U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM

1,876 posts, read 1,913,351 times

Advertisements

Methodology

"The states were ranked on performance in higher education as well as primary and secondary schooling and pre-K education. The measures included percentages of adults with associate’s degrees or higher, the rates of students completing public four-year and two-year college programs within 150 percent of the normal time, the average tuition and fees for in-state students at public institutions and the average debt load of graduates from public and private, colleges alike. The states also were ranked on percentages of children enrolled in preschool and on 10 basic criteria for the quality of preschools, including teacher training, class size and teacher-to-student ratios. They were compared in national testing of eighth-graders in math and reading, in rates of graduation from high school and readiness for college."

What Goes Into the Overall Score?

Higher Education - 50%
The higher education rankings track educational attainment, graduation rates, college debt and tuition costs.

Pre-K - 12 - 50%
This ranking measures enrollment in and quality of pre-K, test scores and the public high school graduation rate.

Rank State
#1 Massachusetts
#2 New Jersey
#3 New Hampshire
#4 Connecticut
#5 Maryland 13
#6 Nebraska 9
#7 Washington
#8 Iowa
#9 Utah
#10 Virginia
#11 Minnesota
#12 Wyoming
#13 South Dakota
#14 Kansas
#15 Vermont
#16 North Dakota
#17 Wisconsin
#18 Colorado
#19 New York
#20 Illinois
#21 North Carolina
#22 Oregon
#23 Missouri
#24 Montana
#25 California
#26 Delaware
#27 Indiana
#28 Maine
#29 Florida
#30 Oklahoma
#31 Rhode Island
#32 Tennessee
#33 Pennsylvania
#34 Alaska
#35 Kentucky
#36 Hawaii
#37 Georgia
#38 Ohio
#39 Arkansas
#40 Idaho
#41 Texas
#42 Michigan
#43 Arizona
#44 West Virginia
#45 Mississippi
#46 Louisiana
#47 Alabama
#48 New Mexico
#49 Nevada
#50 South Carolina

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 05:05 PM

15,682 posts, read 3,112,310 times
I am not shocked about the abysmal rating of education in the Land of Enchantment.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:34 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,197,559 times
If you transferred the failing students in the lowest ranked states to schools in the highest ranked states, I think they would still be failing students. Obviously many students go to schools in the lowest ranked states and get into good colleges and obtain good jobs with good employers. This wouldn't be possible if the K-12 education is truly no good in these states.

These rankings don't tell you anything about the teachers.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:02 PM

1,876 posts, read 1,913,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
If you transferred the failing students in the lowest ranked states to schools in the highest ranked states, I think they would still be failing students. Obviously many students go to schools in the lowest ranked states and get into good colleges and obtain good jobs with good employers. This wouldn't be possible if the K-12 education is truly no good in these states.

These rankings don't tell you anything about the teachers.
But this ranking takes into account numerous factors such as percentage of adults with a college degree, HS graduation rates, 8th grade test scores, teacher training etc.... This would suggest the states in the bottom perform poorly overall.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:50 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,297,894 times
Not to try to be mean or anything, but #44-#50 aren't surprising to be the worst. West Virginia is obviously VERY rural, and somewhat poor. Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, are all known to be not the brightest. New Mexico and Nevada are just bare, desert states...

I'm surprised Indiana & Kentucky aren't further down (I am from So.Indiana) so not trying to bad mouth it, good to see they aren't though

Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 PM

US News has SC ranked no. 13 in 4 year college graduation rate. But 48th overall in higher education. That doesn't make any sense. Obviously they arbitrarily weight different things. If SC has the no. 13 best 4 year college graduation rate,, that is evidence that the K-12 schools are good. It doesn't make sense to rank education systems by the failing students.

Again, it is highly improbable that failing students in one state would become better students in another state. It doesn't make sense to assume that they would. I know firsthand that failing students in SC schools were typically not doing their homework, studying for tests, cutting up in class, etc. These kind of students not applying themselves are going to fail anywhere. It has nothing to do with the schools.

I don't think the tuition rankings account for financial aid. For example, SC offers a sizable merit based scholarship to students who maintain a 3.0 or higher. I doubt US news takes that into account. Do the tuition rankings also account for room and board. A college could have relatively low tuition but have sky high room and board.

There are other aspects related to tuition such as some states tax residents more for higher education and in general. The higher taxation is part of the cost of higher education but doesn't get accounted for in these rankings. In terms of overall cost, many people would be better off paying a higher tuition in SC than in a high COL and tax state like CA even if tuition is lower there.

Generally failing students come from poor families and states have different percentages of poor people. Some southern states and states like New Mexico have a higher percentage of poor people.

The US rankings doesn't take that into account. It would make more sense to break out the comparisons by demographics rather than lump them all together.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 PM

https://greenvillejournal.com/2017/0...-worst-nation/

Here is a good article I found that discusses the difference between states regarding education that the US News rankings ignores.

Here is an example from the article:

'McCreary said high school graduation rate was a big factor in the ranking. Yet the requirements to graduate vary greatly from state to state. South Carolina requires 24 credits to graduate, one of the highest totals in the nation, while California requires 13 credit hours.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or