U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hardest to drive in
Boston 44 28.76%
NYC 63 41.18%
Philly 3 1.96%
Baltimore 0 0%
Detroit 1 0.65%
Chicago 2 1.31%
Atlanta 7 4.58%
Miami 6 3.92%
Dallas 1 0.65%
LA 12 7.84%
San Francisco 11 7.19%
other 3 1.96%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:07 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,335,427 times

Advertisements

I've driven in Vegas. Not bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 PM

3,964 posts, read 1,936,696 times
i lived in the big dig so that biases my opinion.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:33 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,475,465 times
I could never drive anywhere around New York. It's just, frightening. Boston and SF I'm not sure either. Very tight and narrow. I'm not used to that. Any other US city I could probably handle. Visited LA for the first time last week and I could do it. Got used to DC quickly. Atlanta and Baltimore, done it.

And that's in clear weather. Adding snow and ice, I probably couldn't do any of the northern cities. I'd be scared for my life.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:11 PM

130 posts, read 151,123 times
I don't find driving in NYC to be that difficult. To be honest, none of the cities listed are that difficult to drive in. if I had to pick, I think San Francisco is the hardest because of majorly steep hills on some streets. Being from pancake flat Chicago, those really steep hills tend to freak me out. And forget about parking on those steeets. I can never keep the wheel orientation regarding the curb straight in my head and don't feel super comfortable using the parking break even though you just pull the thing.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 PM

66 posts, read 20,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

Chicago -- especially on the North Side. Narrow streets and immense population and traffic. Try Lincoln heading north during rush hour. If you have hair now, you won't after doing this a few times... Also the JFK out to/past O'Hare is a nightmare well into the night. You can often sit in stopped traffic and watch the L trains whiz by... frustrating.
I agree 100% with this. And in particular the north side as you mentioned. The more times I drive on the north, the more I simply hate driving in Illinois in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

Atlanta -- even though I like MARTA, it hasn't expanded with Atlanta's extreme sprawl esp in the burbs to the North... They could really use commuter rail deep into the burbs to supplement MARTA's metro trains in the city and close-in burbs... Driving I-85 north; esp during rush hour, is the most horrendous freeway experience I've had in the United States.
As I just recently came back from my 1.5 week vacation in Orlando, I got caught in a 2 hour traffic jam on I-85 N about 40 miles outside Atlanta (though this was on the 3rd of July). I swear we only moved a mile total at most in those two hours. Even I have never experienced such a jam like that in Chicago around the 4th of July!

Old 07-06-2017, 07:00 PM

35 posts, read 14,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
Boston easily. It was not built for cars.

Neither was New York or Philadelphia.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:09 PM

3,964 posts, read 1,936,696 times
^ new york city and philly has since created a grid like roadway structure. boston has since asphalted the cow paths and alley ways but they are too stubburn to create a real city numbered street pattern.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i lived in the big dig so that biases my opinion.
yeah but we did have the best sign

Old 07-06-2017, 09:03 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,166,301 times
Of all car dependent cities, I'd say Detroit, but mostly due to the snow.

Of all cities on the list, NYC for sure, but I'll just take the subway instead.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:48 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,254,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I've driven in all these cities except Atlanta and Dallas. There is not a doubt in my mind, not a single, solitary doubt, that the answer is by far New York. People like to say Boston is hard. I live an hour away from Boston and drive there without a second thought. If I never drive in New York again, it'll be too soon.

It's just on another level from any other U.S. cities. If you haven't done it, let me paint you a little picture of what it's like. You can't drive in the right lane because every couple blocks, there will be a car, taxi or truck stopped there. If you want to change lanes to the left, there will be a steady flow of aggressive traffic that has absolutely no interest in letting you in. So I always use the left lane, but you can't really drive there either because every few blocks, someone will be trying to turn left -- and the traffic flow in the other direction never stops, meaning the left lane will back up as only one or two cars can typically turn per green light. (On one-way streets, this is better but still very bad because pedestrians make it difficult to turn.)

When you have to make a right turn, a steady stream of pedestrians will be crossing, making the turn impossible. Behind you, other drivers will be honking because they're very angry about your refusal to kill the pedestrians.

A former co-worker of mine just posted a Waze screenshot to Facebook this morning showing that her four-mile trip in Manhattan is projected to take 30 minutes. That honestly seemed kind of light to me. I've taken 30 minutes to travel a much shorter distance than that.

Boston? LA? San Francisco? I've done them all. None can come close to competing. Not even close.
Amazing description!!! cannot imagine being a truck driver there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or