor in college moved to Indy 20 years ago with his family, but has been riddled with problems ever since. His house was broken into three times, and his daughter was murdered in a shootout in the street. He liked the city to raise his family but said that the city lacked a professional black base, and has crime issues.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:08 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,220,217 times
Raleigh-Durham, The southern sunbelt cities are winning these days. For the long haul Raleigh-Durham has all the right pieces and geographically is nearly the perfect state. Mild weather for the most part.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:21 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,574,299 times
Climate: Indy's summers while not perfect are much better than Raleigh's. Same goes for Raleigh when it comes to winters.

Nature: "Close" to the mountains is very relative (Raleigh IS about 3 hours from some of the best in the East, but mostly everything before that is flat. If we're talking right around town, Indianapolis may enjoy an advantage in the natural scenery dept (South of Indy is very pretty, around Bloomington, Brown County State Park. I don't think a similar area exists that close to Raleigh.

Economy: I think both are pretty good but have different niches. I think for what your looking for though, Raleigh maybe.

Urbanity: I think Indy's downtown is better than Raleigh's is, though I think Raleigh has more interesting surrounds (Chapel Hill, Durham, Cary, etc)

Location: Difficult to say. Indy is closer to Chicago and within a shorter drive of a number of cities, and has the stunning and rugged Lake Michigan coastline, plus Appalachian Subranges and Mamoth Cave within a few hrs.
Raleigh is closer to the Urban NE, has the ocean a couple hours East and great mountains a few hrs West as mentioned, a number of reasonable sized cities around it.

Livability: Based on my tastes and preferences, and the fact that Indianapolis is significantly cheaper, I would take Indy. But everyone is different.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:38 AM

15,677 posts, read 3,108,907 times
Raleigh-Durham

Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,692,928 times
I currently live in Raleigh but am a mover and always on the lookout for another cool city to move to...Indianapolis is in my top 5, along with Columbus and Louisville. Indianapolis is an older metro than Raleigh, and so has the older urbanity and historical charm type buildings. Indy has had at least 300,000 people since the 1910s...Raleigh has had at least 300,000 people since the 2000s. According to wiki, Raleigh is denser than Indy which I believe...Indy has 361 square miles to Raleigh's 143...If you doubled Raleigh's land area to include Cary and Durham I'd imagine the population would be approaching Indy easily. But it's all new....so take from that what you will. Just sort of rambling. I really like both cities. They're very different. In terms of vibrancy...I would probably give Indy the edge here.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:32 PM

19 posts, read 11,155 times
I'm thinking the OP is long gone, with all of the pissing going on here. Returning to her(?) original desires, it's pretty simple to be objective here.

Neither has a big city vibe, not compared to San Francisco, or most European capitals. Indy's older and more developed CBD seems a win but is ultimately a fail in that regard.

Both have great schools, both some bad ones, so just don't choose the wrong district. What the OP likely heard was that NC in general has historically been at the bottom of the list nationally for lower education (K-12), but that's an average, Raleigh has nationally ranked schools to choose from, and actually appears before Indy. Fun fact, Illinois dominates the list of top high schools.

I drive the length/breadth of Indiana every two weeks, requiring me to go around (and occasionally through) Indy, so I understand the assessment that it is isolated, because outside of it in at least 4 directions by interstate, it feels like un-populated flat farmland for a hundred or more miles, fair or not. Obviously, Raleigh (and Western/Central NC) are heavily wooded, and unsurprisingly it has a much better park score.

With her 400K max budget, she can comfortably afford a very nice 3BR house in a safe neighborhood with good schools in both cities, with little issue.

Tech job market favors Raleigh, obvious reasons.

Raleigh is more hot and humid, at least there are more trees for shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fata Morgana View Post
Hi everyone,
We have lived in SF for the last 10 yrs and now my dh, who is in software, has the opportunity to transfer to either Indianapolis or RTP but we're having a hard time deciding. I'm originally from Chicago and dh is originally from a European capital, so we're used to big cities w/a more cosmopolitan vibe. We also have a 7 year old with an IEP so schools are important. I've always lived in cities but in quieter, more residential areas near parks and wood-like areas (proximity to nature is important; also miss four seasons). Ideally, we'd be looking for a SFH under 400K, 3 bdrm and at least 1800 sq ft with mature trees. The job market seems healthier in the Raleigh-Durham area yet the schools seem worse? At least that's what I've heard. I'm not a fan of hot, humid weather but Indy seems only slightly better in that regard.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-15-2017, 10:53 PM

4,270 posts, read 3,333,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Raleigh-Durham, The southern sunbelt cities are winning these days. For the long haul Raleigh-Durham has all the right pieces and geographically is nearly the perfect state. Mild weather for the most part.
I like Raleigh's metro area. There are really neat small towns in the area. The great thing is that even though the small towns are charming, you are never too far away from amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City