Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Urban Core?
Boston 25 15.43%
San Francisco 45 27.78%
Toronto 71 43.83%
DC 15 9.26%
Minneapolis 6 3.70%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:20 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,178,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Washington is the most powerful in the world and has an aesthetic befitting of such stature. Have you been to the Library of Congress or the Capitol Building? How many world-class buildings does Toronto have that rival the ubiquity and fame of the White House, the Pentagon, the Supreme Court, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, the Jefferson Memorial, Mount Vernon, etc.

Look at what Architects named as the best architectural structures in the U.S.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

60% of the Top 5 are in Washington
60% of the Top 10 are in Washington
60% of the Top 15 are in Washington

DC has monuments that Toronto could never dream of. It also has a history far more glorious than that of Toronto. You walk around Washington and you feel like you are in a powerful city.

Get over your B-list city Princess. Toronto does win on ugly cookie cutter condos and 1 star kebab shops. I'll give you that. You also win on credit card debt, low wages and unsustainable housing bubbles too. Congratulations.

And lol on Toronto's food scene. Someone's clearly delirious. Call me when Toronto gets a Michelin guide (like DC already has).
Have I been to the Library Of Congress? Yes, I use to work there. The Capitol? Yes, worked there too. And they're beautiful, but when it comes to comparing the two cities particularly in their urban cores, Toronto wins easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 PM

25 posts, read 52,068 times
Quote:
Washington is the most powerful in the world and has an aesthetic befitting of such stature. Have you been to the Library of Congress or the Capitol Building? How many world-class buildings does Toronto have that rival the ubiquity and fame of the White House, the Pentagon, the Supreme Court, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, the Jefferson Memorial, Mount Vernon, etc.

Look at what Architects named as the best architectural structures in the U.S.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

DC has monuments that Toronto could never dream of. It also has a history far more glorious than that of Toronto. You walk around Washington and you feel like you are in a powerful city.

Get over your B-list city Princess. Toronto does win on ugly cookie cutter condos and 1 star kebab shops. I'll give you that. You also win on credit card debt, low wages and unsustainable housing bubbles too. Congratulations.

And lol on Toronto's food scene. Someone's clearly delirious. Call me when Toronto gets a Michelin guide (like DC already has).

No argument here on DC's history, status, and presence of dozens of impressive and historic monuments. If that's what we are talking about then DC blows all of these cities out of the water and only Boston would possibly come close to rivaling DC (but it really doesn't). The other 3 cities are simply too new.

Problem is the OP is polling these cities' downtown cores on "vibrancy, walk-ability, nightlife, jobs, and amenities." So in terms of these categories.... (I'm leaving SF and Minneapolis out- never been there)

Vibrancy- Toronto, Boston, Washington
Walk-ability- Washington/Boston Tie, Toronto
Nightlife- Toronto, Washington, Boston
Jobs- Washington, Toronto, Boston
Amenities- This is a tough one. Washington has the best subway system hands down. Boston has the best commuter rail system, although Toronto's GO Trains are extensive too. Boston also has slowest and most inefficient subway system of the 3 (yea, it's the oldest too). Toronto has the most extensive and efficient streetcar system, although admittedly this was built to aid in relieving already over-crowded subway lines. DC and Boston have easy access to airports. Mainly due to cost and distance, Toronto lags behind in this category. In terms of downtown livability and everyday amenities Toronto hands-down. This stems from its large and growing downtown population.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,150,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
You can talk negative about Toronto's architecture but it's urban core blows DC's away. And when you look at DC's urban core post modern architecture, it is hardly anything to write home about. Probably the worst of this group. Boxy, flat tops, low and stuck together. Even the convention center was so horrible, it was torn down after only twenty years in existence. And as far as urban cores I can't think of one category where the DC core outshines Toronto's. Its urban core residential population alone is a third of the entire population of the entire DC. Shopping, dining, international dining, nightlife, coffee houses, markets, corner stores, flower stands, bookstores, theaters, international feel, Toronto wins this.
Pretty accurate. In fact, the areas around Toronto's Financial and Entertainment Districts have become so crowded in recent years that the Toronto City Council voted last week to overwhelmingly 38-5 to approve and implement the King Street Transit/Pedestrian priority project:

King Street transit priority project wins landslide city council vote, construction to start summer 2017:

- Eliminating all automobile traffic from King Street for 4.4 KM through downtown core
- Complete right of way to 24-hour streetcar service
- Widening of King Street sidewalks to create public patio spaces and cycling parking

-Wiki Commons with Reusable Rights, Toronto Transit Commission

Old 07-14-2017, 04:56 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,212,060 times
Quote:

DC is a capital city ....of course it's going to have tons of monuments.

