U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 PM

3,956 posts, read 1,493,464 times

Advertisements

Austin doesn't need to be copied elsewhere. That's not a slam against it, just a note that there's no need to push some area into it's mold. And that won't happen anyway.

I'm not sure why people feebly and foolish think they can reshape Texas and Texas cities/towns by some artificial means, or towards some artificial goal. That's pure foolishness and pipe dream fantasizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,126,795 times
Dallas already has it's "Austin" type of scene and thankfully it's a huge area with many other scenes as well. There's something for everyone.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 PM

18,242 posts, read 25,941,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Wow, alright let me be really specific. I visited Dallas but did not go out. That doesn't mean i didn't drive/walk around to see what was happening. It did not seem as lively as Austin , that's all. Houston nightlife is terrible in comparison to Austin. It is like comparing Memphis nightlife with Nashville. At the time a friend of mine was at Rice university and he showed me around. For a city the size of Houston it's nightlife was lame. You can ask students living in Houston and most of them will say SA and Austin has a better nightlife.
That depends on type of music you like. If I want lounges and hip hop and r&b with live blues and jazz, I'm taking Houston over Austin everyday.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:00 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,126,795 times
Quote:
Wow, alright let me be really specific. I visited Dallas but did not go out. That doesn't mean i didn't drive/walk around to see what was happening. It did not seem as lively as Austin , that's all. Houston nightlife is terrible in comparison to Austin. It is like comparing Memphis nightlife with Nashville. At the time a friend of mine was at Rice university and he showed me around. For a city the size of Houston it's nightlife was lame. You can ask students living in Houston and most of them will say SA and Austin has a better nightlife.
Austin is set up more like Fort Worth. Centered in Downtown and a hip fringe area SoCo for Austin and W 7th in FW.

Dallas is set up differently with an improving downtown and a ring of developed neighborhoods with their own unique identities and scenes. The different areas of Austin all kind of have the same scene and people.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:00 PM

144 posts, read 88,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
The differences between the cities, which are not as huge as their respective boosters maintain can be nicely summed up in the differences between their biggest events: the Houston Rodeo versus The Texas State Fair versus South by South west. All 3 cities could learn from each other, both positively and negatively.
Pretty sure Formula 1 is bigger than SXSW.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,356,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
Pretty sure Formula 1 is bigger than SXSW.
How do you figure? I'd think ACL is bigger than Formula 1.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 PM

144 posts, read 88,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How do you figure? I'd think ACL is bigger than Formula 1.
Are we talking about SXSW or ACL?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 PM

482 posts, read 217,084 times
Quote:
We all know the fame Austin has; a city a bit too liberal to be in Texas and a city of innovation and arts. Almost every list has Austin ranked pretty high for livability and jobs. Some call Austin the silicon valley of Texas. So with all this praise Austin has received, do you think Houston, Dallas and San Antonio will follow its footsteps
Any one city can learn from another, but as far as places like Houston and Dallas following Austin?

What's the population of the Houston and Dallas metros? How many Fortune 500s are headquartered in Houston and Dallas? How many major airports do they have, and what's their annual airline passenger volume compared to other metros? How many large ethnic communities are in those metros? How many languages are spoken? What are their restaurant scenes like? How about concerts and festivals? World class museums and attractions? How much upscale shopping do they have? And what is the sheer volume of well-paying jobs in those metros?

I love Austin, and generally speaking people are proud of their successful younger siblings; they typically don't follow them though.

Houston and Dallas wrestle with the big boys. I sometimes get mildly frustrated that Dallas does not have more of the characteristics of places like New York, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, London, even Mexico City. But Austin? Again I love the place, but let's not make it out to be something it isn't and will likely never be: a Top 10 U.S. metro area.

What Austin has done so impressively is carve out a unique enough identity to earn a seat at the table alongside Houston and Dallas, and for that I applaud them. They're a great example of the forceful power of word-of-mouth. It's almost like a legend. Austin is what happens when you bring visitors to your town, show them a good time, then send them home with good stories for their friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
As for the name recognition, the crowning irony is that both Houston and Dallas spend WAY WAY more promoting their cities than Austin which simply relies on its festivals and word of mouth. The differences between the cities, which are not as huge as their respective boosters maintain can be nicely summed up in the differences between their biggest events: the Houston Rodeo versus The Texas State Fair versus South by South west. All 3 cities could learn from each other, both positively and negatively.
As much as I love Dallas I do believe our showcase event is pretty lame. I'll put it more bluntly: I can't stand the State Fair. I don't even bother to go anymore because I get bored and agitated after about 15 minutes. It just has that whole cheap carnival vibe about it.

I'm generally not a rodeo guy and I haven't been to the Houston Rodeo, but I did have occasion to drop in on the San Antonio Rodeo once or twice. That was a good time, so I assume Houston's would be a multiple of that!

But overall yes, South-by-Southwest is more than just an event: it's marketing genius.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,004,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
As much as I love Dallas I do believe our showcase event is pretty lame. I'll put it more bluntly: I can't stand the State Fair. I don't even bother to go anymore because I get bored and agitated after about 15 minutes. It just has that whole cheap carnival vibe about it.

I'm generally not a rodeo guy and I haven't been to the Houston Rodeo, but I did have occasion to drop in on the San Antonio Rodeo once or twice. That was a good time, so I assume Houston's would be a multiple of that!

But overall yes, South-by-Southwest is more than just an event: it's marketing genius.
I generally agree with all of this, especially regarding the State Fair. It's nice from a historical POV (maintaining a tradition) and impressive by the sheer size of it, but I don't think it's the greatest signature event for Dallas. Fair Park in general is undergoing some changes so hopefully it will become a more year-round site of attractions. Dallas does have a decent heavy metal and EDM scene and there are a lot of music festivals in the area. Whether or not those "scenes" should become Dallas's "signature event" is up to debate.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 PM

399 posts, read 232,989 times
Quote:
that's superficial but economically Austin is setting a good example by being on top of the game...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#63b9d1fb1e2f
It isn't superficial, Forbes and Business Insider both listed Houston as one of the cities where your dollar goes the furthest. And the part of my post you highlighted had to do with the fact that just because a city is viewed as "progressive" or "liberal" doesn't mean it should be viewed as better to live in, because not everyone that is looking to move has those values and, frankly, most annoying over the top liberal cities such as San Francisco, Boston, DC, and Austin are becoming very expensive and are pricing people out.

Yes, Austin is doing great economically, but Houston and Dallas aren't slacking at all by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or