U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:04 PM
JJG

13,236 posts, read 19,125,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Dallas isn't the center of DFW? What would you say is? Denton or Waxahachie?

You posted that you've never heard of a comparison between Austin and Portland, when many compare them sister cities. And it's certainly more conservative than Portland. So, what are you upset about?
This area doesn't revolve around Dallas. It's not the only major city here... to suggest otherwise is insulting.

And I said I've never heard of Austin as a "more conservative" Portland. You seem to be generalizing that a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 04:21 PM

768 posts, read 979,447 times
I mean, Dallas, Austin, and Houston are all great cities to live in. I've lived in Austin for college and from Houston, visited Dallas many times. Fun times to be had. As far as impressive urban core, I think Austin and Houston are shining stars. Houston has massive skyscrapers and lovely neighborhoods like Montrose. Austin feels very walkable in general. Dallas is meh in that regard but there's some cool stuff going on like Deep Ellum, Oaklawn, and the arts district.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:12 PM

2,961 posts, read 4,326,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I mean, Dallas, Austin, and Houston are all great cities to live in. I've lived in Austin for college and from Houston, visited Dallas many times. Fun times to be had. As far as impressive urban core, I think Austin and Houston are shining stars. Houston has massive skyscrapers and lovely neighborhoods like Montrose. Austin feels very walkable in general. Dallas is meh in that regard but there's some cool stuff going on like Deep Ellum, Oaklawn, and the arts district.
I can't think of any urban designed neighborhoods in Houston though. Dallas and Austin seem to be the better choices for that.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:50 PM

1,644 posts, read 819,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I can't think of any urban designed neighborhoods in Houston though. Dallas and Austin seem to be the better choices for that.
You probably could have gotten away with saying this around 2007ish when it was spotty before the big apartment boom around Downtown and immediate areas.

Remember Houston is the actual center of an almost 7 million person metro so the core will be larger and take more time to fill. But since 2010, Midtown (and West Gray area too) has really taken off for example. Its larger than Uptown Dallas geographically and had more to fill but now its pretty impressive in between 45 and 69 and east of Spur 527. Once the Pierce Elevated is demolished, it will connect to Downtown seamlessly. Then you have East Downtown which is like a larger State Thomas. Block after block of 2 to 4 story townhomes.

But Houston already has a giant neighborhood of townhomes in Rice Military. The problem with the neighborhood is that some streets have spotty sidewalks that hopefully the city/management district will continue to take care of. But south of Midtown is the Museum Park area which is like a new and improved Rice Military and only blocks away from light rail.

Some people underestimate how much the core of Houston has grown since the recession. The energy boom really brought in a lot of people and a lot of new apartments/townhomes in the core.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:21 PM

4,777 posts, read 2,930,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You are really blind if you can't see your inferiority issues or hypocritical attitude. You are the one constantly hating on DFW and Houston. Just look through your own posts and you constantly say negatives about the cities and people from there. And of course people are comparing DFW and Houston to Austin here. Did you even read the title of this thread? Yeah it has Austin about the title but it is specifically about comparing it to the other cities in the state.

Like I said and others have since pointed out, no one has insulted Austin while you have insulted numerous posters, claiming they are just haters who always come in just to bash on Austin. You are doing it in the post above. If you want to be taken seriously, you can actually link us or quote the specific posts in this thread you are referencing.
How have I been critical of Houston and DFW?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas County votes pretty solidly Democratic as well and that's a population approaching 3 million, so it's not just the city of Dallas. Dallas County has re-elected a hispanic lesbian sheriff more than once.

Outside of Dallas County there are liberal areas as well, but generally the DFW burbs feel more Libertarian than anything (at least in the core suburban counties). Plano is a city to watch as it is really changing a lot and not a big conservative stronghold like people like to assume and has it's own LGBT Pride celebration.

Denton is another great example of a laid back, progressive feeling college town with a great arts and live music scene and they even have a fun gay bar there with the best bar name ever: Mable Peabody's Beauty Parlor & Chainsaw Repair. lol I just love that!

And Tarrant County has around as many gay bars as Austin. DFW is just a different animal than Austin and the Austin Metro.

What areas outside of Austin in it's metro has gay bars or even Pride celebrations?
Yet despite having a higher percentage of minorities, it still voted 35% for Trump vs 27% for Travis County.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This area doesn't revolve around Dallas. It's not the only major city here... to suggest otherwise is insulting.

And I said I've never heard of Austin as a "more conservative" Portland. You seem to be generalizing that a little.
I linked 3 articles from out of state sources comparing the two. I don't know who you're looking to hear from specifically, but at this point, I don't know how to prove it to you. I guess if your buddies in ft Worth aren't talking about Portland/Austin, then it's not happening?

Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 PM
JJG

13,236 posts, read 19,125,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I linked 3 articles from out of state sources comparing the two. I don't know who you're looking to hear from specifically, but at this point, I don't know how to prove it to you. I guess if your buddies in ft Worth aren't talking about Portland/Austin, then it's not happening?
Clearly, we're not on the same page here...

Old 06-25-2017, 11:15 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,222,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I like Houston, but it's clear you haven't experienced much of Dallas. Uptown Dallas is way ahead of Midtown Houston in terms of urbanity, walkability, and vibrancy. I'd say Downtown Houston & Downtown Dallas are fairly similar. Also, massive skyscrapers doesn't necessarily make a city vibrant. It's how these skyscrapers address the street and whether or not they are inviting to pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or