U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,147,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Nah. Polarized means there are two sides. It's pretty much hated here. I'll spare you the who, what, and why it's hated.
Lot of people love Austin on here what are talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,448,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Just because a city is "progressive" instead of more conservative, or has more yuppies moving into it doesn't mean it should be an example to be followed. Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio all have pretty high livability scores too.

Houston is always recognized as a great city to live in for the COL/Salary ratio, diversity, and food.

Dallas is always recognized as a financial hub in the south/Texas, and continues to be one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

San Antonio is recognized as a popular tourist destination, has a stable economy as well, and reasonable COL.

So no, I personally think Austin, while nice, is very overrated and is becoming expensive, so I don't think it is the leading example in Texas because the other 3 Texas cities very much hold their own as well.
that's superficial but economically Austin is setting a good example by being on top of the game...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#63b9d1fb1e2f

Old 06-19-2017, 01:41 PM

35,325 posts, read 24,986,098 times
From the cities I've visited (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Lubbock) , Austin is the only liveable place in the state. There and Big Bend NP are the places in TX to visit. That's it.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM

5,617 posts, read 7,413,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
From the cities I've visited (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Lubbock) , Austin is the only liveable place in the state. There and Big Bend NP are the places in TX to visit. That's it.
Apparently it isn't the only "liveable" place in the state considering more people "live" and have chosen to live in the other cities/metros (minus Lubbock). That word liveable...so ridiculously overused here on CD.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM

1,078 posts, read 957,327 times
The bad thing about the Austin hype is that when outsiders visit they'll be sorely disappointed.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM

5,617 posts, read 7,413,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
That same could be said of L.A...but L.A has gotten bitten by the SF bug...meaning high tech, geek hipster scene
So has Phoenix. However, I would imagine Phoenix is benefiting from what SF isn't doing right rather than what it is doing.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:10 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,448,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
The bad thing about the Austin hype is that when outsiders visit they'll be sorely disappointed.
Despite enjoying San Antonio more, Austin was far from disappointing. Great people, great food, hot girls and pretty foreign friendly.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:21 PM

1,078 posts, read 957,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Despite enjoying San Antonio more, Austin was far from disappointing. Great people, great food, hot girls and pretty foreign friendly.
It's just like any other Texas city, really nothing special about it, so what exactly does it have over trendy hoods in Dallas or Houston other than being smaller?

Old 06-19-2017, 02:23 PM

872 posts, read 1,404,378 times
Nope, its what outsiders/transplants want Texas to be. Not gonna to happen though...

IMO, it the least livable city in Texas due to lack of diversity and big city amenities.

I also want to know what does liberal mean to most of you because IMO, cities like Austin, Seattle and San Francisco are not liberal, maybe pseudo liberal. The only true liberal cities in the USA are New York and Los Angeles. These are the only cities that I have been to that have been "open" to other people and their ideas.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:24 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,221,455 times
Man you are clueless AF. Dallas and Houston are established cities and have been much longer than Austin has. Dallas in particular has had a vibrant tech corridor years before Austin was remotely considered anything other than a college town/state capital. Ever hear of Texas Instruments?

Dallas also has a much more diversified economy than Austin does. Austin is more of a niche city, which is why I think it's easier to "hype" it to death. Houston and Dallas are in the big boy leagues and thus compete with other diverse major metros. They do have their "hipster" scenes, but they don't flaunt it as much as Austin does. Too many different scenes, ethnic groups, etc. to solely focus on one aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or