U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:30 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,348,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
What insults? People have said that Austin is not as diverse, not as cosmopolitan, and is geared toward a certain crowd. All of which are true.

Personally, I don't think it's that different from Dallas or Houston. It's just marketed as such.
Please actually read the comments before quoting me again. Start with the first page and then work your way to page 4. If you're not willing to read, don't come after me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 03:38 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,058,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lived in Texas 30 years. 10 of those Austin. Visited Dallas and Houston probably over 100 times each. Family in Dallas and south Texas. What else do you need to know?

And I've posted numerous posts highlighting Austin in this thread and that awful KC vs Austin thread that frankly get ignored because people don't want to look like they're wrong.
I was just curious since we get a lot of posters who like to speak on behalf of TX, but have never spent any time there. Phoenix gets a lot of those too.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
In reference to your last paragraph on Blacks in Austin, one reason is because they butchered the Texas Relays. Austin's racism really comes out when that event rolls around. Even though SXSW brings in more fights and BS.
A lot of underage people crowding 6th street is not fun. I think Galveston restaurants used to close when a predominately black event was in town. I'll let you figure out why.

A lot of people avoid 6th during Relays, the biker festival, etc, because there's just a lot of people standing around outside. Too crowded.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 822,294 times
Quote:
Please actually read the comments before quoting me again. Start with the first page and then work your way to page 4. If you're not willing to read, don't come after me.
Alright, tough guy, take it easy.

I've read the whole thread. I don't see insults.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Alright, tough guy, take it easy.

I've read the whole thread. I don't see insults.
I'm not tough? I'm saying if you're going to ask me something, read the thread, plenty of insults, some very obvious, some subtle.

And I have an obsession with Dallas? I'm on an Austin thread and people are comparing it to Dallas and Houston. You have a weird obsession with......me maybe?

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 06-23-2017 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-23-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I was just curious since we get a lot of posters who like to speak on behalf of TX, but have never spent any time there. Phoenix gets a lot of those too.
What is your experience with Texas?

Old 06-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...what are you talking about? Are you even reading my posts correctly? I am not at all comparing the cities or anything outside of me questioning how Austin is a "conservative Portland" as someone else just suggested.

And did you really just say that Dallas was the CENTER of DFW?
Dallas isn't the center of DFW? What would you say is? Denton or Waxahachie?

You posted that you've never heard of a comparison between Austin and Portland, when many compare them sister cities. And it's certainly more conservative than Portland. So, what are you upset about?

Old 06-23-2017, 04:27 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,058,608 times
Quote:
What is your experience with Texas?
I went to high school in Keller (DFW area), was stationed at Ford Hood, lived in Austin, and partied everywhere else.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:31 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,124,161 times
Quote:
nearly half of the 2 million people that live in the Austin metro area, live in Austin.

Dallas has about 1.3 million people out of the 6.5 million residents. Dallas, while the center of the DFW metro area, is just a small part of the metro area. Looks like about 25%? So, as a whole, the suburbs are more noticeable. Without, 5 million in the burbs, Dallas is just a city of 1.3 million people. You've been trying to push the burbs away, but they're there and they surround your city. Austin, not so much.
Dallas County votes pretty solidly Democratic as well and that's a population approaching 3 million, so it's not just the city of Dallas. Dallas County has re-elected a hispanic lesbian sheriff more than once.

Outside of Dallas County there are liberal areas as well, but generally the DFW burbs feel more Libertarian than anything (at least in the core suburban counties). Plano is a city to watch as it is really changing a lot and not a big conservative stronghold like people like to assume and has it's own LGBT Pride celebration.

Denton is another great example of a laid back, progressive feeling college town with a great arts and live music scene and they even have a fun gay bar there with the best bar name ever: Mable Peabody's Beauty Parlor & Chainsaw Repair. lol I just love that!

And Tarrant County has around as many gay bars as Austin. DFW is just a different animal than Austin and the Austin Metro.

What areas outside of Austin in it's metro has gay bars or even Pride celebrations?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:46 PM

1,522 posts, read 988,568 times
Quote:
My inferiority? I'm not the guy from a 6.5 million metro hating on a 2 million metro. Hell, I don't even live in Texas. I just find it hilarious, the usual 7 or 8 guys that come in to either overtly or subtly insult Austin, a few have admitted they hate the attention Austin gets.
You are really blind if you can't see your inferiority issues or hypocritical attitude. You are the one constantly hating on DFW and Houston. Just look through your own posts and you constantly say negatives about the cities and people from there. And of course people are comparing DFW and Houston to Austin here. Did you even read the title of this thread? Yeah it has Austin about the title but it is specifically about comparing it to the other cities in the state.

Like I said and others have since pointed out, no one has insulted Austin while you have insulted numerous posters, claiming they are just haters who always come in just to bash on Austin. You are doing it in the post above. If you want to be taken seriously, you can actually link us or quote the specific posts in this thread you are referencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or