I have visited DC a couple of times, I like it, I like the monuments, all the free museums
but I didn't get the sense I was in some fantastically powerful city,
I know the prez is there and all those "powerful gov people" but the city itself didn't overwelm me,
even poor little Toronto seems more powerful than DC, even if it is actually not.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
but the city itself didn't overwelm me,
even poor little Toronto seems more powerful than DC, even if it is actually not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
SF is actually not that "urban". Only like 15% of it on the NW corner looks like a city. Even a city like Lisbon or Toulouse is more urban than San Francisco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
250,000 people live in the 6.5 square miles that make up downtown Toronto for a density of 38,461 p/sq mile.
It is the largest downtown population of any city in North America outside of NYC.
Quote:
You underestimate the size and diversity of Toronto's core. It blows all these other cities out of the water.
Quote:
Toronto's core is significantly larger, more populated, and one of the densest. It is 4x the size of SF and even larger than Boston.
Toronto's core only has NYC has its superior in North America as far as density, population, and vibrancy are concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Amazing. After all these years you still haven't learned anything about Toronto?
Besides, even without all of the prewar urban fabric, Toronto would still have the biggest, most dense and BIG CITY feeling core out of all of these cities just based on the sheer scale of the place and the amazing, never ending urban growth that is constantly transforming the core.
So as many threads now that had Toronto in the topic for months.... Post eventually go to Toronto besting, in urbanity, growth, high-rises, skyscrapers, transit, infrastructure, stature, beauty, grandeur, diversity, quaint old neighborhoods, Victorian homes, immigrants, safety .... and on. I don't thing ANY CITY claimed a win on so many merits..... and closer to a PERFECT city then certainly any American one.

I've read threads in comments of Toronto in aspects to virtually ALL of the list above is now SUPERIOR to American cities not named NYC. Just this thread it was clearly made by numerous Torontonians or its lovers.

Claims even a Houston will NEVER catch a growth of Toronto. LA, Chicago bested by Toronto, SF, Boston, Philadelphia etc. The rest..... fagetaboutit.

Claims basically see NO END to the immigration of educated workers to grow this city of Toronto and WILL NEVER SLOW till its goal is to declare ---> TORONTO UP THERE WITH a STATURE and DENSITY of a NYC..... IN THE WORLD.

Does not matter how SUBTLE it is revealed..... this evolution of Toronto. It IS THEIR UNDERLINED AIM, BELIEF AND CLAIM. Of this there should be no doubt. THE POINT WILL BE THAT YOUR AMERICAN CITY IS BEAT..... REALIZE IT.

You do have to give their universal loyalty ...... ITS DUE. As they ALL see Toronto as UNBEATABLE and INSTOPABLE.

This is merely my assessment of reading ALL these threads Toronto is in the mix with American cities.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-14-2017 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,212,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
So as many threads now that had Toronto in the topic for months.... Post eventually go to Toronto besting, in urbanity, growth, high-rises, skyscrapers, transit, infrastructure, stature, beauty, grandeur, diversity, quaint old neighborhoods, Victorian homes, immigrants, safety .... and on. I don't thing ANY CITY claimed a win on so many merits..... and closer to a PERFECT city then certainly any American one.

I've read threads in comments of Toronto in aspects to virtually ALL of the list above is now SUPERIOR to American cities not named NYC. Just this thread it was clearly made by numerous Torontonians or its lovers.

Claims even a Houston will NEVER catch a growth of Toronto. LA, Chicago bested by Toronto, SF, Boston, Philadelphia etc. The rest..... fagetaboutit.

