U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 AM

238 posts, read 147,732 times

Advertisements

I live in Philly currently. I like certain aspects of Philly (walkability, food scene, big city ammenities and architecture) but the litter and trash is really wearing on me.

Sometimes I think I'd like to experience a different city in the future (a few years). I'm looking for great architecture, something near a beach or lake and a cool, unique vibe with friendly residents. DC, Charleston, Austin, and San Diego have been on my radar. Which would you pick and why??? Is there another city you'd suggest I check out?

More info....
I like the idea of being in a single family home but super close to a downtown area. I really like modern homes as as well as Spanish styles and craftsman bungalow's.

Our price range for house would be about 750- 800k. No children but Fur kids. By the time moving would be an option we'd be mid 30's/early 40's. Both work from home so we don't have to worry about employment. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:19 PM

15,687 posts, read 3,115,665 times
Austin because its in Texas

Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM

238 posts, read 147,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Austin because its in Texas
Nice to see some Texas pride. Usually I read comments like... "love Austin but hate Texas". I'm not sure if I could do the relentless heat but something sure sounds appealing about a slower pace of life in the South. Northeast can be harsh in a lot of ways but I do like the ability to travel to different areas easily if needed up here.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 AM

1,876 posts, read 1,914,133 times
DC now, San Diego to retire.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 PM

15,687 posts, read 3,115,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
Nice to see some Texas pride. Usually I read comments like... "love Austin but hate Texas". I'm not sure if I could do the relentless heat but something sure sounds appealing about a slower pace of life in the South. Northeast can be harsh in a lot of ways but I do like the ability to travel to different areas easily if needed up here.
Thanks,OP...Thats kool....I have never been to the Northeast.The heat here in Texas sure lasts a long time but I enjoy it but most people would like San Diego's climate better.I have read those comments from a lot of transplants to Austin too.You could always play at the lakes during this time of year in Austin or go to a pool also there's AC.

Last edited by C24L; 06-28-2017 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 01:48 PM

1,867 posts, read 998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I live in Philly currently. I like certain aspects of Philly (walkability, food scene, big city ammenities and architecture) but the litter and trash is really wearing on me.

Sometimes I think I'd like to experience a different city in the future (a few years). I'm looking for great architecture, something near a beach or lake and a cool, unique vibe with friendly residents. DC, Charleston, Austin, and San Diego have been on my radar. Which would you pick and why??? Is there another city you'd suggest I check out?

More info....
I like the idea of being in a single family home but super close to a downtown area. I really like modern homes as as well as Spanish styles and craftsman bungalow's.

Our price range for house would be about 750- 800k. No children but Fur kids. By the time moving would be an option we'd be mid 30's/early 40's. Both work from home so we don't have to worry about employment. Thanks!
Mine is more food for thought, rather than my choice of a specific city:

*SFH super close to Downtown - probably not likely in DC (too urban), especially in that price range. More-so in NOVA, but how close do you want to be to DT? Even then, that price range may not work out (thinking Arlington, maybe Bethesda). Not as modern either unless you go further out into NOVA or the MD suburbs bordering DC. Not as familiar with Charleston, but San Diego and Austin would have SFH "super close" to DT. Not as urban as DC. Price range favors Austin way more than San Diego. Architecture isn't Austin's strong suit though.

*Near a Beach or Lake - SD and Charleston are by far the winners for water recreation. It favors SD though because Charleston does get colder in the winter. DC would have the shortest season of them all. However, unlike Austin, you're in close proximity to the Chesapeake Bay. The beaches within a 3 hour drive of DC are also much nicer than the TX equivalents. You're probably aware of them since you live in Philly. Still, shorter swim season.

*Architecture - Definitely the DC area. I've only seen pictures of Charleston so I really can't say for sure. Definitely liked what I saw though. Probably would give it an edge over San Diego, but then again SD is way bigger than Charleston so more options. Austin would not be in my top 20 for residential architecture at all. San Antonio, parts of Dallas & Houston, and even Galveston has the nicest residential architecture in the state of TX IMO.

*Friendly Residents - I can imagine Charleston being a bit more insular due to its smaller size, although very friendly to your face. May be tougher socially. DC would be the least friendly. Lots of transplants and probably the most career-driven type A city there is. Austin & San Diego have a lot of transplants but do maintain a bit more of their west coast (SD) and Texan/Southern (Austin) attributes. One caveat on Austin -- it has an underlying insular and pretentious vibe built into its civic culture. People in San Diego are less likely to accuse outsiders of ruining their city or hyping up every single park, bar, restaurant, etc.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:49 PM

4,559 posts, read 2,521,096 times
OP, I assume you have given thought to the fact your in one of the fastest gentrifying neighborhoods in Philly, and some of your concerns might resolve themself in due time. With the two large apartment complexes being built on the west part of Washington and the constant infill, imo, it will improve the odds. Idk if that price range is going to find you what you want in DC.

You could always get involved too by contacting your Clean Block Captain for the district.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 PM

641 posts, read 493,280 times
I've been to every city on your list but Charleston and I'm well travelled...

San Diego is my favorite city in the USA. I don't think it's the greatest city but it is great for me. I love the weather. I love the people. It seems new and upscale compared to other city. It just seems very high quality. I can't quite put my finger on it but this peacefulness comes over me every time I go to that city. It's like paradise. I'd definitely suggest visiting.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 PM

1,760 posts, read 581,887 times
You may want to consider Greenville SC. Fastest growing city in the US outside of Texas. Vibrant Downtown. Super clean, like cleanest city I've even been to in the world clean. Lakes all over the area. In your price range you can buy a mansion in walking distance to downtown.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:52 AM
sub

500 posts, read 261,992 times
San Diego, even though California annoys me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or