U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should the 21st centuries most influential black american live?(this person isn't here ye
NYC (Harlem) 2 6.90%
Atlanta 13 44.83%
DC 7 24.14%
Other (please list what city and why) 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:07 PM

641 posts, read 538,448 times

Advertisements

Sorry if some of you think its a dumb question...And I understand a person like that could come from anywhere but it almost seems like influential type of leaders come from these black mecca type of places (whether they were born there or moved there)

Just taking a look at some past black leaders and where they gained traction:

Mlk- Mostly Atlanta but ties to Montgomery and Boston
Obama- Mostly Chicago, but ties to LA, NYC, Boston, DC.
Web DuBois - NYC and Atlanta
Thurgood Marshall- DC and Baltimore
Frederick Douglas - DC and Maryland
Malcolm X - nyc
Farrakhan - Chicago
Oprah - Chicago
Tyler Perry - Atl

It seems that this future leader, even if raised somewhere else or currently living somewhere else, would be better off living in a city such as the one I'm asking about. Atlanta seems like it has a huge advantage over other places. But a pretty big argument can be made for DC and Nyc too. DC has many intellectual college educated types and many of those ppl have ties to nyc. NYC has more sheer numbers and many ties to DC. Atl is a powerhouse with it's blk majority, black intellects, hbcu's, and technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 AM

4,471 posts, read 2,284,314 times
^ fyi:
w.e.b. dubois is from western mass but graduated from harvard.
freddy douglas is not from there but he lived in the boston area for a while.
malcolm (little) x grew up in roxbury.
louis farrakhan is from boston.

maybe add henry gates, neil tyson (although not a political/sociological leader), michael dyson, ...

Old 06-28-2017, 04:49 AM

911 posts, read 1,009,786 times
At least five of the most influential Klan leaders in the 20th century have lived in Atlanta. That''s five times more than what could be said of any other city because no other city was home to more than one of them. The most racist place in 20th century America was none other than metro Atlanta's Forsyth County.When it was revealed that Klanswoman Neva Jane Vietch and her Klansman lover had killed her Klansman husband in 1987 instead of the two black suspects which police were looking for, it didn't make national news despite it's most unique character because it happened in the Atlanta area locale of Marietta.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:45 AM

106 posts, read 64,290 times
Houston!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 AM

641 posts, read 538,448 times
Wow. Didn't know that about atl (klansman). And that's pretty impressive for Boston.

I mention people and where they are from bc it can be argued that those people wouldn't have climbed as high as they did if they were in a place like Dallas or Kansas City. I wish Dallas and Houston was a city capable of producing such as inspirational leader but I just can't see it. They are great places to call home and work for a living.

Seems like Atlanta, DC, NYC, are the most capable cities of producing such a person or a person in Boston with ties to those cities. Or someone in those three cities with ties to Boston.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:03 AM

556 posts, read 627,059 times
Well, we've done it friends...the most ridiculous thread ever created.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:27 AM

28,167 posts, read 26,111,610 times
I don't see Portland as an option.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:41 PM

9,300 posts, read 5,171,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Sorry if some of you think its a dumb question...And I understand a person like that could come from anywhere but it almost seems like influential type of leaders come from these black mecca type of places (whether they were born there or moved there)

Just taking a look at some past black leaders and where they gained traction:

Mlk- Mostly Atlanta but ties to Montgomery and Boston
Obama- Mostly Chicago, but ties to LA, NYC, Boston, DC.
Web DuBois - NYC and Atlanta
Thurgood Marshall- DC and Baltimore
Frederick Douglas - DC and Maryland
Malcolm X - nyc
Farrakhan - Chicago
Oprah - Chicago
Tyler Perry - Atl

It seems that this future leader, even if raised somewhere else or currently living somewhere else, would be better off living in a city such as the one I'm asking about. Atlanta seems like it has a huge advantage over other places. But a pretty big argument can be made for DC and Nyc too. DC has many intellectual college educated types and many of those ppl have ties to nyc. NYC has more sheer numbers and many ties to DC. Atl is a powerhouse with it's blk majority, black intellects, hbcu's, and technology.
MLK and DuBois both had ties to Philadelphia. Ever heard of DuBois' The Philadelphia Negro?

Old 07-02-2017, 03:31 PM

56,257 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't see Portland as an option.
Can't North/NE Portland get any love?: https://oregonencyclopedia.org/artic.../#.WVlljYTyu70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmJZ1ccB7m8

Old 07-02-2017, 05:25 PM

1,945 posts, read 981,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The person could come from anywhere. Location does not equal or guarantee mindset/abilities/strengths/etc. We do not rise up from a particular spot on the globe and that location identifies and constrains us.

We are made up of living matter (genes, DNA, tissues, and so forth), not man-made stuff (dirt, concrete, roads, houses, neighborhoods). The question seems to suggest the latter.
Exactly....yet they go on, and on. I was going to post what you did, but you stated it much more eloquently than I probably would have. A true leader rises from wherever they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or