Claims basically see NO END to the immigration of educated workers to grow this city of Toronto and WILL NEVER SLOW till its goal is to declare ---> TORONTO UP THERE WITH a STATURE and DENSITY of a NYC..... IN THE WORLD.

Does not matter how SUBTLE it is revealed..... this evolution of Toronto. It IS THEIR UNDERLINED AIM, BELIEF AND CLAIM. Of this there should be no doubt. THE POINT WILL BE THAT YOUR AMERICAN CITY IS BEAT..... REALIZE IT.

You do have to give their universal loyalty ...... ITS DUE. As they ALL see Toronto as UNBEATABLE and INSTOPABLE.

This is merely my assessment of reading ALL these threads Toronto is in the mix with American cities.
Sounds about right

Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,753,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

It's called having an inferiority complex. The Toronto boosters are desperate for affirmation because deep down they need to convince themselves they are great. So they come to the U.S. forums to badmouth all American cities and circle jerk with each other.

It's quite the sad spectacle but I don't think we can expect better of them anymore. They've brainwashed themselves to avoid reasoned debate. Which is why all threads involving Toronto devolve into monkeys throwing feces and Torontonians embarrassing themselves. Notice that there's 5 cities in this thread and we can only talk about Toronto because anytime I post a picture of Boston, Washington, or San Francisco, some juvenile Torontonians has to butt in and tell everyone how [insert negative comment] that city looks.

For the sake of Toronto's reputation, they should really learn to behave themselves. If you have to convince us that your city is great, then that means it isn't. No one in New York or London feels the need to talk up their city. 'London' and 'New York' are basically synonymous with power and prestige. The more you feel you have to promote your city, the easier we can tell your city isn't that great.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,034 times
Quote:
I think sightseeing/tourism/recreation are being vastly ignored on this thread. Urbanity is not based on the number of cookie-cutter condos or kebab shops in a city, regardless of what some may say. Urbanity is the confluence of many, many people which creates talent-based economies of scale and allows for creating truly unique attractions and urban landscapes. Having tons of people is nice, sure. But Chongqing, China has tons of people too. I've been there. The entire cityscape is hills full of 60-story residentials. The city is massive. It's surely urban based on density. But it's lacking everything that a city should thrive on: arts, retail, museums, nightlife. What's the point of having 10 million people if it doesn't translate to a vibrant, unique, and interesting city.
Nope, it certainly has all of that, just not in a language you can understand.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:49 PM

615 posts, read 593,878 times
Quote:
It's called having an inferiority complex. The Toronto boosters are desperate for affirmation because deep down they need to convince themselves they are great. So they come to the U.S. forums to badmouth all American cities and circle jerk with each other.

It's quite the sad spectacle but I don't think we can expect better of them anymore. They've brainwashed themselves to avoid reasoned debate. Which is why all threads involving Toronto devolve into monkeys throwing feces and Torontonians embarrassing themselves. Notice that there's 5 cities in this thread and we can only talk about Toronto because anytime I post a picture of Boston, Washington, or San Francisco, some juvenile Torontonians has to butt in and tell everyone how [insert negative comment] that city looks.

For the sake of Toronto's reputation, they should really learn to behave themselves. If you have to convince us that your city is great, then that means it isn't. No one in New York or London feels the need to talk up their city. 'London' and 'New York' are basically synonymous with power and prestige. The more you feel you have to promote your city, the easier we can tell your city isn't that great.
Pit Toronto against cities like Chicago, NYC, and Los Angeles and you won’t have Toronto dominate the discussion.

Pit Toronto against cities that are simply out of their league like Boston, Minneapolis, DC, and SF and you get this kind of discussion.

And of course Toronto is one of North America's great cities, to say otherwise is foolish. The only difference is because it's Canadian there is a lot of ignorance among Americans about the city.

Toronto is the 3rd largest city in US/Canada, has the second largest downtown core population, and is in the top 3 for biggest cores. Boston and Minneapolis are knives to a gunfight and the comparison alone speaks to this ignorance.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 PM

8,751 posts, read 6,674,180 times
Above San Francisco? That's a bit much.

In fact "#3" also means larger than either LA or Chicago. You didn't think that through.

It has a good case for being one of the top four cores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City